Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Badge in Red?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default GT4 Badge in Red?

I think I saw someone one the board who painted their GT4 badge red. Looked really nice on a white car. Was thinking of doing the same, especially since I have the red calipers and trim on the sides. Do you know if you can buy a pre-painted one or you need to remove your own and paint it yourself? If that's the case, what would your recommend for paint? TIA

Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Hit up @Crazy Eddie https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/954228-anyone-make-gt4-rear-logo-as-a-decal-4.html#post14672464
Old 04-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can also try Plastidip... you wouldn't even need to take the emblem off to do it.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

I did plasti dip. Never had done it before. Did 8 thin coats with recommended drying time in between.
Its lasted quite nicely for 3 years so far. Happy with the result.

i have red calipers, stitching, cage and harness.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Plastidip is great & if you don't like it or change your mind later can easily change. It's fairly durable too!
Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 AM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by S4drifter
I think I saw someone one the board who painted their GT4 badge red. Looked really nice on a white car. Was thinking of doing the same, especially since I have the red calipers and trim on the sides. Do you know if you can buy a pre-painted one or you need to remove your own and paint it yourself? If that's the case, what would your recommend for paint? TIA
Perhaps consider something similar to this paint scheme?
That may tie her altogether very nicely..
Old 04-04-2019, 06:24 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by S4drifter

i did this on my black GT4 badge in the rear ... I used a plastic dip gray matalic paint ... light coats like 6- 8 coats and it came out great ... but after painting the lettters ( they were off the car because I was having the whole car filmed and thr decided to go with just the GT4 on the back in gray 3M matalic and I really like the way it came out ... three are so many wats yo go and options ti try
If interested I try to did up some Picts of what we did
best regards
Ed
Originally Posted by Reborn996
You can also try Plastidip... you wouldn't even need to take the emblem off to do it.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:29 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Thank you for all the replies. So I assume if I plasti dipped it while it was on the car I would just have to mask everything off like crazy around the badge so as to not get overspray elsewhere correct? or can I apply it with a brush (sorry, never used it before). I could remove the badge, but the whole car was xpel'ed by the previous owner and i do not want to screw the xpel up around the badge.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No need to do a major mask job. That is the benefit of Plastidip. Check YouTube videos on it, you just spray the emblem and the excess around it can be peeled off.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:31 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

The only area I masked off was a rectangle that included the badge. The entire area inside the rectangle is sprayed with plasti dip multiple time (I did 8 passes with drying time in between per instructions). I masked off the car outside the rectangle just to be certain I didn't get overspray on the area (represented by blue squiggles)

Once you spray inside the rectangle, and let it dry and repeat - the entire area will be covered in red (or color of your choice). Once dry you take a corner and carefully peel - and it'll stick to the GT4 badge but come clean from the paint. No need to mask inside the "G" "T" or "4".

This was the only time I've ever done plasti dip and I'm very happy with the result. The nice part is: if you don't like it you can peel everything off, and I think mineral spirits also removes it (I don't recall for sure so read the directions).

I went on youtube and watched a few videos before tackling it. You can't make a mistake because everything is easily corrected. I like that it's not permanent.
Here is a representation of the area I masked off. Inside the rectangle is left unmasked and you spray across the entire rectangle in several passes. I masked all around the area to protect from overspray.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:15 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Thanks again everyone. Last question, do you think plastidip will peel off Xpel as well as it does a painted surface?

Quick Reply: GT4 Badge in Red?