Sponsored by: APR

Whats your opinion: GT4 or GT350R

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 04:11 AM
jaRS
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67greengt
Having been a big mustang guy my whole while life and recently getting my first Porsch, a GT4, I can give my two cents...

I would say the Shelby is arguably the best looking Mustang recently produced, very aggressively style with some throwback to the Viper in some ways, one down side is I think Ford made too many of them which doesn't help the exclusivity in my mind. The suspension and handling of the car is much better than previous cars and while the motor is amazing in its own right, Ford has had a ton of problems with the flat plane (next time you check out cars for sale pay attention to how many have had engines replaced under warranty). A good friend of mine that works at Roush (did all the tuning for Ford) said Ford spent a ton of money to get a Ferrari sound with sub par results. They made good power but the longevity and vibration issues with the Flat Plane just seemed to plague the car. In terms of tracking the Shelby weight is what comes to mind for me... My old 13' Boss 302 would eat brake pads and rotors like Candy, and while the Shelby has much better brakes it still heavy.

The GT4 is a stunning car, and in my mind a better looking car than Shelby. What I really liked about it was the balance, how nimble and quick it turned in and most importantly the weight. At less than 3000lbs its the lightest production car I've driven and you can sure feel that it is so lightweight. I'm thinking the brake pad/rotor life on the GT4 should be 2:1 on the Mustang when it comes to tracking them which I plan on doing with my GT4. I've been converted to Porsche now and so my vote would go to the GT4, but in all reality both cars would be a blast on track.

Good luck!
Tom
Do you find the tall gearing an issue both in street and track? The Gt350R's has a bold action feeling tremec gearbox. Does the GT4's buttery smooth transmission take away from the race inspired nature of the car?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 AM
jaRS
AutoX

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Agree with this - I had a GT350R and now a GT4. The power and sound of the GT350R was great, but it doesnt hold a candle to the GT4 as far as track driving experience. To be fair, I've swapped on for stiffer springs and done a few other mods to the GT4. But, I had also modded the GT350R. The GT4 laptimes beat the GT350R around most tracks that I frequent (Hallet and Barber) and is a lot more fun to drive. And is easier on tires and pads.....

All that being said, for $60-65k, the gt350r is a helluva track car.
Did you do handling mods only or power mods as well?

Which mods did you do and how have they enhanced the car both in street and track?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:45 PM
67greengt
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny, I've heard and read a lot about the tall gearing on the GT4, and while it definitely affects its straight line performance I don't mind it at all. For a track I actually find it a bit better to be honest (but thats just me) I don't think its smooth shifting takes away from it at all. I came from the MT82 transmission, then from a built T56 Magnum in my pro touring 67 Fastback and now to the GT4 unit and I love it. Definitely no complaints there. Thats what I love about the GT4 you can street cruise it, have fun on the street or the track and its perfectly at home doing it all!

Tom
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jaRS
Did you do handling mods only or power mods as well?

Which mods did you do and how have they enhanced the car both in street and track?
On the GT350R, I did the following: Lithium battery, track alignment (camber front and rear), carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber driveshaft, auto blip for rev matching, track pads and SRF fluid. I think thats it. I was mainly trying to lighten the car as much as possible. Dont know that I made much of a dent in the weight.

On the GT4: Lithium battery, dundon headers, forgeline 19 inch wheels, pirelli dh slicks, bc forged 19 inch wheels with R7's, camber plates, track alignment, swift springs, dundon headers, gt3 RS titanium center muffler and dundon over axel pipes, lightweight flywheel and clutch kit, rear wing extensions, roll bar, harnesses, sparco qrt evo II seats. Think thats it.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:23 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven a GT350 a little bit and coming from the GT4 I felt like it was a pretty boring experience. The car drives big and it doesn't feel, uhhhh, peppy? It's a big lumbering thing. I didn't dislike it but I felt like it was not much of an occasion and not that entertaining.

On the other side of it I find my Lotus to be a far more entertaining drive than the GT4 even though it's clearly not as nice a car.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 PM
jaRS
AutoX

Originally Posted by VLJ
I've driven a GT350 a little bit and coming from the GT4 I felt like it was a pretty boring experience. The car drives big and it doesn't feel, uhhhh, peppy? It's a big lumbering thing. I didn't dislike it but I felt like it was not much of an occasion and not that entertaining.

On the other side of it I find my Lotus to be a far more entertaining drive than the GT4 even though it's clearly not as nice a car.
How do you compare the exhaust note between both? Did one make the car feel more special over the other?
Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 AM
VLJ
Pro

Stock the Ford sounded better to me
Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ

Which Lotus do you have? Mine is really fun on the street in 30-60 minute blasts, but the GT4 you can drive all day, so that's the tradeoff.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

GT350 feels like a mountain bike to the GT4 road bike.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:10 PM
VLJ
Pro

Originally Posted by vantage
Which Lotus do you have? Mine is really fun on the street in 30-60 minute blasts, but the GT4 you can drive all day, so that's the tradeoff.
Exige S. I drove it home from Seattle last September with my girlfriend, we spent four days and went along the back side of the Sierra Nevadas. Neither of us had issues with the long drives. Maybe I'm just not a whiner.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Do you want to be able to see the track?

Quick Reply: Whats your opinion: GT4 or GT350R