Sponsored by: APR

PTS Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 PM
FRIZ
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts
Default PTS Confirmed

Just confirmed today October build with Gulf Orange ....
Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 PM
mikehinton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that's great news, and a perfect color!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

What country do you live in?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:28 PM
FRIZ
Rennlist Member

Texas ;-)
Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's awesome!!!!!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats! Out of curiosity, why Gulf Orange rather than Lava Orange? Lava looks a bit darker/deeper from the images I've been able to find.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PTS Confirmed

I'm not all that familiar with PTS. Does one only have the option of selecting from a list or could you also request another manufacturer's color, for example BMW Sakhir Orange?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FRIZ
Texas ;-)
Did you just submit your order with a pts color and hope PAG would approve it? Are you a 918 owner? Just wondering how you got it approved.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Verinnal
I'm not all that familiar with PTS. Does one only have the option of selecting from a list or could you also request another manufacturer's color, for example BMW Sakhir Orange?
Technically you can ask for any color you want. If it's not in the Porsche catalog but is an official color of some other automaker, you may be able to just give them a paint code, but per the "Paint to Sample" name, you can also send them a literal sample by getting your desired color painted onto a piece of metal the size of a large envelope and shipping it to Germany. However, if your desired color isn't already in Porsche's catalog and approved for the car you're ordering, it will undergo a feasibility study to ensure that it can be painted consistently across the various materials that comprise the body panels, that it won't fade prematurely or unevenly, that outside suppliers where applicable can paint it properly, etc. Basically Porsche wants to make sure you'll be happy with the result and that they won't end up with expensive paint-related warranty claims. I don't know whether PTS colors that require this study incur charges on top of the regular PTS surcharge, but that feasibility study can take quite a while -- I've seen people here wait months for that to complete, and that can be a real problem with a car like this that has a very limited production window. There's no guarantee that the feasibility study will result in a pass, and if it doesn't, you could end up having been denied your PTS color AND no longer having enough time to submit a regular build.

PTS colors can also be denied for other reasons, such as hues trademarked by other companies (the Gulf colors were off-limits for a while for this reason) and colors that Porsche wishes to reserve for certain special/classic models. But if you look around you'll find Porsches painted in Lamborghini and BMW colors, for example. Here's one such thread: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...Examples&mid=0.

Last edited by jphughan; 06-16-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PTS Confirmed

This was tremendously helpful info. Thanks very much.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FRIZ
Just confirmed today October build with Gulf Orange ....
Awesome color choice, in my not so humble opinion!

On a personal note... I just got comfortable with my build and now I need to rethink Voodoo Blue!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Verinnal
This was tremendously helpful info. Thanks very much.
Happy to help. Interesting that you're considering Sakhir Orange. I briefly mulled going for BMW's Tanzanite Blue since I like the fact that it's primarily a dark blue but has this gorgeous turquoise fleck in it that gleams in bright light, which I thought gave it a nice mix of being understated/classy while still having some flair to let you know that it was something special. But between the aforementioned feasibility study timeframe and risk of losing the build slot plus the fact that I wasn't sure Tanzanite Blue worth ~$5500 over Porsche's own similar DBM, I dropped the idea.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Will try to change my order tomorrow. Mexico Blue or Maritime Blue is what I am thinking...
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

What are they charging for the privilege?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM
FRIZ
Rennlist Member

Lava orange was my first choice , Porsche said it was not approved for the GT4

I am not a 918 owner ...

For all that like Voodoo and Mexico blue both great colors . Since we already have a Mexico Blue GT3 we went with orange .

Last I asked for PTS at the very beginning ..And was told I was at the top of the list , not sure how many they may be doing . Good luck to all that ask .

And on another note the deleted my LWB without telling me .. So I have just question that this evening ..

Quick Reply: PTS Confirmed