Allocation update

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
So jealous, congrats!!!
Thanks Mike. I am excited although a bit frustrated to learn today that my order with LWB was automatically changed to 2 way Sport Seats to proceed to V200. What a frigg'en roller coaster this has been. I have a call in to the general manager to discuss this in more detail.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 AM
Mike981S
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats!

I had the same call on Monday, but then stayed with my Q4 build that yet has to get a date assigned in order to have a chance to get the LWB seats.

Calling the manager will not work. This is a directive from the factory as I confirmed with Jamie at PCNA: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...tml#post949559

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Received this message from my SA yesterday.

"Brian- we got one! Yay!!! It's a July build! Ahhh!!! Call my cell tomorrow as I'm off but let's get this wrapped up asap."

Needless to say I was stunned as well as super excited. I sent her over an updated config code along with a deposit to place the order, which should be done tomorrow.

My build included LWB so it will be interesting to see how far back from July the build is pushed back to. I just read another recent thread discussing LWB not being available at all now. Guess I will find out very quickly if that is indeed the case.

She did mention this morning when we talked, that they received the allocation because they sold 9 cars in a certain time frame to qualify for this slot. When she first heard about the enticement from PCNA she thought it would be a long shot to meet that goal. Sure glad they 'kicked butt' and hit the mark.
Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Thanks Mike. I am excited although a bit frustrated to learn today that my order with LWB was automatically changed to 2 way Sport Seats to proceed to V200. What a frigg'en roller coaster this has been. I have a call in to the general manager to discuss this in more detail.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:39 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I get the feeling that we'd be best friends in IRL.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Not sure anything new here but here is the update for my allocation.

I was told two weeks ago that my dealer received a GT4 allocation as they had met a sales goal/contest for April. This was their second GT4 allocation and was 'mine' (first allocation was to the person on the list in front of me).

Received call today that my allocation could be a July build if I was to forgo the LWB's (currently in my build).

Was told that I could pass on the July build and continue to wait for LWB availability.

Was told that if I wait, there are two potential outcomes (timing unknown for either option): 1. LWB's become available and my allocation is filled with the LWB spec. or 2. Porsche comes back at some point and says that LWB's will not be available and, at that point, I would either have to accept a non-LWB build or give up my allocation.

Either way, I have a GT4 allocation and can get a car. Seems reasonable to me.

My SA has been great - honest and open communications and follow-up!
Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It's funny how popular the LWB have become. With the 987/997, the GT2 bucket seats were kind of an obscure option that many people didn't know about or appreciate. Dealers would purposely option cars that came standard with them (spyder, CR, RS) because they feared that nobody would buy them. Now that those seats have almost a 'cult' following were people specifically seek our cars optioned with them and pay big money for even a used set of the seats, buyers have wised up and the demand for seats has gone through the roof. This really has caught Porsche with their pants down. I really don't think they expected the bucket seats to be as popular as they are now. When the LWB were finally an option for the 991 GT3 almost a year later after production started, demand was high enough were orders were getting delayed as well.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:28 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Not sure anything new here but here is the update for my allocation.
I was told two weeks ago that my dealer received a GT4 allocation as they had met a sales goal/contest for April. This was their second GT4 allocation and was 'mine' (first allocation was to the person on the list in front of me).
Received call today that my allocation could be a July build if I was to forgo the LWB's (currently in my build).
Was told that I could pass on the July build and continue to wait for LWB availability.
Was told that if I wait, there are two potential outcomes (timing unknown for either option): 1. LWB's become available and my allocation is filled with the LWB spec. or 2. Porsche comes back at some point and says that LWB's will not be available and, at that point, I would either have to accept a non-LWB build or give up my allocation.
Either way, I have a GT4 allocation and can get a car. Seems reasonable to me.
My SA has been great - honest and open communications and follow-up!
Good, that is reasonable and what should be expected... not being threatened that we will instantly lose our allocations if we option LWB!

