Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Build Confimed - No Bucket Seat Option - Opinion Requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am being told that the production slot is July. I have just a week or two before lock and the system will not take my order with buckets.

The dealer will lose the allocation if they allow the order to stay in V100....so I am screwed by Porsche for making the option unavailable...my dealer will have take my car away and sell a non-bucket car to someone else...

I'm extremely unhappy by this. Why would Porsche force a specific option set on folks in order to be able to keep their orders or potentially lose customers as they have to back out of the sales?

Crazy...
Old 05-14-2015, 07:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Sad but true.

Although I have never been a fan of any dealer,I can't seem to fault them in this situation.
If you blame Porsche,they will dump it on the supplier(maybe it's true). I wonder if they're running low on bucket shells or cushions. Maybe they've been painting too many Elantras in Sapphire Blue...I don't know...
What I see happening here...and it's just a hunch,I have no way of knowing for sure : because of the limited supply,PAG is allowing some dealers to enter bucket orders(with a delay in production of course),while completely rejecting others. Perhaps the same thing is happening with Sapphire Blue...
Old 05-14-2015, 07:45 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Wow, reading these posts has me thinking...."If I can't have LWBs then I definitely want them!"

Dealer called - said my build date has moved from Nov to July (presumably because no LWBs currently on order).

I'm still undecided. The Pros on the LWBs are; they look great, and belong with the GT4 car.

The cons are; the cost - LWBs will add about $6,000 because it is the cost of the seat plus the Carbon Fiber trim which is a must with these seats; and my wife will hate them; and require hoisting in and out of the seat; and they flex a lot; and they don't adjust; (don't know if I can fit in the car at 6"3" with a helmet); and they have virtually no shoulder support unless you use the harness.

But since I can't have them, I DEFINITELY WANT THEM!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Wow, reading these posts has me thinking...."If I can't have LWBs then I definitely want them!"

Dealer called - said my build date has moved from Nov to July (presumably because no LWBs currently on order).

I'm still undecided. The Pros on the LWBs are; they look great, and belong with the GT4 car.

The cons are; the cost - LWBs will add about $6,000 because it is the cost of the seat plus the Carbon Fiber trim which is a must with these seats; and my wife will hate them; and require hoisting in and out of the seat; and they flex a lot; and they don't adjust; (don't know if I can fit in the car at 6"3" with a helmet); and they have virtually no shoulder support unless you use the harness.

Agree. I was considering ordering a Spyder before I decided to buy a Carrera S and I had less than zero interest in the LWBs. See more negatives than positives, but to each his own. Personal preference.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdavis
I am being told that the production slot is July. I have just a week or two before lock and the system will not take my order with buckets.

The dealer will lose the allocation if they allow the order to stay in V100....so I am screwed by Porsche for making the option unavailable...my dealer will have take my car away and sell a non-bucket car to someone else...

I'm extremely unhappy by this. Why would Porsche force a specific option set on folks in order to be able to keep their orders or potentially lose customers as they have to back out of the sales?

Crazy...
Simple, because they don't have the LWBs and they can't stop production just because of the shortage of one part. They're gonna build the cars the way they can and sell them to whomever wants them. Then when they get the LWBs, they'll offer them, assuming that it really is a shortage and not a flaw in the seats that wasn't caught until pre production.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

The big issue with LWBs may be that they cannot catch up before 981.2.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
The big issue with LWBs may be that they cannot catch up before 981.2.
Bingo.

Those of you who are on the fence, have them transfer your allocation to my dealership who still has only gotten 1 damn car. I'd take it and get buckets in the RS when that time comes.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 PM
GTautoDesign
Instructor

I wonder if Porsche would allow the scenario of getting an allocation without the buckets then when the issue is resolved shipping them to dealers and having the dealers install.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTautoDesign
I wonder if Porsche would allow the scenario of getting an allocation without the buckets then when the issue is resolved shipping them to dealers and having the dealers install.
No.

Your only option is buying them from a Porsche dealer at 4x the price from the factory.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 PM
csbear
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
No.

Your only option is buying them from a Porsche dealer at 4x the price from the factory.
I think that's what he means. Buy the seats at the $5K price now, but have them installed at the dealer at a later date when they are available.

I was thinking the same.... but then what happens to the used Sport Seats?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:00 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman

Calling my dealer tomorrow but I would bet the same for me. Originally I was an October delivery.

Also, I HAD no interest but everyone says I should get them except a few people. My issues are very similar; wife will HATE them, can't turn off the airbags for short kid trips, I'm 6'2" and bet I'd fit with helmet but will only do light track time. I'm sticking to no LWB but doesn't look like I had a choice anyways.

Maybe this will turn into a full out track car but then I'll buy recaros.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by csbear
I think that's what he means. Buy the seats at the $5K price now, but have them installed at the dealer at a later date when they are available. I was thinking the same.... but then what happens to the used Sport Seats?
From what I've been reading on the GT3 forum you can't do that. You can't buy them for 5K now and then have the seats shipped from Germany and install. Unless you have a very special relationship with your dealer so they can arrange that happening for you somehow. I don't know...
All I know is that you can buy them through the Parts Department at a later date and at a totally different price-from what I've heard : between 15-20K $.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a mess. I hope all this somehow gets worked out so those wanting the LWB will all get them with only a minimal delay.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:38 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
I think that's what he means. Buy the seats at the $5K price now, but have them installed at the dealer at a later date when they are available.
Option pricing doesn't reflect the cost of that option - it reflects the cost difference between the standard item and the option. For the sake of argument, let's say that the standard buckets cost Porsche $2,500 (you don't pay this directly, as it's baked into the base price of the car). If the LWBs are a $5K option, that means they're actually worth $7,500 ($2.5K "baked-in" plus $5K).

Of course, you can never buy parts for the same price as when they're sold with an entire car, which is why they will cost at least double at the parts counter.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 AM
Mike981S
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by nova996
What you are saying is true for orders booked with LWBs before May 9. After May 9, you can't do that now. Right now Porsche won't accept and schedule new orders with this option according to my dealer.
Correct. I confirmed with PCNA. Details see here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...tml#post949559

Originally Posted by mgerber
You are right and I should have been clearer. I am in the same position as you - I am holding out for my delivery (now in March 2016) for the LWB. I meant to say that it sounds like PAG has made the LWB unavailable for any new orders at this point in time. Having seen this before I suspect new orders for the option will free up once the supply chain issues are sorted out. I am guessing from the other posts that some sales folks at the dealerships either don't know what is going on or are not communicating it correctly.
I expect they just had so little non-bucket seat orders that they started having idling build slots. So they moved people forward (I also got a call early this week that my Q4 build suddenly becomes available in July, but only if I don't go with LWB. I did my investigation and decided to stay with my Q4 slot. Which means that the next person in the waiting list will be lucky (she apparently will not spec LWB anyway).

I wager right now that while the factory is closed for the summer break, Recaro can catch up with the demand. We will see...

Originally Posted by neanicu
From what I've been reading on the GT3 forum you can't do that. You can't buy them for 5K now and then have the seats shipped from Germany and install. Unless you have a very special relationship with your dealer so they can arrange that happening for you somehow. I don't know...
All I know is that you can buy them through the Parts Department at a later date and at a totally different price-from what I've heard : between 15-20K $.
I asked if I could to exactly that. Get an option to basically buy them at cost. I was told that it is not possible. If I don't get them in my Q4 build, I will try to negotiate (but it is a hard place to be in if their waiting list is 20 people deep).

Quick Reply: GT4 Build Confimed - No Bucket Seat Option - Opinion Requested