Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Build Confimed - No Bucket Seat Option - Opinion Requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:27 AM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, gotcha. Yeah, that would be too easy otherwise!

What it seems people are saying is that even customers with later builds during Fall/Winter-ish, the LWBs will still be an issue. Or is it possible Porsche may having some improvement on this problem by then?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
OK, gotcha. Yeah, that would be too easy otherwise!

What it seems people are saying is that even customers with later builds during Fall/Winter-ish, the LWBs will still be an issue. Or is it possible Porsche may having some improvement on this problem by then?
Depends on whether the supplier is able to catch up and deliver. One member posted that starting in August (after factory closing) they may be available again. But it is not certain if that holds for new or existing V200 allocations for that timeframe. I hope that the supplier can increase production over the summer and they will become available again. But nothing is certain.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:00 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

If I stay with the std Sport Seats, with the plan to install a custom fitted race seat for track days, will the cars' computer generate a warning light because no air bags in the race seat? And, is there a fix for that - other than black tape
Old 05-15-2015, 11:16 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
If I stay with the std Sport Seats, with the plan to install a custom fitted race seat for track days, will the cars' computer generate a warning light because no air bags in the race seat? And, is there a fix for that - other than black tape
I think your dealer could technically turn off that warning, but they will be very nervous about that due to potential legal liability. You may find a dealer willing to do it, if you sign a waiver. Otherwise you might need to buy a PWIS and do it yourself (much more expensive than black tape).
Old 05-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer had no problem fixing it for my 2007 GT3 RS when I replaced the stock seats with carbon buckets. Did it for free but YMMV on that part.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cons are; the cost - LWBs will add about $6,000 because it is the cost of the seat plus the Carbon Fiber trim which is a must with these seats; ; and require hoisting in and out of the seat; and they flex a lot; and they don't adjust; ; and they have virtually no shoulder suppory
Wow, so much wrong here I don't know where to start….
Old 05-15-2015, 01:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

....LWBs will add about $6,000 because it is the cost of the seat plus the Carbon Fiber trim which is a must with these seats;...
According to whom? Everybody's taste is different. As a boat salesman you should know that.

Originally Posted by otisdog
Wow, so much wrong here I don't know where to start….
+1
Old 05-15-2015, 05:07 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The cons are; the cost - LWBs will add about $6,000 because it is the cost of the seat plus the Carbon Fiber trim which is a must with these seats; and my wife will hate them; and require hoisting in and out of the seat; and they flex a lot; and they don't adjust; (don't know if I can fit in the car at 6"3" with a helmet); and they have virtually no shoulder support unless you use the harness.
I'll be skipping the CF trim because of the delamination issue and because I think the lack of contrast in the cabin would bug me -- plus the weave pattern on the seats is totally different from that of the trim, so you still won't get a matching look. But then again you'll never really be looking at the seat backs and trim at the same time, so I don't think one option mandates the other.

Hoisting in isn't really necessary (just learn to step in properly), but hoisting out may definitely get old now that I've tried it on a GT3. However, I'd much rather put up with the extra time and annoyance of hoisting out of a seat when I exit my car than spend the whole time driving my car thinking that I was missing out on a core aspect of the GT4 experience.

Didn't notice flex issues myself and that would surprise me with CF frame seats....

Lack of shoulder support shouldn't be an issue for me, especially given how tight the bolsters are.

My wife probably won't like them either (she may not even like the car, and she still can't believe I'm spending almost $100K on a car in the first place) but she's not stopping me at all on anything, to her eternal credit.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:57 PM
NZRED
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a confirmed July build that was submitted with LWB. Dealer called 2 days ago advising problem with LWB. He tried to swap us to a Sept build in hopes of getting them for us and called today to advise that is not an option and that Porsche will not be holding up the line for this.

We asked to get an even later build to wait and were advised that was not possible. He suggests we take the 0 cost seat, sell them on EBAY and put custom racing seats in. Looking for suggestions on that?

He did advise we are getting to keep the Carmine Red color if we want but confirmed that it has also been deleted as an option.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how many owners love their LWBs after living with them in the real world for a while as a street car and having to get in and out of them. As a track car, I can see the allure, but as a street car? And the weight difference between the LWBs and the 4Way Sport Seats is 20 pounds combined. If that's noticeable to anyone on here, I hope you have your racing license, and don't weigh more than 150 lbs…

Buy the sports seats and lose some weight. Your wife will love you for both. And you might live longer.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:03 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It'll be interesting to see how many owners love their LWBs after living with them in the real world for a while as a street car and having to get in and out of them. As a track car, I can see the allure, but as a street car? And the weight difference between the LWBs and the 4Way Sport Seats is 20 pounds combined. If that's noticeable to anyone on here, I hope you have your racing license, and don't weigh more than 150 lbs…

Buy the sports seats and lose some weight. Your wife will love you for both. And you might live longer.
I don't care about the weight savings for the same reasons you mention. I do care about the bolstering and firmer padding though. Sitting in them on a GT3, I was surprised how comfortable they were, and the vast majority of GT3 owners who have them and drive for prolonged periods say that they remain comfortable even for multi-hour drives, so they should be totally fine for a DD. The backrest angle was also perfectly judged (for me, at least), as were the rest of the proportions, so lack of adjustability doesn't bother me either. I'm 5'10" 200# and fit into them without feeling snug at all, and others with even larger frames have found them comfortable as well.

Egress admittedly was a bit of an issue, but the bolsters aren't as vertical as they appear in pictures and the configurator, so it wasn't as bad as I'd feared, and again, GT3 LWB owners say that you develop a finesse for getting out rather quickly and that it's no longer an issue at that point, barring any physical impairments. Egress in tight parking spaces could be aggravating, but again, I'd rather be annoyed getting out of my car than feel like I'm missing out the whole time I'm driving.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering how much the v3 GT4 seats will differ from the others??
Old 05-15-2015, 10:41 PM
mm1
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

No LWB. My order got pushed up from August build to now July and is locked today. Guessing a September delivery instead of late Oct.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:32 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mm1
No LWB. My order got pushed up from August build to now July and is locked today. Guessing a September delivery instead of late Oct.
Nice! Congrats.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:30 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

So, I know there are some GT4 guys out there who are really passionate about these LWBs, and for the record I love them too. But, in looking at the pros and cons I pointed out a few things that you may have missed when evaluating which seats to choose.

Flexing - if you look at Chris Harris' video, you will see numerous occasions of some real seat movement, and keep in mind he is a very small man - my guess 150lbs. See time: 4:40 on his video...

Trim Choice - IMO, CF LWBs are a mismatch with standard interior bits making the seats that much more expensive if you choose the CF trim. I too like the contrast the aluminium trim provides on the otherwise all black dashboard. However, I found on my GTS that the CF was appealing and did not give the feeling of an "all blacked out dash" due to its high gloss.

Here are 2 pics with LWB seats - one with CF and one without...

I have not yet made up my mind which seats to choose. No doubt the CF seats are really cool.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 05-17-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling, other

Quick Reply: GT4 Build Confimed - No Bucket Seat Option - Opinion Requested