Trailer Choices - Again, sorry - Aluma 7816

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:22 PM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Choices - Again, sorry - Aluma 7816 and ATC 8.5x18

Hi Guys,

Anyone use a Aluma 7816 currently for the GT4 ?

1st post here at Rennlist. I've searched and dug by both searching the GT4 forum and a general search.

I'm mid stream in buying a white GT4 and also have an 84 911 plus a Caterham 7. The 7 is also a pain to load but it hits at the exhaust guards.

I'm looking a couple of trailers but the Aluma 7816 would be the lightest and smallest that is available locally new. I love the 16ft size but ease of loading is my concern.

I can only find one ad here for an Aluma 7816 which reports it's a great trailer but no real shots loaded. Even using the Googles doesn't show it with cars or low ground clearance vehicles.

Anyone use a Aluma 7816 currently for the GT4 ? If you could share your experience loading and tie down set up it would help me make my decision.

I'm really curious what it takes to get the 6 degree ramp angle on the Aluma. Which Race Ramps or other gear/set up does it require, if any.

My other choice is an ATC 8.5x18 which comes with longer ramps and a beaver tail. It's a very nice trailer but the GT4 is the largest car I would tow. I think... lol

SEE THE ATC HERE

No matter what I do, I'll post the results here. If you guys would like, I can re-title this thread to make it where everyone post photos and details of their trailer set ups that are GT4 specific.

It would be nice to have everything in one place.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Last edited by WarbirdDude; 04-21-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a 16' ATC CHX. I need race ramps to load my car even with the longer ramps and beaver tail. I'm sure the 18' will have a bit more clearance, but don't think you can clear without race ramps either way since the ramps are both 84" long. Great trailers for the money though, all top notch.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Try sending the OP of this thread a PM. He is selling a 7816, so he might have some insight as to what fits.

https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...m-trailer.html
Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 PM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

Thanks James.

Wish my local ATC dealer had a 16ft in stock. I'm leaning toward the ATC, it seems the extra length of the 18ft and beaver tail is the way to go for loading low clearance vehicles. With Race Ramps....

Thanks Klepper, I'll drop him a note. It's too far for me to grab that one.

Joe

Old 04-17-2019, 05:53 PM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

Hey Guys,

A quick update.... Just cause I'm excited.

I just got off the phone with the Service Manager for the GT4. It came back with 0 over revs.... Not a single one.

It's confirmed, I need a trailer !!!

I'll post photos and tell lies about it once it gets here. I'm planning to ship it directly to my local dealer for the transmission swap, CPO approval/extension, and a little protection film work. Then the fun begins.

Any trailer info you would like to post here would be great. Currently I'm bouncing around a bunch of threads collecting data and turning my brain to mush.

Joe
Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 PM
trkshoe
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a 22 ft ATC enclosed... loved it!!!
Towed with a diesel Cayenne without any issues... go bigger on the trailer... you always end up needed the space for tools/tires/spares... and a bed when the wife kicks me/you out :-)
Also, with ATC enclosed trailers resale is almost msrp (in my experience) as availability is scarce and material costs have been booming as of late.

I would go enclosed and 20 ft minimum.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:10 PM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

Thanks Trkshoe,

I hear you.... Alas, I max out at 6,000lbs as I'm towing with an X5.

Looks like ATC is getting a lot of love here. Speaks well of them.

Joe
Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by WarbirdDude
Thanks Trkshoe,

I hear you.... Alas, I max out at 6,000lbs as I'm towing with an X5.

Looks like ATC is getting a lot of love here. Speaks well of them.

Joe
I was going to get a 18’ too, but decided I rather have the smaller trailer because I store at my house. Can’t beat the price, got mine new for $5100.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:38 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

GT4 is a terrible choice to pull a trailer, I don't care if it's made of aluminum, titanium, or even carbon. The center exhaust makes finding a hitch especially difficult.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 838 Posts

RL has a truck and trailer forum. You might want to spend time in it.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

I almost did a spit take NoGaBiker... lol.

