Sponsored by: APR

Track wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:55 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Track wheels and tires

I prefer to use a second set of wheels and tires for the track to keep the factory set in good condition for street use. What are the options if any for the GT4? I'm getting the non PCCB brakes.

I know few have the car now, but perhaps some in Europe have looked into it? The five lug wheels should open up some options, but will 19" wheels clear the brakes? I know the GT3 guys have to modify the suspension to get them to clear in the rear.

I have seen many Caymans on track with either 18 or 19 inch wheels and hoosiers, but I'm guessing this is only possible with the smaller brakes?

My default option is HRE or Forgeline in near factory sizes with stock sized 20" cup 2's, but it would be nice if there were more options.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:46 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hoping that someone will find an 18" wheel that will clear the iron brakes. That will not only open up tire selection but also drop running costs. Subscribed.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:14 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I plan to track the stock wheels and tires since it comes with track tires already(pilot cups).
Old 05-30-2015, 04:30 PM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

The standard tires work great on track, had 4 track days with the cup 2s on the GTS, obviously you could step up to something like the Pirelli Trofeos or Hoosiers but that would obviously hamper the cars every day use (unless you plan to swap wheels for the track).

I'm going to stay on the Cup 2s.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
I prefer to use a second set of wheels and tires for the track to keep the factory set in good condition for street use. What are the options if any for the GT4? I'm getting the non PCCB brakes.

I know few have the car now, but perhaps some in Europe have looked into it? The five lug wheels should open up some options, but will 19" wheels clear the brakes? I know the GT3 guys have to modify the suspension to get them to clear in the rear.

I have seen many Caymans on track with either 18 or 19 inch wheels and hoosiers, but I'm guessing this is only possible with the smaller brakes?

My default option is HRE or Forgeline in near factory sizes with stock sized 20" cup 2's, but it would be nice if there were more options.
Planet-9 link
Old 05-30-2015, 06:57 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll be keeping an eye on this as well. I think if I did get a second set of wheels, I'd want to keep the OEM wheels for the street simply because I like the looks of them, and since mine would be a DD, it will spend a decent amount of time on the street when it's not at the track. I might even mount PSS on the factory wheels as well in that case. But of course that the second set needs to be a quality aftermarket option that can stand up to track usage rather than cheaper wheels that only need to handle tooling around town and on back roads, which means more $$$. On the BMW side, there are APEX wheels that have a great track reputation and don't cost very much, but it seems they don't make Porsche sizes, nor have I found their equivalent. So, given that GT3 owners are saying that Cup 2 tires are reasonable in the rain and the cold as long as you're on your game and adjust accordingly, I'm thinking I might not recover the cost of quality track wheels in reduced tire costs from using PSS rather than Cup 2 on the street in an appreciable amount of time, even if my track wheels are 19" or 18" and therefore reduce my track tire costs as well, so I may just end up running the stock wheels and tires full-time. That's mostly because I don't do much DD anyway -- I work from home a lot, my office is only 8 miles away even when I do go in, no kids, and I can use the wife's Mini a fair amount of the time as well, especially since she just started a new job that will have her traveling a lot when she isn't working from home.

But OP I wouldn't worry too much about what track use will do to your wheels. If anything I'd argue that street usage is the more hazardous environment with the risk of curb rash, mud and other gunk on the road, etc. The OEM wheels are forged, so they're unlikely to bend or flatten due to track use (unless maybe you drop a wheel off in a bad place on a nasty track?), so the only thing you'd have to worry about at the track is brake dust and rubber -- but both of those wash off quickly, and if you Opti-Coat the factory wheels, it becomes even easier.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:58 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I'm hoping that someone will find an 18" wheel that will clear the iron brakes. That will not only open up tire selection but also drop running costs. Subscribed.
Yeah, 18's would be great if they will clear the brakes. Any wheel manufacturers need some measurements to make this happen I will measure and test fit on my car. 18's or 19's with hoosiers would be ideal.

