Sponsored by: APR

Cost of replacing transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 02:26 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Cost of replacing transmission?

My transmission is starting to go out. There are metal bits in fluid and its making a good deal of noise.

It was a replacement transmission to fix 3rd gear issue. About 1 year since then, quite a bit of track time.

I haven't approached dealer about warranty - but I am just curious if anyone has had to pay to get transmission done and how much it cost. I may consider an upgrade too like swapping gears / diff. Should I do clutch at same time?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:31 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

As I understand it, Porsche doesn't sell transmission parts for the GT4 and a new trans is in the $9-10K range. If your third gear failure was early, you may have received a replacement that was no different from the one that failed. I would check with your dealer regarding the recall.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:36 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
As I understand it, Porsche doesn't sell transmission parts for the GT4 and a new trans is in the $9-10K range. If your third gear failure was early, you may have received a replacement that was no different from the one that failed. I would check with your dealer regarding the recall.
That will definitely be my first action. There are a few reasons I cannot do it at the moment, namely the car is in a different state and I want to bring it home first.

I am just trying to prepare for worst case scenario in case I have to pay for it to be done myself.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:00 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

All Porsche parts are warranted for two years! I think you will be covered! Keep us informed!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
All Porsche parts are warranted for two years! I think you will be covered! Keep us informed!
Interesting - I didn't consider that angle of it. Do you think it would be any disadvantage to taking it to a different dealer than the one who did the replacement? Geographically its not ideal for me.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

It should be covered but if not (hopefully not the case) I would go the GT Gears route......
Old 04-14-2019, 05:20 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Interesting - I didn't consider that angle of it. Do you think it would be any disadvantage to taking it to a different dealer than the one who did the replacement? Geographically its not ideal for me.
In the past year (beginning of this year) it seems Porsche announced an actual recall. Not sure if they would count previous work as an OK recall if the pets changed, so you might want to give them a shout and see if your vin is covered by the recall.

Edit: Redundant info about the recall. I missed it originally.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
This. It is still under warranty. Any dealer should be able to take care of it. They like warranty work.

Quick Reply: Cost of replacing transmission?