New GT4 owner in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 AM
GS-HKG
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GT4 owner in Hong Kong

Greetings from HKG.

I recently (couple of months ago) bought my first Porsche and its a GT4! I spent a fair amount of time lurking on this forum and reading various threads as part of my diligence, including trying to understand the third gear failure issue.This forum was, and is, a very valuable source of crowd sourced information and I am very thankful for all the folks who have taken the time to post, often at length.

My car is 2016, Rhodium Silver, around 1,500 miles, carbon buckets and steel brakes.

HKG has no track so sadly the opportunities to really explore the true performance of the car and few and far between. I am super keen to spend a day at a Porsche Experience when I next travel to the US or Europe.

Loving the GT4, love the sound and love the agility and precise steering. My only criticism is that we have horrible roads, and in the GT4 I can feel every pothole and bump! The long gearing does not bother me so much and I am happy to report that Porsche have confirmed that they will, in about a month, do a recall in relation to the transmission.

Cheers
Gautam
Old 02-14-2019, 01:40 AM
startroops
Track Day

Congratulations on getting you GT4! I didn't see any last time I went back and I am sure you can find some nice roads to try it out. Good luck dealing with the heavy clutch in busy HK traffic though
Old 02-14-2019, 04:14 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-HKG
Greetings from HKG.

I recently (couple of months ago) bought my first Porsche and its a GT4! I spent a fair amount of time lurking on this forum and reading various threads as part of my diligence, including trying to understand the third gear failure issue.This forum was, and is, a very valuable source of crowd sourced information and I am very thankful for all the folks who have taken the time to post, often at length.

My car is 2016, Rhodium Silver, around 1,500 miles, carbon buckets and steel brakes.

HKG has no track so sadly the opportunities to really explore the true performance of the car and few and far between. I am super keen to spend a day at a Porsche Experience when I next travel to the US or Europe.

Loving the GT4, love the sound and love the agility and precise steering. My only criticism is that we have horrible roads, and in the GT4 I can feel every pothole and bump! The long gearing does not bother me so much and I am happy to report that Porsche have confirmed that they will, in about a month, do a recall in relation to the transmission.

Cheers
Gautam
If the roads are too rough you can look into a custom DSC Module, they can customize your electronic dampers to suit you. You can have extra soft in normal mode and sportier for smoother roads. Very easy to swap out, its a 10min job.

Here's the link,
https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/
Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Gautam, I'm usually in Hong Kong once a month for work. If you attend any car shows on the weekends, let me know and I'd love to join! I usually stay at the Sheraton TST, Ritz Carlton, or Grand Hyatt which are pretty central in HK. If you make your way to LA, I'll take you to the canyons which are beautiful.

Instagram - Kotykb
Old 02-14-2019, 05:38 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Old China Hand (Wan Chai) is my favorite HK bar

enjoy the GT4
Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 AM
GS-HKG
AutoX

delete.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 AM
GS-HKG
AutoX

Originally Posted by startroops
Congratulations on getting you GT4! I didn't see any last time I went back and I am sure you can find some nice roads to try it out. Good luck dealing with the heavy clutch in busy HK traffic though
Thanks. I use mine as a daily driver to work and it can become tiring in start/stop traffic.

A weekend drive to Shek-O golf course is the best place I have found to stretch its legs!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:22 AM
GS-HKG
AutoX

Originally Posted by James88
If the roads are too rough you can look into a custom DSC Module, they can customize your electronic dampers to suit you. You can have extra soft in normal mode and sportier for smoother roads. Very easy to swap out, its a 10min job.

Here's the link,
https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/
Thank you James - this is rather helpful as I was not aware this existed. May I ask if you know if this will void Porsche's extended warranty? Alternatively, could I simply keep the old part and switch that back in prior to service or any time I take the car to Porsche?
Thanks again for the info and the link. Much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 AM
GS-HKG
AutoX

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Old China Hand (Wan Chai) is my favorite HK bar

enjoy the GT4
Thank you.

Old China Hand, I believe, has now sadly closed....
Old 02-15-2019, 04:24 AM
GS-HKG
AutoX

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
Gautam, I'm usually in Hong Kong once a month for work. If you attend any car shows on the weekends, let me know and I'd love to join! I usually stay at the Sheraton TST, Ritz Carlton, or Grand Hyatt which are pretty central in HK. If you make your way to LA, I'll take you to the canyons which are beautiful.

Instagram - Kotykb
Please let me know when you are next in town. Always happy to meet other Porsche and GT4 enthusiasts....
Best, G
Old 02-15-2019, 05:04 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Thank you James - this is rather helpful as I was not aware this existed. May I ask if you know if this will void Porsche's extended warranty? Alternatively, could I simply keep the old part and switch that back in prior to service or any time I take the car to Porsche?
Thanks again for the info and the link. Much appreciated.
Yes, swap it out when you take it in for a service. Only takes about 10 min.
If you order the DSC just make sure you're very specific with them of how you want your ride to be.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Congrats on your new car... post some pics.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 02-27-2019, 12:25 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Please let me know when you are next in town. Always happy to meet other Porsche and GT4 enthusiasts....
Best, G
I'll be in Hong Kong this Saturday night through Monday morning. Are there any car shows going Sunday that you know of?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:30 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Congrats and enjoy in the best of health!
thanks for the info on the recall.

Pics please!!!

Quick Reply: New GT4 owner in Hong Kong