Originally Posted by jphughan
I'll be keeping an eye on this as well. I think if I did get a second set of wheels, I'd want to keep the OEM wheels for the street simply because I like the looks of them, and since mine would be a DD, it will spend a decent amount of time on the street when it's not at the track. I might even mount PSS on the factory wheels as well in that case. But of course that the second set needs to be a quality aftermarket option that can stand up to track usage rather than cheaper wheels that only need to handle tooling around town and on back roads, which means more $$$. On the BMW side, there are APEX wheels that have a great track reputation and don't cost very much, but it seems they don't make Porsche sizes, nor have I found their equivalent. So, given that GT3 owners are saying that Cup 2 tires are reasonable in the rain and the cold as long as you're on your game and adjust accordingly, I'm thinking I might not recover the cost of quality track wheels in reduced tire costs from using PSS rather than Cup 2 on the street in an appreciable amount of time, even if my track wheels are 19" or 18" and therefore reduce my track tire costs as well, so I may just end up running the stock wheels and tires full-time. That's mostly because I don't do much DD anyway -- I work from home a lot, my office is only 8 miles away even when I do go in, no kids, and I can use the wife's Mini a fair amount of the time as well, especially since she just started a new job that will have her traveling a lot when she isn't working from home.

But OP I wouldn't worry too much about what track use will do to your wheels. If anything I'd argue that street usage is the more hazardous environment with the risk of curb rash, mud and other gunk on the road, etc. The OEM wheels are forged, so they're unlikely to bend or flatten due to track use (unless maybe you drop a wheel off in a bad place on a nasty track?), so the only thing you'd have to worry about at the track is brake dust and rubber -- but both of those wash off quickly, and if you Opti-Coat the factory wheels, it becomes even easier.
I run cup 2s on my M3 on separate wheels and they work great. My main motivation for separate wheels is because the tires get torn up and pick up rubber bits on track and aren't as smooth on the street as a result. I do also have several war marks on my track wheels from flying bits on track despite coating them. I have tried using one set on several other cars and prefer having two sets.

Last edited by electron mike; 08-11-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:20 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sur some 18" rims will clear brakes... What is more worrisome is that
There isn't any tires that will not decrease the rolling diameter by less than 1-1.5 inch
Car is already low as it is...
Old 05-30-2015, 09:49 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by electron mike
I run cup 2s on my M3 on separate wheels and they work great. My main motivation for separate wheels is because the tires get torn up and pick up rubber bits on track and aren't as smooth on the street as a result. I do also have several war marks on my track wheels from flying bits on track despite coating them. I have tried using one set on several other cars and prefer having two sets.
Yeah, I've definitely noticed my tires feeling much more uneven especially immediately after a track day. The rubber sliding around and congealing elsewhere, wheel weights possibly thrown off, etc usually leaves me with steering wheel vibrations while cruising at certain highway speeds. I've basically given up and simply accepted that keeping my wheels balanced is a losing battle on a car that sees track time without dedicated wheels. I still get them balanced when I get new tires mounted to have an ideal starting point, but that's about it. But as I said above, my street driving is pretty minimal, and my long-distance freeway driving is almost non-existent. I also have a pretty small garage where I am at the moment, so storing a stack of 20" wheels would definitely be challenging. I guess I'll just see how things go with the Cup 2s in terms of street livability, capability, and wear rate, I guess.

Nice photo, btw! I think I've seen that car out there.

Originally Posted by doborder
I'm sur some 18" rims will clear brakes... What is more worrisome is that
There isn't any tires that will not decrease the rolling diameter by less than 1-1.5 inch
Car is already low as it is...
That is an excellent point and one that I forgot to call out in this thread even though it's come up elsewhere. Maybe on smooth tracks it would be fine given the front aero lips and ground clearance I've seen on purpose-built race cars, but it's definitely something to watch for, especially on tracks that have abrupt transitions.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:09 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jphughan
Yeah, I've definitely noticed my tires feeling much more uneven especially immediately after a track day. The rubber sliding around and congealing elsewhere, wheel weights possibly thrown off, etc usually leaves me with steering wheel vibrations while cruising at certain highway speeds. I've basically given up and simply accepted that keeping my wheels balanced is a losing battle on a car that sees track time without dedicated wheels. I still get them balanced when I get new tires mounted to have an ideal starting point, but that's about it. But as I said above, my street driving is pretty minimal, and my long-distance freeway driving is almost non-existent. I also have a pretty small garage where I am at the moment, so storing a stack of 20" wheels would definitely be challenging. I guess I'll just see how things go with the Cup 2s in terms of street livability, capability, and wear rate, I guess.

