Sponsored by: APR

Switch to MPSS from day 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switch to MPSS from day 1

For the first 3 years or so my car, should I get one, will not see more than one DE a year, if that. Once the warranty is on its last year I'll be more willing to be the snot out of the car. This begs the question, does it make sense to drop the sport cup 2 tires as soon as possible after taking delivery of the car. I've had tremendously positive experiences with the MPSS on my last two cars and I'd likely go that route again. Anyone else thinking something similar?

Also, is there any purchasing demand for the SC2 tires since I'd likely look to sell them to recoup some of the lost cost of fitting the MPSS. What do they sell for pre-owned but low/no miles?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:19 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a bad choice especially if you are only driving your GT4 on the street. I run both tires. I use my MPSS as a winter tire on my GT3 and switch to the cup tires from May through October. I have written extensive reviews about the MPSS on GT3. Please search my earlier posts. However the short version is that the MPSS on the street and on dry roads, does not give up much of the cup 2 grip, but in the wet the MPSS is so much better. If I only drive my car on the street, I would probably stick with MPSS all year around.

As for selling your cup tires, hold onto them until the tire rack runs out of cup2 stock which they often do, and you probably can demand a good return on them during these time, especially if they have very little mileage on them. Mark
Old 03-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Originally Posted by mqandil
...I use my MPSS as a winter tire on my GT3 and switch to the cup tires from May through October. I have written extensive reviews about the MPSS on GT3. Please search my earlier posts...
Thanks very much on your comments. At first I was way confused by your suggestion of running MPSS in the winter, especially given the fact that you have snow on the ground in your avatar. After reading the thread you referenced, it made more sense that you ran those knowing that you usually don't get much snow.

In my experience, MPSS get really hard at temps below 40 degrees and I feel like I'm tearing them apart driving them in the cold winters of NY. (Like this winter). My choice of winter tires which has served me extremely well have been Dunlop WinterSport 3d. They have fantastic elasticity at 0 degree whether and, aside from a little extra bounce when the temps are closer to the 40s, they ride on the streets very capably. For me the MPSS would be a tire that I would run from April 1st through December 1st, plus or minus a few days depending on average temps.

you had great advice on selling the SC2 when inventory is tight. I hadn't even realized that they're frequently out of stock and will definitely keep an eye on the market.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
For the first 3 years or so my car, should I get one, will not see more than one DE a year, if that. Once the warranty is on its last year I'll be more willing to be the snot out of the car.
If the GT4 follows the GT3, and I fully expect it will, the warranty on the new car will extend to cover use on the track.

I'd without question try the GT4 on the PSC2s before you give up on them. The car was tuned with them in mind, and while I love the PSS (been through ~6 sets?) as much as the next guy to really enjoy the PSC2 and the combination of precision and stability it brings, even on the street. And it wears much better than you'd expect (2nd set so far). Thus I'd vote for at least trying them unless you know you'll be facing significant standing water (or snow, obviously).
Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 PM
GT4000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was contemplating something similar. however, due to the weather here in germany, i cant run mpss all year long meaning i will most likely run the pirelli sottozero on the OE wheel during the winter. and since it rains a lot more than we'd like it to in summer, the OE cup 2 as a daily is not an ideal choice either meaning ill probably run the mpss on my summer set. this leaves a track set, 19" with some sticky trofeo r's. sounds crazy that we need 3 sets of wheels for a track oriented car that we wanna ride all year long, but unfortunately that's what most people have to do here in germany. at least we got the ring and the autobahn
Old 03-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I've had two sets of wheels or more for most cars. One set track and the other street. For the street with the occasional track day the MPSS does a fine job. And if you get caught out in the rain the MPSS is the better choice. So if you don't drive in the rain or when it's below 50F the Sport Cup 2's are fine. I put a set of MPSS on my GT3. At the end of May I'll probably go back to MPSC2's.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
Thanks very much on your comments. At first I was way confused by your suggestion of running MPSS in the winter, especially given the fact that you have snow on the ground in your avatar. After reading the thread you referenced, it made more sense that you ran those knowing that you usually don't get much snow.
You are very welcome. We get on average 2 snow days a year, and temperature in the winter is usually above 45F. This year we have been blessed with winter temperatures above 50F most of the time and hardly any rain. So the MPSS works great in such climate. However last year (2014) when I bought my GT3 and took delivery in January we had in the forecast a week or so of snow (just a bad year), and so I decieded to mount Michelin PA4 on my GT3, so I can start breaking in my car immediately, and used them for about a 1.5 months, until they recalled our cars due to the engine fire issue. the picture you see in my avatar was while wearing these PA4 tires, and by the way they were spectacular on the snow and amazing on the wet & dry during very cold weather. After I got my GT3 back I removed the Michelin PA4 and installed them on my 2013 911 4S which shares Same tire size with the GT3, and decided going forward to stick with the MPSS in the winter, and use the Cup 2 tires in the summer. Hope this clears up the confusion. Mark
Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, I'm in a somewhat more track-oriented situation than you, but I created a thread asking a similar question in the GT3 section where there's already a base of experience with these tires and got some responses you may find helpful: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/861684-running-mpss-tires-full-time-even-on-track.html
Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Thanks much. I feel foolish for not having searched in the gt3 section, however there's been great info even in the few posts in this thread. Thanks all! (Reading your thread now)
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Interesting situation. My current car is... An e92 wearing mpss.

