Sponsored by: APR

Need some opinions on price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 07:53 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,174 Likes on 626 Posts
Default Need some opinions on price?

I need to make a decision, over a year ago I ordered a C8. Two months ago, I canceled the order because I thought the car would never come. Last week I get a call from the dealer that the car was built.So I changed my mind and told him I would take it when it comes in two weeks. Now I’m thinking of selling either selling the C8 when it comes or my GT 4. The third option is to keep both for a while. The harsh reality is I need three cars (GT4, C8, M2C) like another set of nuts. Usually doing something really stupid doesn’t bother me. Maybe that’s why I have three ex-wives? I love the GT4, it’s my second and forth 981 but I’m not driving the car.It has only7500 miles on it of which only a total of 1500 have been put on it in the last two years. Never been tracked no over revs. Its yellow with silver wheels lWBs full leather clear bra .Less than 50 miles on new tires, brake and clutch fluid and oil change. If I decide to keep the C8 what is my GT4worth?

Any input is appreciated. thanks Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 08-02-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I need to make a decision, over a year ago I ordered a C8. Two months ago, I canceled the order because I thought the car would never come. Last week I get a call from the dealer that the car was built.So I changed my mind and told him I would take it when it comes in two weeks. Now I’m thinking of selling either selling the C8 when it comes or my GT 4. The third option is to keep both for a while. The harsh reality is I need three cars (GT4, C8, M2C) like another set of nuts. Usually doing something really stupid doesn’t bother me. Maybe that’s why I have three ex-wives? I love the GT4, it’s my second and forth 981 but I’m not driving the car.It has only7500 miles on it of which only a total of 1500 have been put on it in the last two years. Never been tracked no over revs. Its yellow with silver wheels lWBs full leather clear bra .Less than 50 miles on new tires, brake and clutch fluid and oil change. If I decide to keep the C8 what is my GT4worth?

For a quick sale 80-85k? Take the c8 and drive then decide. I personally would take it and sell quickly. Probably could get all of your money back plus a couple of bucks. They’re going to make tens of thousands of C8s and the base model is going to be a pedal car compared to the z06 and ZR1/Zora. I will likely add the Z06 or ZR1 if I get screwed again on the next 3rs.

I still have my GT4 and while I’m not driving it much it’s a special car that I can’t seem to get rid of.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Here goes my opinion, and you know what THAT'S worth. It seems to me that as if prices have stabilized, or even firmed, recently. I was thinking mid $80s - maybe upper $80s for the right person who likes yellow, and there are many. Certainly low $80s if you need a quick sale. I rather wish I had this dilemma... I'd start at $89,981 and bargain down from there.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:11 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I love the GT4, it’s my second and forth 981 but I’m not driving the car.It has only7500 miles on it of which only a total of 1500 have been put on it in the last two years.
So you're not driving the GT4, what makes you think you'd drive the same basic car, only uglier?

Instead of a car who's price has already done whatever it's going to do from the release of the new model, you'll be sitting on a car that's going to drop like a rock as soon as the new model comes out (Z06) then again when the other new model comes out (ZR1) and again when the base C8 gets some sorta nifty upgrade they've been holding off because why put everything into the 2020 model? But still only driving it 2.06 miles a day. A rich guy like you, that's just to the end of the driveway and back.

I say call the dealer back, tell him to send it on to the next guy in line. I'm assuming you've seen a C8 in person?
The following 4 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
CaymanCarver (08-07-2020), Perimeter (08-07-2020), slipaway37 (08-04-2020), weekndr.porsche (08-07-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 992 Likes on 663 Posts

I just looked at a 2016 with 8K original miles at a local Porsche dealer. CPO'd. They were asking $92K. They said they would go as low as $88K with CPO and $85K without CPO.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:27 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

NoGaBiker has it right.

that C8 will start depreciating rapidly soon. I’d only take it if you’re confident in a quick for profit sale. You’ll probably be able to buy that car 20% below list in a year.

I wouldn’t sell the GT4 at the end of its rapid depreciating period (last 18months values are down a lot) to buy a car right infront of its.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Jorge Magana35
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with what everyone said. Both cars are awesome but the C8 will depreciate like there is no tomorrow.

I would take the C8 and sell it for a profit ASAP.

Later than the road (2-3 years) you could buy another C8 if you really wanted and with probably huge discounts from the dealership once the ZO6 is out.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:36 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 422 Posts

C8 at the last auto auction sold more than MSRP. Here is an article of one that went for $12,000 over MSRP at a BaT auction.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...ailer-auction/
Old 08-04-2020, 01:08 AM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

This is a great sales advert!
I highly advise you keep that uber-reliable 911 Carrera S flat-six!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:55 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Dittos.
Either ditch the C8 deal altogether or turn it around and sell it ASAP. Likely to get a little $ bump on the deal.

You don't want this gen-1 version of the C8. The early adopters are already struggling with a number of issues with the car and few of the aftermarket mods are living up to hopes and expectations.
Still gonna take some time before things settle correctly with the car and coalesce into something truly desirable. But I believe it will happen eventually.

