Sponsored by: APR

The Perfect Spec for me, but it has Range 5 over revs :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 01:37 PM
lastrealm3
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Perfect Spec for me, but it has Range 5 over revs :(

Hey everyone, been looking for the perfect spec GT4 for a couple months, $115k MSRP, PCCB, Buckets, CXX options. Asking price is $96k with 6200 miles, not CPO. Warranty into July 2022 would cost $4300 or $3k for powertrain only.

The car has been tracked it looks like, PPI would cost $350 from a third party, but I was finally able to convince them to give me the over rev report when the transmission recall was done on the car. It has range 5 over revs, it's too bad the report is cutoff at the total number of hours.

I can do my best to negotiate, but down the road I feel like other Porsche enthusiasts would skip on it, unless on a steep discount. Do I continue looking or am I over thinking it?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For $96K there are a lot of GT4s in your budget. Range 5 is pretty high - I think you should avoid the car.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:44 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Yeah, I would find another on.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:44 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought one in January with an original MSRP of $116k with similar options. No overrevs whatsoever. It had 5700+ miles. It was a dealer car so it is now covered by a CPO warranty through Aug 2021. It had brand new Sport Cup 2's. It had been given the 20km service. If you subtract the value of the service, CPO, and new tires, I think I paid about the ask on that car you are looking at. Just giving you the data point because it will help you make a decision.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM
lastrealm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
I bought one in January with an original MSRP of $116k with similar options. No overrevs whatsoever. It had 5700+ miles. It was a dealer car so it is now covered by a CPO warranty through Aug 2021. It had brand new Sport Cup 2's. It had been given the 20km service. If you subtract the value of the service, CPO, and new tires, I think I paid about the ask on that car you are looking at. Just giving you the data point because it will help you make a decision.
Thank you for this data point, by any chance is your car the GT Silver one that slipped away from me?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:02 PM
hyperspeedy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm guessing this is the black GT4 in houston? id definitely avoid it. I spoke to the porsche dealer that did the tranny replacement for this car last week. He himself said it looks like the car has been through its paces and he could not put a vote of confidence behind it. Also the mclaren dealer sales guy himself said he knew the owner (traded it in for a 720 or 600) and that he regularly tracked his cars. There's a reason why it's priced so low...
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM
hyperspeedy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if u want a black/black/yellow + PCCBs and LWBs, look for the one from Porsche Riverside (112k MSRP).
It's got almost the same build, 4k miles, has CPO already, way less overrevs, and i knew the previous owner and test drove it as well before it went to Riverside. Tranny replacement all done as well already.
PM me and I can give you pricing details on what they were willing to go down to.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:04 PM
lastrealm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hyperspeedy
i'm guessing this is the black GT4 in houston? id definitely avoid it. I spoke to the porsche dealer that did the tranny replacement for this car last week. He himself said it looks like the car has been through its paces and he could not put a vote of confidence behind it. Also the mclaren dealer sales guy himself said he knew the owner (traded it in for a 720 or 600) and that he regularly tracked his cars. There's a reason why it's priced so low...
You are correct, I'll take a pass on it then in that case.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

It isn't so much that the engine is going to have issues in the future as much as it is trying to sell it in a couple of years. If you are asking questions about it now, the next guy will be asking the same questions in the future. I would find another one.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:45 PM
lastrealm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bxstr
It isn't so much that the engine is going to have issues in the future as much as it is trying to sell it in a couple of years. If you are asking questions about it now, the next guy will be asking the same questions in the future. I would find another one.
Yea I agree, I'm moving past this car, unless price factors in the condition of the car.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrealm3
Yea I agree, I'm moving past this car, unless price factors in the condition of the car.
Be very careful shopping by price first and willing to accept damaged goods. Over revs above range 2 mean the transmission has had a huge amount of energy through it. It would be terrible if during your ownership you had to replace the transmission.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Be very careful shopping by price first and willing to accept damaged goods. Over revs above range 2 mean the transmission has had a huge amount of energy through it. It would be terrible if during your ownership you had to replace the transmission.
Isn't it really more a question of rods and heads more than tranny? I figure trannies normally have a torque spec (not hp) so they are mostly limited by engine output vs revs?

FWIW, range 5 wouldn't scare me as long as it was a while ago, passes a compression/leakdown test to make sure there wasn't any damage, and there's a commiserate discount.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:02 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

PCCB brakes cost too much to replace, find one with steel brakes not only will you pay less but later you will pay less too. Still overkill just not yellow and $22,500
Old 04-29-2019, 11:40 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
PCCB brakes cost too much to replace, find one with steel brakes not only will you pay less but later you will pay less too. Still overkill just not yellow and $22,500
So long as there's some decent life left in the pccbs seems like a great value used. Worst case you can replace with steel or surface transforms ceramics. Rotors on a Civic are even cheaper....
Old 04-30-2019, 09:14 PM
lastrealm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Perimeter
You're right about the transmission, but in this case it seems most GT4's are getting them replaced by Porsche.

Quick Reply: The Perfect Spec for me, but it has Range 5 over revs :(