Sponsored by: APR

2019 NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 01:50 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts
Default 2019 NY Auto Show

I hit the 2019 NYIAS Friday morning on the first public day. Not as many debuts or showstoppers as years past, but there were a few noteworthy cars. The new Supra looks good, as does the new Shelby GT500, although it's a large car. I'm pretty blah about the new Porsche Speedster. The rear hump just looks awkward to me. The high points for me were the competition cars--always fun to see things like the Acura NSX GT3, the IMSA Cadillac DPi-V.R prototype, and the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 car. I've seen Indy cars in the flesh, but never an F1 car--it's much much longer than I realized. The high points for my 11 year-old were the big Mercedes Sprinter work vans--he loves them! Video of highlights follows:

Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I hate the way the new F1 cars look. They look like old speed jet cars to me, to long.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:34 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with you the Porsche product line isn't offering anything that excites me ! Overall the show is a total disappointment . I only attended to be with friends
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 AM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great video! Really well done. Too bad the show wasn’t better
Old 04-20-2019, 12:03 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for sharing the well done video. The highlight for me was seeing the mint white early 70's Nissan Z car which was my first car.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Great video, Loved the music.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Great video! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-2019, 02:44 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks, paradocs98, now my wife and I don't have to go to the show! JK. Really, thank you for the video.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:10 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Thanks for sharing. I hate the way the new F1 cars look. They look like old speed jet cars to me, to long.
It's too bad they went down the road of dumping the V-10/V-12 and V-8 NA engines for the 1.6 liter V6 turbo in 2014.
That's literally when they lost me as a fan. I tried to continue to watch, but it was pointless.
Indy Car racing is so much more competitive and exciting to watch.
It's not even close.

I was fortunate to have attended the Canadian F1 race in Montreal on several occasions in the late 90's
Will never, ever forget the sound of those engines!

The first time I heard one of those cars shrieking down the straightaway at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, it was during a practice session.
I was crossing a small brick footbridge across the water way and onto the Ile Notre-Dame.
I had tears streaming down the side of my face out from under my sunlgasses.
And I had goose-bumps everywhere!
Old 04-20-2019, 06:51 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I just can’t get board with the new Supra. To me it’s a total let down. The Jesko is straight up out of this world. I don’t know what Audi did but I love the new R8. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-2019, 11:51 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video!!!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Great analogy. And the aero details of the cars are fascinating to see up close, but the overall effect is far from stylish or beautiful.

Originally Posted by orclean1
I agree with you the Porsche product line isn't offering anything that excites me ! Overall the show is a total disappointment . I only attended to be with friends
Yep, a bit weak compared to years past.

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
Great video! Really well done. Too bad the show wasn’t better
Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
Thanks for sharing the well done video. The highlight for me was seeing the mint white early 70's Nissan Z car which was my first car.
Me too. My mom had an original 240z in the early 70s. I remember being little and riding in the back, unbelted, as we zipped along two-lane country roads. Probably lucky to be here.

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Great video, Loved the music.
Thanks Bill.

Originally Posted by Craig67
Great video! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 9elheven
Thanks, paradocs98, now my wife and I don't have to go to the show! JK. Really, thank you for the video.
I might have saved you from an expensive dinner out in the city afterwards.

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
It's too bad they went down the road of dumping the V-10/V-12 and V-8 NA engines for the 1.6 liter V6 turbo in 2014.
That's literally when they lost me as a fan. I tried to continue to watch, but it was pointless.
Indy Car racing is so much more competitive and exciting to watch.
It's not even close.

I was fortunate to have attended the Canadian F1 race in Montreal on several occasions in the late 90's
Will never, ever forget the sound of those engines!

The first time I heard one of those cars shrieking down the straightaway at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, it was during a practice session.
I was crossing a small brick footbridge across the water way and onto the Ile Notre-Dame.
I had tears streaming down the side of my face out from under my sunlgasses.
And I had goose-bumps everywhere!
I’ve heard that the viewing in Montreal is amazing. I think this will make you happy:

Originally Posted by JonA85
I just can’t get board with the new Supra. To me it’s a total let down. The Jesko is straight up out of this world. I don’t know what Audi did but I love the new R8. Thanks for sharing!
Is it the Supra’s styling or mechanicals that are disappointing? How about the new Z4?

Originally Posted by fishing
Great video!!!
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I’ve heard that the viewing in Montreal is amazing. I think this will make you happy:
Yup, thanks for sharing that.
The #28 was Gerhard Berger's car.

In fact, Jean Alesi won the Canadian Grand Prix in 1995 in the #27 Ferrari 412.
This was the year where they dropped down to 3.0 liters from 3.5

The #27 was significant, as it was the same as Canadian Gilles Villeneuve.

The Canadian Grand Prix was Alesi's only victory in F1 and it took him 5 years to achieve that. He and Gerhard Berger were teammates, and both left for Benetton in 1996, when Michael Schumacher joined Ferrari. Berger had grown rather frustrated while at Ferrari, being the #2 driver.

Here's Alesi in the first lap of the '95 British Grand Prix

Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The single most amazing sound of my life was at Indy - US GP in 2000. First practice hearing the two Ferrari's come down the front straight the very first time standing at turn 4. I literally bawled like a baby. The screaming motors echoing off all the metal in the grandstands....whah...completely unreal. No other car sounded like those two Ferrari's. They were all amazing, but my God those Ferrari's were just on another level.

I went 4 times to Indy before the motor change. So glad. Wife and I went to Monza in 2017. Such a bummer sound-wise. Blah. Miss the NA.

Thanks for the vid!!!

John
Old 04-22-2019, 12:55 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Really well done video. Thanks!

And the F1 video was spectacular.

Quick Reply: 2019 NY Auto Show