Now is not a good time to try and sell the GT4 ..the downward pressure on price is going to get worse between now and the end of the year.
The Cayman/GT4 market might begin to recover by early next year. Fingers crossed.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaymanCarver:
4ocious (08-07-2020), Last_935 (08-07-2020), Perimeter (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 02:11 PM
4carl
Race Car

here i go, reminds me of my Lotus days .. the Chevy dealer sent me the window sticker it said "some assembly required"carl
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thoughts.html
Old 08-07-2020, 02:58 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

here i go, reminds me of my Lotus days .. the Chevy dealer sent me the window sticker it said "some assembly required"carl
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thoughts.html
Do their hoods really fly open? Is this really a thing?!

Edit: It looks like people are asking between $85k and 95k in the market place. A few outliers but that's typical.

Last edited by 9eight7; 08-07-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:25 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by 9eight7
Do their hoods really fly open? Is this really a thing?!

Edit: It looks like people are asking between $85k and 95k in the market place. A few outliers but that's typical.
Yes they really do.. carl
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pen-today.html
Old 08-08-2020, 05:36 AM
Fasttoys1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a C8 Z51 2LT loaded again MSRP 79,260. I paid 1k back as the dealers owner is a friend total out door was 83,230k I was on a wait list for 4 years. I currently have 934 miles on the C8 and can help you with any decisions. The car is the best GM product ever made, the C8 is lacking In some emotion and is very refined. It does get better the more your derive it as the DCT learns your habits. I watch all these YouTubers and think GM must be paying some of them because I have driven many exciting exotic cars & don’t have the same feelings. The C8 has one annoying ticking sound from the fuel injectors, you can hear it with the windows up as the engine note is very quite in the cabin unless your at full WOT. The GT2 seats have to much padding under the thighs and you legs get tired after 50 minutes of driving, GT1 seats are the base and GT3 race seats are way aggressive in padding and are wannabes sports Porsche buckets GT2 best option.. After 500 miles you gain more power as that is break in, the car starts to feel much better after the DCT starts to understand how to shift and figure your driving habits. When I drove her home the car did not go through PDI and was stuck in Dealer demo mode, it felt to soft similar to a Gran Marquee. The car in touring mode feels very disconnected and the rear end is to soft in this mode and it floats. (I Have Mag Ride option). I am number 1 on the list for the Z06 I feel that car will be a game changer at 9k redline with a NA motor, it will be shown in June of 21 and be a release as a 22 model. I drive the C8 z51 in Race mode, car feels more like a proper GT car in this mode and is very fast. The engine sounds good from outside I have the sports exhaust but inside she is very quite. The C8 is lacking some emotion, nothing like driving a Ferrari 458 Some or even some Porsche GT cars I have owned. I feel the Z06 is the car to own the Z51 C8 is just a little to soft for my taste more of a gran than a toss-able sports car.

The hood popping up issue could be operator error or a solenoid issue, It has only affected a very few. I am glad I purchased the car but the value will drop around June of 2021 as they will be pumping out 40 thousand of them. Now the hype is keeping resale high, GM canceled around 52% of orders thanks to Covid19. I say buy the car see what you think, keep it under 1k miles and you can sell it in September for 2K to 6k over MSRP. I always say the best time to buy a sports car is between OCT through February, that is also the worst time to sell one if you want top dollar. PM me if you Have more questions.

Yesterday I was offered 101k for the C8, I have two offers in my area. One is a dealer with a GT4 trade or the other is with a wholesaler. I have till Monday to decide, which gives me the weekend to think about it.

My ? Not to take over the thread. I can do an in and out with the dealer meaning show the C8 as a trade to save all the taxes on the GT4 which are 6k. The MSRP of the GT4 was 116, the color is GT Silver with 900 miles with carbon ceramic brakes 18 way seats and full leather and alcterra with yellow stitching. They will sell the car to me for 93k out the door no tax because of the C8 trade. If I don’t sell the C8 to the dealer, I can give it to the large wholesaler and take the cash, and loose the tax credit on my next purchase. The GT4 looks mint with all records no issue,no over revs, what our your thoughts? I a, Looking for a car that I can take out on the weekends that is more of an event than the C8, i will not be tracking-the GT4. The power on the GT4 is okay, after 5k RPM she starts pushing nice. I will put about 3 to 5k miles on her by this time next year. I wonder what she will be worth at that time Any guesses? I will be adding a 5 year 60k fidelity warranty that can be transferred to the next owner for O cost or get it prorated back to me. The warranty is only 2400 dollars with 100 dollar deductible, it will cover the P car just like a CPO even covering electronics. I had the same Warranty on my R8 and after 19k is service issues sold the car and got half my warranty money back, it’s awesome.

Need your thoughts. OP PM me and I can explain anything you need to know about the C8

Last edited by Fasttoys1; 08-08-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:27 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 238 Posts

I drove this red one, back to back, with my GT4. Felt like a boat with a giant engine. Stiff and a lot of effort to turn, despite what you might read about the tight turn radius and steering wheel rotations to lock. Completely different animal. I was glad to get back in my GT4.
Attachment 1342054
The following 2 users liked this post by GeoJoe:
CaymanCarver (08-09-2020), Fasttoys1 (08-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Need some opinions on price?