Nice photo, btw! I think I've seen that car out there.

That is an excellent point and one that I forgot to call out in this thread even though it's come up elsewhere. Maybe on smooth tracks it would be fine given the front aero lips and ground clearance I've seen on purpose-built race cars, but it's definitely something to watch for, especially on tracks that have abrupt transitions.
Thanks, stop by and say hello if you are out at COTA. Yeah, that is why I have a second set of wheels and tires. After the track days, I swap the brake pads and wheels, wash it, and it's back to street car mode with no wheel shimmy or brake vibrations. But if you aren't going to drive it on the street you may not care.

I think 18's and the height will work fine IF they clear the brakes and suspension. I'm going to see if I can test fit some wheels when I get it out to the track. These three Cayman's are out there regularly on hoosiers and low splitters. Hoosiers would rock!

Last edited by electron mike; 08-11-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:25 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also been keeping an eye on TWS (not to be confused with TSW) as they do exceptionally light non magnesium race wheels for a decent price and do OEM for for quite a few companies including Porsche.

OEM
http://www.tws-forged.com/tws_exspur_ex_fp.html

Track wheels
http://www.tws-forged.com/tws_t66-f.html

Personally I'd rather keep a second set of wheels for the street so I can use the Cup 2's on the track and run PSS's on the street as I just don't need that level of grip on the street and I would like to get 10,000 miles out of the tyres and I'm assuming the Cup 2's won't get close to that. I'd also kinda sorta prefer to run 19's on the street but would be fine with 20's
Old 05-31-2015, 11:02 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by IMOA
I've also been keeping an eye on TWS (not to be confused with TSW) as they do exceptionally light non magnesium race wheels for a decent price and do OEM for for quite a few companies including Porsche.

OEM
http://www.tws-forged.com/tws_exspur_ex_fp.html

Track wheels
http://www.tws-forged.com/tws_t66-f.html

Personally I'd rather keep a second set of wheels for the street so I can use the Cup 2's on the track and run PSS's on the street as I just don't need that level of grip on the street and I would like to get 10,000 miles out of the tyres and I'm assuming the Cup 2's won't get close to that. I'd also kinda sorta prefer to run 19's on the street but would be fine with 20's
The Cup 2s have a 180 tread wear rating, up from 60 on the original Cups, so 10K should be doable, depending on how many track days that 10K includes. I know treadwear rating comparisons between manufacturers are dubious, but I'm running AD08 Rs, which are also 180 tires, full-time on my much heavier E92 M3, and it looks like I'll get about 10K out of them with about 8-10 track days mixed in there.

Thanks for the tip on TWS, though, hadn't heard of them. If I do go aftermarket, I hope somebody makes OEM reps, otherwise like I said I might keep the OEMs for the road just because I like the way the car looks with them on.

I just have a feeling that based on my street driving, reserving the Cup 2s for the track won't extend ther useful life all that much, in which case having PSS street tires doesn't really save any money, unless of course you want them for better ride quality and wet/cold performance in that setting.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:25 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could get 10k miles and 4 track days out of the Cup 2's I'd be ecstatic, I was expecting more like half that. I'll be interested to see the real life results from the guys who have got them early but with half decent life it may save me a set of wheels.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:10 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

I'd suggest something from OZ and a set of NT01's. I'm sure sizing is either available or will be soon.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'd suggest something from OZ and a set of NT01's. I'm sure sizing is either available or will be soon.
Oz wheels are already made for 981 fitment. I think the challenge will be to come up with one for the front of the GT4, offset.
NT01s had several years to create sizing for the 981, so far nothing with an OEM OD. As limited as the GT4 will be it wouldn't be a good business case for them IMHO. GT3 sizing is similar and no NT01s for those yet either.

Quick Reply: Track wheels and tires