Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone Regetting getting a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 PM
okkin
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone Regetting getting a tune?

Hi Guys, I have searched and researched, but I must ask with all the Tunes out therr (FVD, Cobb, Softronic etc) has anyone regretted loading their tune in their GT4's? I know there is no going back because mothership can detect the flash, and with so many discussions and variables of "what if" or "wait until my warranty runs out," or "it will hurt my resale" discussions...

I want to hear first hand from you guys that have applied your tunes any regrets? No need to name who you used, just looking for feedback overall. I have purchased my tune and yes warranty is still in place..but the power band dips drive me nuts....

I know the GT4 has plenty of power for street use and this is where mine mostly lives...however it's the rpm power dips that drive me crazy. My installed 200 cell street headers were a really nice addition and freed up all kinds of flow, the sound didn't hurt either....but to get the full effect, the tune must be applied to eliminate those dips and maximize everything.

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:03 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Life's too short to have regrets!

Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM
okkin
Instructor

Talking

Darn SPELL CHECK...."Regretting"
Old 05-07-2019, 10:12 PM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No regrets at all with the Dundon Race Headers and ProTune. It has really helped smooth out the power curve and wake the car up in the mid-range with extra pull at the very top end.

Worth mentioning, I’m still under warranty...
Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 PM
okkin
Instructor

Originally Posted by greggmorton
No regrets at all with the Dundon Race Headers and ProTune. It has really helped smooth out the power curve and wake the car up in the mid-range with extra pull at the very top end.

Worth mentioning, I’m still under warranty...
Thanks Gregg, I just couldn't get myself to get the Dundons for the street. Dundon's are truly amazing...and I have spoken with Jamie many times....I decided to go with the Soul Street Headers and love, love, love the sound and the mid range punch it gave the car....now the tune....
Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 AM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought Cobb had a way to get around the flash counter?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by okkin
Darn SPELL CHECK...."Regretting"
That IS a POS spellcheck if it changed an actual word (regretting) into something that's not a word (regetting.)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

That said, I appreciate this question. I'm in no hurry and won't do anything till warranty runs out this fall, but I'm interested in any discussion on the subject. I wish there was just one option so the decision was just Go/No-Go. But deciding to do it, then with what hardware company, then what software company, then how to far to go... It's giving me a migraine. One thing I do have to have is cats -- we have visual inspection for cars 3+ years old in metro-ATL, and they use a mirror on a stick to actually check it.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Cueballbb
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Cobb stage 1 tune. I uninstalled before taking to dealer for new tranny. Am picking car up today. Dealer did not ask any questions or say a word. Will reinstall once have her back. One day will add the Dundon package and will be ready. Most refusals with warranties arise if Porsche can show an issue was caused by a modification. In the case of a mild tune the risk is quite low. To each his (or her ) own. I met a guy this weekend who will not track his GT4 because his wife does not want to void the warranty. Car is built to be driven hard. Enjoy!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

If you go with a COBB Tune I highly recommend going with a custom one......I think there are too many variables to get a OTS to work 100% for all cars. I will cost you a bit more but you will have one tailor made for your car and mods (if any).
The other plus is that it can be remotely modified. BGB did mine remotely and all they needed was several datalogs. They even fixed a little part Throttle hesitation after several months that I have seen in other GT4s, including mine.
As far as regretting dong it? No...absolutely no. It's the piece that brings together all the engine mods I have in the car and the 9A1 has been pretty bulletproof.

Last edited by jmartpr; 05-08-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:19 AM
UFreefer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put aftermarket tunes on most cars I've had and most of them had drawbacks somewhere...twitchy or glitch somewhere in the rpm band. The custom tune by BGB I had done was the first tune that has no drawbacks and feels smoother than stock and quite a bit quicker.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:03 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
If you go with a COBB Tune I highly recommend going with a custom one......I think there are too many variables to get a OTS to work 100% for all cars. I will cost you a bit more but you will have one tailor made for your cars and mods (if any).
The other plus is that it can be remotely modified. BGB did mine remotely and all they needed was several catalogs. They even fixed a little part Throttle hesitation after several months that I have seen in other GT4s, including mine.
As far as regretting dong it? No...absolutely no. It's the piece that brings together all the engine mods I have in the car and the 9A1 has been pretty bulletproof.
Yet again, thanks for the continued patronage of our business and the positive feedback!

Originally Posted by UFreefer
I've put aftermarket tunes on most cars I've had and most of them had drawbacks somewhere...twitchy or glitch somewhere in the rpm band. The custom tune by BGB I had done was the first tune that has no drawbacks and feels smoother than stock and quite a bit quicker.
Thanks! it looks like i need to have more hats and t-shirts made because if you guys are promoting us on the forums, i need your repping the BGB schwag at the race track! Thank you again!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Thanks! it looks like i need to have more hats and t-shirts made because if you guys are promoting us on the forums, i need your repping the BGB schwag at the race track! Thank you again!
Don't worry John....a 4.X L X51 conversion or GT Gears 2-3-4-5 +LSD would be Ok with me!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 AM
babadudu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are we talking about just the tune itself ? Or with hardware mods here?

From my research,

With a NA tune without hardware the power gain and price ratio I don't think it's worth it.

Power mainly unlocks from getting header intake runner plus the tune. That will not be easy to swap out for dealer service and the sound, although lovely, not everyone loves the volume and the change.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:31 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by babadudu
Are we talking about just the tune itself ? Or with hardware mods here?

From my research,

With a NA tune without hardware the power gain and price ratio I don't think it's worth it.

Power mainly unlocks from getting header intake runner plus the tune. That will not be easy to swap out for dealer service and the sound, although lovely, not everyone loves the volume and the change.
The Tune alone will smooth out the power curve a bit but it's best to pair them with headers. You do get power gains without mods but very little.
Just swapping sport headers (w/ cats) wont be a problem with almost all dealers....Cargraphics has a very nice setup in which the cats can be swap out for track days or put back when taking the car for inspection/dealer.
A tune with a good set of headers is a must on this car IMHO....

Quick Reply: Anyone Regetting getting a tune?