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It's funny how popular the LWB have become. With the 987/997, the GT2 bucket seats were kind of an obscure option that many people didn't know about or appreciate. Dealers would purposely option cars that came standard with them (spyder, CR, RS) because they feared that nobody would buy them. Now that those seats have almost a 'cult' following were people specifically seek our cars optioned with them and pay big money for even a used set of the seats, buyers have wised up and the demand for seats has gone through the roof. This really has caught Porsche with their pants down. I really don't think they expected the bucket seats to be as popular as they are now. When the LWB were finally an option for the 991 GT3 almost a year later after production started, demand was high enough were orders were getting delayed as well.
That's what these internet forums do for us! Buyers are armed with MUCH better knowledge compared to the past and Porsche newcomers now realize the functional and aesthetic virtues of the LWBs via the forum discussions. The LWB Cult is in full effect...
Old 05-15-2015, 01:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
That's what these internet forums do for us! Buyers are armed with MUCH better knowledge compared to the past and Porsche newcomers now realize the functional and aesthetic virtues of the LWBs via the forum discussions. The LWB Cult is in full effect...
It's partly that, but for me these are the first lightweight buckets in the US that I can actually use. All the others sat up too high and caused me to have too little headroom (the CGT seats were offered in the 997 RS in ROW but not in US and these were pretty low). These are the first with height adjustment and that makes them far more useful to me...
Old 05-15-2015, 01:56 PM
GTautoDesign
Instructor

I received the same feedback as BryanOC earlier this morning when discussing the LWB issue with my SA.
He told me I am next in line for a Spyder(optioned with LWB) and that he recommends taking the allocation and put off the build date until the LWBs are reinstated, ensuring I get the car I want, no matter how long it takes.

Last edited by GTautoDesign; 05-15-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:07 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

After giving up, my dealer called me yesterday and got an allocation for me. Said the same about winning a sales contest and got two extra allocations of which I got one. Only bad thing is that is November. So won't have it for the summer to drive but still want it. Definitely getting buckets which may further delay date. August was the date when buckets will be available again but will still be delayed.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:44 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got an email from my SA that I'm officially off the wait list because she's got a November build slot for me!! And she does not anticipate that LWB availability will still be an issue by then. Fingers crossed, but right now my weekend is off to a fantastic start!

My build, for those interested.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Originally Posted by jphughan
My build, for those interested.
Nice build. Nice to see a DBM as I am considering this color. Now that SBM is back I may have to go that route, although not yet decided.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:48 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Verinnal
Nice build. Nice to see a DBM as I am considering this color. Now that SBM is back I may have to go that route, although not yet decided.
Thanks! The only options I'm still considering are the luggage net and the fire extinguisher. For the former, I know it's free, but I still don't want to have something on the car that serves absolutely no purpose to me, and I haven't thought of a single thing I'd want to store that would fit in there but not in the center console or glovebox, either of which would be easier to reach -- and nobody else has been able to suggest anything either. The fire extinguisher is only under consideration because some people have said some event organizers require it even for their HPDEs (as opposed to club races), but I personally haven't encountered such an organizer out here.

SBM definitely got my attention, but having seen it in person, it's very similar to BMW's Monte Carlo Blue, which is just too light for me. My current M3 is Le Mans Blue, which is between DBM and SBM, and I already knew that for my next car I'd want either a darker or equivalent blue, but definitely not lighter. DBM initially struck me as a bit too boring for a GT car, which is why I initially considered SBM despite it being lighter, but since this will be a DD, I decided DBM would offset some of the attention drawn by the RS-style spoiler -- and then I saw DBM on a 918 and really liked it.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You can put newspapers/magazines...a small umbrella that you don't want rolling around in your trunk?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
You can put newspapers/magazines...a small umbrella that you don't want rolling around in your trunk?
I've never really carried print material around, and don't own an iPad, which looks like it would fit perfectly in there. The umbrella is a good idea, but my only umbrella is huge and more often than not I forget it and then just suck it up through the rain. My wife has some small umbrellas that fit in her purse though.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
In your opinion, given the rides you have, is the hype worth it?

Quick Reply: Allocation update