Sponsored by: APR

OT: Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 AM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u may have missed the point. this is the car that there should be no options.
I follow, and I agree. But I'd argue the 911 GT3 is also a car that doesn't really need any options. It's crazy good by default. That said though, a quick run through the configurator and it was quite easy to slap on a little over $49,000.00 in options. This was an exercise in price, not one of taste

http://www.porsche-code.com/PFFX7VI9

i see my language issue.
yes, the gt3 cost more than GT4. i was saying that many automatically assumes that a GT3 should be "better" and/or more "prestigious" than GT4. as u know, i am a GT3 die hard. but if the GT4 is what i think it is, it may well replace my RS. yes, i know. .. i am always whishful
I think the GT4 will be kept a comfortable distance from the GT3 with regards to stats and performance figures. That said though, it still leaves plenty of room for the GT4 to be one heck of a car! If Porsche will allow for the GT4 to step on the toes of the 911 C2S a bit, they'll have a manic car that is still far enough away from the GT3 to maintain a line between the GT3 and the juiced up Cayman.

-nh4.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:02 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

u may have missed the point. this is the car that there should be no options.
Other than the normal individual fluff issue - stitching, leather, carbon, aluminum, etc, etc, - it would be very hard to configure a car everybody would be happy with. Some options would have to be there: PCCB, seats, transmission, etc, etc.
I for one would hope that Porsche won't make centerlocks std and then have a no cost 5 lug option similar to the Turbo S. Although from their side it would make financial sense, an approximate $4k windfall. Or like SS optional on the PASM std GTS, a $500 windfall. Or they could do a reversal like they did with the Cayman R; buckets a no-cost option with Sport Plus seats std.

Precedences are there.

I better stop before I give them any more ideas, not that they need help in that department.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm always surprised at how many people are big on the PCCBs on this forum versus the 997 GT forum. Interesting to say the least.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
I'm always surprised at how many people are big on the PCCBs on this forum versus the 997 GT forum. Interesting to say the least.
Because most haven't experienced the pain and disappointment that occurs if you really push PCCBs hard on track.

Before people get too excited, I'm NOT talking about actual PCCB performance.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The 3rd generation PCCB's are supposed to offer much improved wear over the Gen II version on the 997.2. Whether the improvement is enough to make them a practical alternative for the track is a completely different question. Mine will see duty for autocross and limited tracking so it won't be a valid test of their longevity. I'll be interested to hear the experiences from 991 GT3 owners with PCCB's who track more heavily.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The 3rd generation PCCB's are supposed to offer much improved wear over the Gen II version on the 997.2. Whether the improvement is enough to make them a practical alternative for the track is a completely different question. Mine will see duty for autocross and limited tracking so it won't be a valid test of their longevity. I'll be interested to hear the experiences from 991 GT3 owners with PCCB's who track more heavily.
That probably won't be for a long time. I don't know of any track rat 991 GT3 owner or future owner who has optioned PCCB. Maybe when a PCCB equipped one goes into the hands of a track rat in the second hand market. Then again, if I were one of those people, I would pull the rotors off like I did on my spyder. I'm all for being a guinea pig unless it involves a potential $20k loss. Lol.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
That probably won't be for a long time. I don't know of any track rat 991 GT3 owner or future owner who has optioned PCCB. Maybe when a PCCB equipped one goes into the hands of a track rat in the second hand market. Then again, if I were one of those people, I would pull the rotors off like I did on my spyder. I'm all for being a guinea pig unless it involves a potential $20k loss. Lol.
Good point and you're probably right....
Old 06-08-2014, 06:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Good point and you're probably right....
Mike, I just need to turn you into a track rat, then YOU can be the can the one to make us all regret not going PCCB.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll track mine Joe and will report back. I assume it was a stupid leap of faith on the PCCBs but whatever. Life goes on. While this won't be my dedicated track car, it will see some hard laps
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
I'll track mine Joe and will report back. I assume it was a stupid leap of faith on the PCCBs but whatever. Life goes on. While this won't be my dedicated track car, it will see some hard laps
Nice!! I didn't realize you opted for PCCB. We have a guinea pig! I know MANY will be interested in how they work out for you. Mike is waiting to feed me crow... LOL
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I know one. Not sure if he qualifies at a track rat, but I randomly met him at more than half of the events I went to (with a nice C2S loaner - jealous!), so we will see. Also, the GT3 that got GMG cage installed recently has PCCBs, as it seems from the photos.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I know one. Not sure if he qualifies at a track rat, but I randomly met him at more than half of the events I went to (with a nice C2S loaner - jealous!), so we will see. Also, the GT3 that got GMG cage installed recently has PCCBs, as it seems from the photos.
Ha. Shows you what I know. Sounds like it won't take as long as I thought to get the info we want.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i am the devil.
forget the pccb wear.
if you were changing tires at TH this past weekend at 100 deg, you may accidentally drop it on the pccb disc and ruin it. or you fly off T4 like i did then get rotors chipped up by rocks.
then you have to replace the pccb rotor no?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I will defo be optioning mine with PCCB.... and replacing them with ST discs or similar when they are done.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

There was early word that the factory will offer its own steel rotor swap for track rats that opt for PCCB. Has anyone seen any follow up on that?

I'm looking forward to seeing the new PCCBs pedal feels. It's a matter of opinion, but I've generally found the old PCCBs felt slightly over-assisted.

Race cars generally require more brake pedal effort, not because they need to but to make them easier to modulate at the limit. Every PCCB equiped cars I've tried, on the other hand, has had much lower pedal effort than its non PCCB counterpart. It gives you an initial "wow" when you step on the brakes, but the lower effort makes it harder for me to modulate (or heel-toe, when that mattered). Given the larger radius of the PCCBs it seems you'd want a different master-cylinder, and Porsche is perhaps loath to make two different versions?

Anyone tried both PCCB and non 991s to see if this pattern still holds?

Last edited by Petevb; 06-09-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: Cayman GT4