Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Rumor of GT4 transmission recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 03:40 AM
greenpeace
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 GT4 , I am from Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

I have been contacted today by my local Porsche dealer and they informed me that my car is subject to recall due to transmission for the 3rd gear issue.

Still waiting for further details they told me it will take 2 weeks to order the parts needed.

My car is out of warranty but they will still replace it without charge.

From what I have read so far that they have to replace the whole transmission without dismantling it.
once I get more information I will update this post, I have been following the 3rd gear issue on this forum and I was wondering if my car had this issue.

Although I didn't face any problems in 3rd gear, I have been having difficulty shifting to 2nd gear, it doesn't grind but its more like a crunch.
My car has 26k KM on it (16k Miles) and the issue with 2nd gear is for the past 10k KM (6.25k Miles).

Last edited by greenpeace; 02-12-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by greenpeace

I have been contacted today by my local Porsche dealer and they informed me that my car is subject to recall due to transmission for the 3rd gear issue.

Still waiting for further details they told me it will take 2 weeks to order the parts needed.

From what I have read so far that they have to replace the whole transmission without dismantling it.
once I get more information I will update this post, I have been following the 3rd gear issue on this forum and I was wondering if my car had this issue.

Although I didn't face any problems in 3rd gear, I have been having difficulty shifting to 2nd gear, it doesn't grind but its more like a crunch.
My car has 26k KM on it (16k Miles) and the issue with 2nd gear is for the past 10k KM (6.25k Miles).
Thank you for this.
Please keep us updated!

Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting. Can you post any paperwork you receive from the dealership?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

This would be great news if it continues over to the US. I would love to get my 3rd gear fixed as a recall!

Last edited by Klepper; 02-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:51 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 02-12-2019, 02:36 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

no one wants to eat a $11,000+ trans replacement . hope there is a recall(6/16 prod) ! carl
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Will be watching this thread closely, thanks for sharing all!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you for sharing this information.
I'm just curious about warranty period in UAE, in the US your car would still fall under warranty wit so few miles & well within a 4 year timeframe.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

My car is an early build and outside the failure range. But I'd take a new tranny...why not?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 PM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason M
My car is an early build and outside the failure range. But I'd take a new tranny...why not?
Me as well!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:39 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Wow. This is great. Build month?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

If they do a recall like they should, it may have a positive affect on resale values? Carl
Old 02-13-2019, 05:51 AM
Tutosky
4th Gear

Hi guys,

There is a recall in the UK and Ireland. To check our cars Porsche website has this link:

https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/vinrecalllooku...

I checked mine and got this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Campaigns
Replace manual transmission WJ88 Feb 08,2019

Description
A 6-speed manual gearbox, in which the durability of the gear wheel for 3rd gear cannot be guaranteed over the entire service life of the vehicle due to the high performance characteristic of the drive train, was installed on the affected vehicles.
Remedy
the transmission must be replaced by an optimised transmission with reinforced gear wheels.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Called my dealer and they said the replacement gearbox was ordered a few days ago. They will be letting me know when to bring my car to carry on with the job which could take 1 or 2 days. It seems that the limited slip diff will be replaced as well as is part of the g'box assy.

Hope the above info helps... last bit: our warranty period over here is only three years so most cars are out of it.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 AM
greenpeace
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Five12Free

Interesting. Can you post any paperwork you receive from the dealership?
sure will do once I get more information
Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
Thank you for sharing this information.
I'm just curious about warranty period in UAE, in the US your car would still fall under warranty wit so few miles & well within a 4 year timeframe.
here all GT cars are 2 years warranty and renewable up to 5 years.
I didn't renew mine
Originally Posted by BryanCO

Wow. This is great. Build month?
Allocation was May 2016 and delivery August 2016
Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 AM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tutosky
Hi guys,

There is a recall in the UK and Ireland. To check our cars Porsche website has this link:

https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/vinrecalllooku...

I checked mine and got this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Campaigns
Replace manual transmission WJ88 Feb 08,2019

Description
A 6-speed manual gearbox, in which the durability of the gear wheel for 3rd gear cannot be guaranteed over the entire service life of the vehicle due to the high performance characteristic of the drive train, was installed on the affected vehicles.
Remedy
the transmission must be replaced by an optimised transmission with reinforced gear wheels.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Called my dealer and they said the replacement gearbox was ordered a few days ago. They will be letting me know when to bring my car to carry on with the job which could take 1 or 2 days. It seems that the limited slip diff will be replaced as well as is part of the g'box assy.

Hope the above info helps... last bit: our warranty period over here is only three years so most cars are out of it.
Definitely helps. I can’t imagine this not happening in the US as well based on the above.

Quick Reply: Rumor of GT4 transmission recall