Sponsored by: APR

Dundon Race Headers and Track Sound Limits

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:21 AM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dundon Race Headers and Track Sound Limits

Hey guys - for those of you that have Dundon Race Headers installed on your GT4 and participate in track day events, have you run into issues with Sound Limits?

I recently had DMS Headers installed and will be taking my GT4 to NCM Motorsport Park in Bowling Green, KY (one of the closest tracks to me besides Putnam Park) and they have a Sound Limit of 103 dBA from 50ft off the edge of the track.

Thanks!

Last edited by greggmorton; 02-14-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:25 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by greggmorton
Hey guys - for those of you that have installed Dundon Race Headers on your GT4 and participate in track day events, have you run into issues with tracks that have Sound Limits?

I recently had DMS Headers installed and will be taking my GT4 to NCM Motorsport Park in Bowling Green, KY fairly often (one of the closest track to me besides Putnam Park) and they have a Sound Limit of 103 dBA from 50ft off the edge of the track.

Thanks!
Assuming stock PSE depending on weather I get about 91-93db, 103db should be a non issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:36 AM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Assuming stock PSE depending on weather I get about 91-93db, 103db should be a non issue.
That’s great to know. Thanks @ajw45. Yessir, stock PSE for now. Eyeing the GT3 muffler conversion with Dundon Intake Runners for a bit later in the year.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Hmmm... At Laguna Seca in December, my paddock neighbor was running a bone-stock GT4. He failed the sound check twice that day and the posted limit was 90dBA but the sound tech gives you 1dbA extra. He had to feather the throttle going by the sound booth. So, that meant a stock GT4 was reading 91dBA, at least at Laguna on that particular day.

I have Cargraphics race headers and also Gert Carnewal's PSE remote control (I can choose always open and always closed) and I can tell you that it is beautifully loud from the outside. I guess I should meter it someday.

AJW45 -- are you saying your car meters at 91-93dBA with race headers and stock exhaust?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:53 PM
TM5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran at NCM with dundon catless and didn’t have a problem - had to be close to the limit though...
Old 02-01-2019, 02:17 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
...I have Cargraphics race headers and also Gert Carnewal's PSE remote control (I can choose always open and always closed)...
I was thinking of a similar setup as I wouldn't mind some Dundon headers, but was concerned as to how loud it would be on my daily commute. I wanted a way to control the stock PSE so that, if needed, I could keep the valves closed. Jamie said that we shouldn't keep the valves closed, especially at t WOT, as it will hurt the engine due to the gasses needing to flow. Granted, I wasn't planning on tooling around town at WOT with the valves closed all the time, just that if I give it some throttle on a section to accelerate away, I wanted to prevent the valves from auto-opening and unleashing that sound.

Is this essentially what you are doing with your Carnewal remote or are you simply using it to remain open all the time?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

AJW45 also picked up a Quiet Muffler for his GT3 muffler conversion, not something to run all the time mind you as it does it's job pretty well and kills some of the fun, but a great solution for those that are trying to run tracks that are "unrealistic" for dB output on modern high horsepower cars...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 02-01-2019, 06:58 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Hmmm... At Laguna Seca in December, my paddock neighbor was running a bone-stock GT4. He failed the sound check twice that day and the posted limit was 90dBA but the sound tech gives you 1dbA extra. He had to feather the throttle going by the sound booth. So, that meant a stock GT4 was reading 91dBA, at least at Laguna on that particular day.

I have Cargraphics race headers and also Gert Carnewal's PSE remote control (I can choose always open and always closed) and I can tell you that it is beautifully loud from the outside. I guess I should meter it someday.

