Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

ZaGT4's car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:26 PM
ZaGT4
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts
Default ZaGT4's car.. Mods; BBS Fi-R, Salter Aero, DSC Sport...

Hello!
I have been a member here about a year, so I guess it's time to introduce myself and my car.

I bought my GT4 in september 2018 after a long search (But first a lot of dreaming without actually having the intention of buying a car).
I have had some sporty cars (more or less modified); Seat Leon Sport, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX, BMW E46 320D, E92 320D, E91 325D, and latest Tesla model S 100D (still my daily driver).
The 325D is heavily modified, but it's a bit heavy for serious track-use, but have I been around the Nürburgring in just under 9 minutes.

I was dreaming of a newer, lighter sports car which I didn't need to spend too much time and money modifying, and worrying about voiding warranty (and insurance in case of an accident) and the strict authorities here in Norway. The E46 M3 has always been a bit expensive in my opinion (compared to it's age), but was an option for a relatively cheap but fast car. Next option was M3/M4 F8X (E92 being a bit to heavy/lame), but even better the M2 (lighter). But I I know I would spend a lot modifying it, and won't keep it's value very well.. I was really just dreaming, and common sense would be to just keep the 325D and prioritize house, family etc. As I live in Norway, cars with big engines are heavily taxed, and Porsche was always out of the question due to high price in general, and compared to lets say BMW M-cars with comparable performance. And if it should ever be a Porsche, it should be a GT car as I want a real sports car with firm suspension and great feedback, not a big, heavy comfortable cruiser (which also happens to go fast around a track). But the GT-cars have always been out of the question until I started dreaming of the GT4. It took a long time to actually realize this was a proper GT-car, and even longer that it could be available for a price I actually could deal with (lower taxes from 2018 made this a reality, especially with an import car).

So before I'm boring you more, here is the car I ended up with after long patience waiting for the right car to the right price (with clubsport-package);

First day after a quick wash..

First day after a quick wash..

I was really in love with the Agate Grey, but Sapphire blue was my second choice. Really happy though, cool stealth blue in the dark, and stunning popping blue in the sun!.

Blue & fast; So similar - yet so different. The best of the past, and the best of the future!

First Trackday

I just managed 2 trackdays last autumn, before the car went away for winter storage. I also had it wrapped in clear foil, tinted windows and lights, and badges replaced by just a GT4-sticker (and 3.8 on the wing side). Also had an alignment.

This winter felt like the longest winter ever. I started looking for winter wheels, but didn't find any nice ones used, and the winter roads hear are just salty as hell, and I would rather spare the car. But perhaps next winter, if not just to try it on an ice track or a few times in fresh snow before the salt is out...

During the wait, this came in;

Did I drive the car into a photo studio?

...No, just a model car

Now, during the winter wait, I could resist looking for improvements/modifications online. First of all I wanted black wheels. It was hard avoiding nice pictures online of the BBS FI-R, and tried to find something similar but a bit cheaper... Then I stumbled across some used FI-R's on ebay, and couldn't resist. The winter just got even longer.... So what to do? Tried ceramic coating for the first time. Easy peasy!

BBS FI-R

Max Protect UNC V3

BBS FI-R

Finally, spring came!!
Still some snow when I got it out;

Time to drive!

Snow is only in drive-way, the road is dry!

First wash after a dusty winter storage...

Finally out driving...
On a detour home (I think this will happen alot), I was lucky with the sunset timing;

Finally spring!

Clear wrapping, tinted windows & lights!

Clear wrapping, tinted windows & lights!

GT4-sticker instead of the Porsche letters. Clear wrapping, tinted windows & lights!

3.8 Sticker

After the recall gearbox replacement, I finally got to mount the BBS FI-R wheels (with OEM Black GT4 center-cap);

Trackday!

Trackday!

BBS FI-R

Just a quick check

Best picture I have for now, with the BBS wheels

Yesterday, I received the DSC-sport controller (thanks Tom @ @TPC Racing), and heading for the track tomorrow!! Updates will follow..
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by ZaGT4; 08-10-2019 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
masti99 (04-18-2020)
Old 05-25-2019, 01:27 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

^^^^ And thanks for posting! Looks great...and love the FI-Rs.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:38 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Sweet car!! I've got the same color. Nothing beats it!