Hmmm.... maybe I can find a ball hitch that would mount to the spare tire on the rear of the 7 and use that to pull the GT4. Although, the tongue weight is equal to 1/3rd the weight of the entire car. Would need wheelie bars...

I’m going to go with the ATC 18ft tomorrow.

Joe
Old 04-18-2019, 12:20 AM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

I picked up a 20’ ATC. Did not need it to be that long but it was a good deal. I still need to use race ramps to get it on without scraping. I bought the split ramps due to the overall length of the RRs and had them change the height of the lip on the end where the trailer ramps rest and they work perfectly.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:40 AM
AdventureFlea
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys,

Anyone use a Aluma 7816 currently for the GT4 ?

1st post here at Rennlist. I've searched and dug by both searching the GT4 forum and a general search.

I'm mid stream in buying a white GT4 and also have an 84 911 plus a Caterham 7. The 7 is also a pain to load but it hits at the exhaust guards.

I'm looking a couple of trailers but the Aluma 7816 would be the lightest and smallest that is available locally new. I love the 16ft size but ease of loading is my concern.

I can only find one ad here for an Aluma 7816 which reports it's a great trailer but no real shots loaded. Even using the Googles doesn't show it with cars or low ground clearance vehicles.

Anyone use a Aluma 7816 currently for the GT4 ? If you could share your experience loading and tie down set up it would help me make my decision.

I'm really curious what it takes to get the 6 degree ramp angle on the Aluma. Which Race Ramps or other gear/set up does it require, if any.

My other choice is an ATC 8.5x18 which comes with longer ramps and a beaver tail. It's a very nice trailer but the GT4 is the largest car I would tow. I think... lol

SEE THE ATC HERE

No matter what I do, I'll post the results here. If you guys would like, I can re-title this thread to make it where everyone post photos and details of their trailer set ups that are GT4 specific.

It would be nice to have everything in one place.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
i had an Aluma trailer for years. It’s a great trailer. That said... it was a big enough pain in the *** to load the GT4 onto that I recently sold it. Went out and picked up a Futura trailer to just make my life easier.

With the Aluma trailer and race ramps I still ran into issues loading depending on the area in which I needed to do the loading/unloading.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:18 AM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

Thanks AdventureFlea,

I bought the ATC yesterday. You’re confirming what I was thinking and just couldn’t get past. The Aluma looks to be an awesome trailer. I searched and searched everyone’s setups as best as I could. The beaver tail and extra length of the ATC trailer sold it for me. The dealer is installing an extra set of D rings up front to help with the angles of the tie downs.

Here is the demo video of the ATC.

and a thread showing an example of a GT4 on the ATC trailer. My new D rings will be located where the front snap hooks are in the 1st post of this thread. I won’t need to wrap the tie downs around the trailer frame as shown.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...n-trailer.html

I’ll post photos as I move forward. Seeing everyone’s setups and hearing the details really helped.

Thanks.

Joe

Last edited by WarbirdDude; 04-21-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:35 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks AdventureFlea,

I bought the ATC yesterday. You’re confirming what I was thinking and just couldn’t get past. The Aluma looks to be an awesome trailer. I searched and searched everyone’s setups as best as I could. The beaver tail and extra length of the ATC trailer sold it for me. The dealer is installing an extra set of D rings up front to help with the angles of the tie downs.

Here is the demo video of the ATC.

https://youtu.be/hBOIV03KfF8

and a thread showing an example of a GT4 on the ATC trailer. My new D rings will be located where the front snap hooks are in the 1st post of this thread. I won’t need to wrap the tie downs around the trailer frame as shown.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...n-trailer.html

I’ll post photos as I move forward. Seeing everyone’s setups and hearing the details really helped.

Thanks.

Joe
That looks like a nice choice. So how much are these? I always considered the Featherlight my #1 choice, but they are pricey, although I'm not sure this is much cheaper if any.

Quick Reply: Trailer Choices - Again, sorry - Aluma 7816