Seems like an easy decision. MPSC2 until they wear, with dedicated winter tire from Dec 1 - end of March. If they serve me well without excessive wear in NY rain and rough streets, I'll probably keep them as my main going forward, otherwise I'll go to MPSS. I drive about 6.5k miles per year so perhaps the mpsc2 would be perfect.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

MPSS is a great street tire. For your use, it should be fine.
Might as well use the OEM tires as long as you can. You might be surprised at how well they do with street use.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

mpss is a fine tire but unless it's pouring rain the mpsc2 is WAY better. this is from someone who HATES pilot sport cup tires!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
mpss is a fine tire but unless it's pouring rain the mpsc2 is WAY better. this is from someone who HATES pilot sport cup tires!
Good feedback about Cup vs Cup 2 tires. I'm still wondering how long I can legitimately expect them to last on the street given how much a set of Cup 2s in GT4 sizes cost. I guess as long as they wear out due to my track usage before wearing out based on the road miles I'll put on them between track events, it doesn't really matter, but I've seen people claiming as little as 3-5K miles per set just on road use, which is probably lower than I'd be ok with. The claimed 6-8 track days (probably closer to 8 on the GT4 compared to the GT3) seems reasonable since that should cover me for a year of track events or close to it, but not if I'm replacing them after 3-5K road miles. But if street wear DOES become a problem, then the question becomes what to do about wheels, which will depend a lot on what the market brings -- although I'd prefer to avoid having a spare set of wheels in the first place for a variety of reasons. Sigh.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:10 PM
focal
Racer

preparing to spend the $4k to set myself up with a road wheel and MPSS. I'll save the OEM wheels and MPSC2 for DE days. My neighbour can help me swap. Cost me a case of beer as thanks.

Although fairly priced wheels will be heavier than the OEM wheels, not a huge issue on the street. Buying a quality wheel for the track is pointless. The OEM's are good/light and know I wouldn't forgive myself for a parking curb rash. Fairly priced wheels would be cheaper to fix/replace if I hit a pot hole also.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by focal
preparing to spend the $4k to set myself up with a road wheel and MPSS. I'll save the OEM wheels and MPSC2 for DE days. My neighbour can help me swap. Cost me a case of beer as thanks.

Although fairly priced wheels will be heavier than the OEM wheels, not a huge issue on the street. Buying a quality wheel for the track is pointless. The OEM's are good/light and know I wouldn't forgive myself for a parking curb rash. Fairly priced wheels would be cheaper to fix/replace if I hit a pot hole also.
Agreed. My issue though is that I really like the look of the OEM wheels and would therefore want them on the car the majority of the time, which would be while DDing it. I don't care so much what my car looks like on the track except maybe if I feel I might want some pictures from the event for a poster. But that would of course mean that if I end up running MPSS on the street, it will be on the OEM wheels, which in turn means I'd have to spend a decent chunk of change on a track set -- which is partly why I'm hoping to avoid that second set altogether.

Quick Reply: Switch to MPSS from day 1