Got a link to that model? I'd like to get one too.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:28 PM
ZaGT4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bk_911
Sweet car!! I've got the same color. Nothing beats it!

Got a link to that model? I'd like to get one too.
Thanks!

Just search for #‪450040200‬ - Schuco Porsche Cayman GT4 - blau metallic - 1:18.

I bought it on ebay from this seller, but he doesn't seem to have this one anymore;
https://ebay.com/usr/mimoma-com
Old 05-25-2019, 08:48 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 66 Posts

Mine is also Sapphire Blue. I also went for black wheels, but went with the more budget-minded OZ Ultraleggera. I too applied a ceramic coating to my wheels, partly hoping to make it easier to clean off the brake dust. I have been disappointed in that respect. I would be interested in knowing whether your results were better in that regard. Like you, I am certainly not disappointed with this incredible car, however. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm!
Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM
ZaGT4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jim Cobb
Mine is also Sapphire Blue. I also went for black wheels, but went with the more budget-minded OZ Ultraleggera. I too applied a ceramic coating to my wheels, partly hoping to make it easier to clean off the brake dust. I have been disappointed in that respect. I would be interested in knowing whether your results were better in that regard. Like you, I am certainly not disappointed with this incredible car, however. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm!
The Ceramic coating on the wheels does definitive have a positive effect. Cleaning is really easy. No need for strong chemicals or hard rubbing dirt of. No stuck dirt. (Allthough they look clean after just a rinse, I do wash them by hand, as I am not convinced of any method removing everything without a physical touch.)

Regarding the DSC Sport controller, I have just barely testet on a trackday (and 1+hour driving to and from the track).
First impression, is that it really works!
But what I found a bit surprising (again just from first impression), is that I didn't notice much difference to the OEM normal mode. In the new normal mode, but also in the new Sport mode (when driving normally/slow on normal/bad road).
In other words, I almost feel that only one mode is necessary, as the sport mode is comfortable when driving when driving calm (not pushing the car hard)!
(I must again stress, I haven't testet much, especially on the road in normal mode, as sport worked very well on the twisty but somewhat bad/bumby road - with spirited driving).

And on the track in sport mode, the car feels actually faster, smoother and more planted and more grip, but without feeling more stiff/harsh (than OEM sport mode)!

So I feel the DSC Sport controller does it's job, but it's actually hard to point at stiffer/softer, it's just right dependant on the specific situation!
It also means, that if you want to lend your car to someone who are expecting a really stiff sports car, they will be disapointed.
This also means, ironically - that it can(and will) probably be driven much faster to get the thrill/fun! OK on the track, but maybe not so on the public road... :P

Would I buy it again? YES definitely! Thanks again!

Some more pics:

Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 05-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great posts and photos and those BBS wheels look great! Congrats on the car and enjoy!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:19 PM
ZaGT4
Intermediate

On a roadtrip in Germany now

BTW. Salter Aero riser mounted

Last edited by ZaGT4; 07-07-2019 at 05:04 PM.
masti99 (04-18-2020)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:21 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Really nice...thanks for sharing!
Old 07-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,247 Posts

I agree with you 100%
The Sapphire Blue undergoes a lot of different "shades" depending on the lighting.
Very cool.

Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 382 Posts

Wow. Sweet car and continue to enjoy it. Which track is that in Norway?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the pictures- gorgeous! And great write up of your adventure. Enjoy the summer!
Old 07-24-2019, 04:39 PM
ZaGT4
Intermediate

Some more pics from the Alpes, Mosel-Valley and a short stop at Nürburgring.

masti99 (04-18-2020)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM
ZaGT4
Intermediate

Today I saved 11.5kg/25.5lbs by installing a Lithium battery from Antigravity batteries, the H6-24aHr RS Restart.

I chose the smallest capasity (24aHr) with OEM H6 case, which weighs 4.45kg/9.8lbs, compared to the OEM battery 16kg/35.3lbs.

The case is actually a bit bigger than the OEM;

(But there is room and the bracket fits with the next hole.)

Last edited by ZaGT4; 07-26-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Antigravity (07-25-2019)

Quick Reply: ZaGT4's car...