AJW45 -- are you saying your car meters at 91-93dBA with race headers and stock exhaust?
YMMV and every track is different but Tremblant has a DB limit of 92db and on the right day I can pass or fail, so I'm right on the limit with DMS race headers and PSE off. Peak I've hit there is 93.5db. I switched to a DMS quiet GT3 exhaust and it shaved like 1db off the stock PSE so I can still exceed the limit but it's close enough I don't have to lift or short shift before the sound meter. By comparison with DMS race headers, stock GT3rs exhaust and PSE on I hit 100db+ at AMP
Old 02-01-2019, 07:40 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
AJW45 also picked up a Quiet Muffler for his GT3 muffler conversion, not something to run all the time mind you as it does it's job pretty well and kills some of the fun, but a great solution for those that are trying to run tracks that are "unrealistic" for dB output on modern high horsepower cars...
Hah, right, it's too good! I figure with the quiet muffler and turn aways I can beat the Limerock limit (89db?)....
Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

YMMV and every track is different but Tremblant has a DB limit of 92db and on the right day I can pass or fail, so I'm right on the limit with DMS race headers and PSE off. Peak I've hit there is 93.5db. I switched to a DMS quiet GT3 exhaust and it shaved like 1db off the stock PSE so I can still exceed the limit but it's close enough I don't have to lift or short shift before the sound meter. By comparison with DMS race headers, stock GT3rs exhaust and PSE on I hit 100db+ at AMP
Is this with DMS over axle pipes? Do you have any sound clips of the DMS quiet muffler? Do you run them all the time?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Is this with DMS over axle pipes? Do you have any sound clips of the DMS quiet muffler? Do you run them all the time?
I'm running the TPC kit but I imagine it's similar from sound perspective. No sound clips unfortunately since I don't run it all the time. You totally could run the quiet muffler and headers full time, the combination still isn't really quiet, I just prefer the sound of the louder angrier RS exhaust.

I've actually been running the GT4 akra for a while now and even though it cost me a few hp up top I'm really liking the sound with the race headers. It's somewhere in between the stock RS exhaust and the Dundon quiet exhaust....
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

I have Dundon headers on my GT4 and I'm bummed I won't be able to go to Laguna with my buddies this year with my setup. Are there any silencers that I can stick in my muffler tips?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Charliekay
Racer

I'm running the TPC kit but I imagine it's similar from sound perspective. No sound clips unfortunately since I don't run it all the time. You totally could run the quiet muffler and headers full time, the combination still isn't really quiet, I just prefer the sound of the louder angrier RS exhaust.

I've actually been running the GT4 akra for a while now and even though it cost me a few hp up top I'm really liking the sound with the race headers. It's somewhere in between the stock RS exhaust and the Dundon quiet exhaust....
Did you ever run the Dundon headers with PSE? If so how does the sound of the quiet dundon muffler compare to the standard PSE?

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I have Dundon headers on my GT4 and I'm bummed I won't be able to go to Laguna with my buddies this year with my setup. Are there any silencers that I can stick in my muffler tips?
This is the concern I have. We have 96db limit on some tracks here and I know race headers will get flagged but my current catted headers had never been flagged. If the Dundon race headers with quiet muffler goes back to catted headers sound level or there abouts then I will be safe.

I wonder if anyone has done any testing of different sound levels of different setups.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:50 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Did you ever run the Dundon headers with PSE? If so how does the sound of the quiet dundon muffler compare to the standard PSE?
Yup, was 1-2db louder with the stock PSE (PSE off)! They sound totally different so hard to compare but the quiet muffler is a touch quieter. You could add turndowns and shave off a little more and probably get under 90db with race headers...
Old 02-14-2019, 03:20 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Yup, was 1-2db louder with the stock PSE (PSE off)! They sound totally different so hard to compare but the quiet muffler is a touch quieter. You could add turndowns and shave off a little more and probably get under 90db with race headers...
We have 96db limits here so if you can get it close to 90db with turn down then 96db should be fine for race headers and quiet muffler.

Race headers and quiet muffler might be around the same as catted headers and PSE.

I guess there is only one way to really find out. ��

Last edited by Charliekay; 02-14-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Dundon Race Headers and Track Sound Limits