Sponsored by: APR

Silver wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:29 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Silver wheels

Is anyone ordering a GT4 with silver wheels other than me? I hope they look good. I picked silver because I really don't care for the finish on the black wheels. I will also purchase a set of after market black/dark wheels to occasionally change the look of the car. They will double as track wheels. I did this with my CR and loved the ability to change out the wheels. I ordered CWM. I have the silver stitching and interior color match paint and I figured the silver wheels would tie everything together nicely. The wing supports will be black, only the wheels silver. Here is a picture of a CWM Cayman with silver wheels. I think the GT4 would look much better with all the black highlights.

I appreciate opinions to help me decide to keep or change my wheel order.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:08 PM
damnitBobby
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me wheel color really depends on the paint job. If going with white I would go with platinum color wheels. The contrast is nice and not overly done like the satin black option. I'm not a fan of completely black wheels at all.

A darker shade of wheels usually hints at a more sporty car (IMO), although now everyone has black wheels on their cars it makes you wonder if you should stick to something classy like silver.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:09 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing inherently wrong with silver wheels, but I like no chrome on my sports cars these days, and silver is kind of of close to that shininess. Silver wheels do stand out quite a bit, so I feel (IMHO) they belong on luxury cars and other non-performance types.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some great HREs, etc., that look amazing on Porsches in silver, but I think the platinum wheels offer a good medium between the black and silver wheels. So most likely I will be going with that as they "flow" with the sporty aesthetic of the car and are not too bling-bling.

Of course, others may feel I am way off here, but that's just me: Keep the silver and chrome to a minimum.

Good luck with your ultimate decision!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I've specced Silver wheels with silver wing uprights and silver stitching to go with Carmine paint.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:22 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
I've specced Silver wheels with silver wing uprights and silver stitching to go with Carmine paint.
That's going to look great!

I considered keeping the uprights silver, but I decided on black to keep the black on white theme consistent (except for the wheels) and black uprights would look better with my second set of darker wheels.

Another factor playing a role in my decision is I feel silver wheels have a nicer visual effect when the car is moving.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fishing
That's going to look great!

I considered keeping the uprights silver, but I decided on black to keep the black on white theme consistent (except for the wheels) and black uprights would look better with my second set of darker wheels.

Another factor playing a role in my decision is I feel silver wheels have a nicer visual effect when the car is moving.
I like your thinking too. If I decide to change it up later, I figure a second set of black wheels or powder coating the wheels and wing uprights black would be pretty easy.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Silver GT3/GT4 wheels are underrated. They look GREAT. I'll be optioning silver wheels for the GT4. Carmine with silver wheels look fantastic.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm a big fan of silver wheels, but have been leaning towards the standard titaniums for the GT4, assuming I get an allocation.

It's odd how we haven't seen a single picture of the GT4 silver wheels.

Last edited by Ferrarisimo; 05-10-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are GT3 RS wheels in Silver:

Last edited by GrantG; 06-10-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Carmine with silver wheels look fantastic.
Hope so - did you choose the same?

I've only seen Carmine GTS with the Gloss Black wheels (which is not a option on GT4) and it looked nice.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hope so - did you choose the same?

I've only seen Carmine GTS with the Gloss Black wheels (which is not a option on GT4) and it looked nice.
My buddy doborder has a carmine red GTS withTE37s in mercury silver and it looks amazing. Assuming carmine is an option when my number is up, I'm going carmine/silver wheels/silver stitch/silver belts/silver uprights.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:20 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Thanks GrantG! That is how I envisioned the look on a GT4.

Here are GT3 RS wheels in Silver:
Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy doborder has a carmine red GTS withTE37s in mercury silver and it looks amazing. Assuming carmine is an option when my number is up, I'm going carmine/silver wheels/silver stitch/silver belts/silver uprights.

I like that. Very nice and different from the majority of the builds I've seen.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Assuming carmine is an option when my number is up, I'm going carmine/silver wheels/silver stitch/silver belts/silver uprights.
Nice! I was thinking of Silver belts too, but there's a good chance I might do 6-pt harnesses at some point in the future and then I'd choose Schroth harness in Silver (standard choice).
Old 05-09-2015, 06:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by csbear
I like that. Very nice and different from the majority of the builds I've seen.
Nice! I was thinking of Silver belts too, but there's a good chance I might do 6-pt harnesses at some point in the future and then I'd choose Schroth harness in Silver (standard choice).
Thanks. I figured it was finally time to stray from white. If carmine isn't available though.... I might have to default back. LOL

Quick Reply: Silver wheels