Sponsored by: APR

Newer GT4 vs older 360 Modena

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,081 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Go drive both, I think there will be a huge difference. I haven't driven a 360, but I do know many say the NSX is much better than the F355.
Had both a 91NSX and a 94 F355. The NSX was a better car, more solid with better driving dynamics and workmanship but a lot less exciting !
New Ferrari's are beautiful well made cars . Come a long ways. carl
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a 91 NSX as well. Brilliantly engineered car. Pretty darn good looking. Somewhat boring. Felt like a very fast accord to me. Ended up selling it for a built 930... night and day
Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I had a 2002 NSX that end up CTSCd with a lot of suspension work. Was a good car. Don't think about it when Im in the GT4!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:18 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I’m not sure what benefit the F360 has over the GT4
The stand out IMO is pretty much perfect gearing. While many say the GT4 gearing feels too long the F cars are rather short/close in comparison. Makes it a lot of fun on the street when you can bang through the gears and still be at sane speeds.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Funny enough I was in the same boat and was looking at 360s and 430s. Even did a spreadsheet too.

What it came down to was this: Do you want a Point A to Point A car, or a Point A to point B car?

I wanted a car I could drive every opportunity I could. Not as a daily, but as often as possible for canyon carving, road trip, etc....

I took a 6 hour trip with my wife to the mountains for our anniversary, stayed in a bed and breakfast and parked at a trailhead to go hiking. I would not have done that in a Ferrari.
I went to home depot when it was about to rain. I would not have done that in a Ferrari.
I took the wife to dinner downtown and left the car unattended in a parking garage. I would not have done that in a Ferrari.

My point was to get as much enjoyment as possible out of my new toy. I did not want to have to wait until I had some free time, on a a nice sunny day where I did not have to leave the car unattended or maybe get rained on. No regrets with my GT4. Another option that I would have considered over the Ferrari is a 2014 Audi R8 V10 Manual. Also in the same price range.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by S4drifter
Funny enough I was in the same boat and was looking at 360s and 430s. Even did a spreadsheet too.

What it came down to was this: Do you want a Point A to Point A car, or a Point A to point B car?

I wanted a car I could drive every opportunity I could. Not as a daily, but as often as possible for canyon carving, road trip, etc....

I took a 6 hour trip with my wife to the mountains for our anniversary, stayed in a bed and breakfast and parked at a trailhead to go hiking. I would not have done that in a Ferrari.
I went to home depot when it was about to rain. I would not have done that in a Ferrari.
I took the wife to dinner downtown and left the car unattended in a parking garage. I would not have done that in a Ferrari.

My point was to get as much enjoyment as possible out of my new toy. I did not want to have to wait until I had some free time, on a a nice sunny day where I did not have to leave the car unattended or maybe get rained on. No regrets with my GT4. Another option that I would have considered over the Ferrari is a 2014 Audi R8 V10 Manual. Also in the same price range.
I still do all of the above in my Ferrari. Works perfectly fine for all those occasions. It's more violent for sure then the Porsche but that adds to its specialness to me.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM
bocon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S4drifter

I just want a super fun car for a sunny Saturday morning. It should also look spectacular (GT4 ticks this box as well). I would go to my favorite twisty roads in the mountains on Alabama/Tennessee border. I would also do a few track days. I would never use it to just go a few miles running an errand. I would spend all of Monday thru Friday looking forward to the weekend drive. And if it was going to rain on the weekend then I would just have to wait some more which would make the next weekend drive even more special. I have been obsessed with GT4 for several years but now i guess i am considering something different. I can't believe the sound the 360 makes - i have never heard anything that good (at least on YouTube).
Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bocon
I just want a super fun car for a sunny Saturday morning. It should also look spectacular (GT4 ticks this box as well). I would go to my favorite twisty roads in the mountains on Alabama/Tennessee border. I would also do a few track days. I would never use it to just go a few miles running an errand. I would spend all of Monday thru Friday looking forward to the weekend drive. And if it was going to rain on the weekend then I would just have to wait some more which would make the next weekend drive even more special. I have been obsessed with GT4 for several years but now i guess i am considering something different. I can't believe the sound the 360 makes - i have never heard anything that good (at least on YouTube).

Possibly this stripper GT4 would do it for you.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...cayman-gt4-26/
Old 01-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Well there’s 1 less Modena to worry about buying..........

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/ma...ke-jesus-told/
Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every Ferrari owner I have ever know has been paralyzed by the fear of putting mileage on their cars, they worry about depreciation because Ferrari's are so sensitive to miles and maintenance/repairs. For that reason despite their appeal they are not a car for me. I want something that I can drive freely, track and will be durable enough to stand up the a little exercise. My perception is that Ferrari's are kinda fragile. To me this would be a no-brainer. GT4 is a better car
Old 01-23-2019, 11:53 AM
bocon
Intermediate

I don't know a lot about Ferraris so I have been using the google machine. According to those who have experience, 360 maintenance costs are overblown on the interweb because it is not like previous Ferraris (355 etc). It is the first car that does not require engine removal for routine maintenance because they added the large removable panel behind the seats so you can get at all the belts etc (you have to remove the seats).

For depreciation, it is hard to say what will happen if you buy a high mileage MY2000 360 at a lower price, drive 5-10K per year and then sell a high mileage MY2000 360. You may not lose much compared to a 2016 GT4 which has just started its trip down the depreciation curve. Here is Hagerty 6 year graph of MY2000 360 values for concourse, excellent, good, fair. Even the fair cars are holding up ok:

Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bocon
I don't know a lot about Ferraris so I have been using the google machine. According to those who have experience, 360 maintenance costs are overblown on the interweb because it is not like previous Ferraris (355 etc). It is the first car that does not require engine removal for routine maintenance because they added the large removable panel behind the seats so you can get at all the belts etc (you have to remove the seats).

For depreciation, it is hard to say what will happen if you buy a high mileage MY2000 360 at a lower price, drive 5-10K per year and then sell a high mileage MY2000 360. You may not lose much compared to a 2016 GT4 which has just started its trip down the depreciation curve. Here is Hagerty 6 year graph of MY2000 360 values for concourse, excellent, good, fair. Even the fair cars are holding up ok:
Not sure who you are trying to convince - us or yourself?

Have you driven either of the cars?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Every Ferrari owner I have ever know has been paralyzed by the fear of putting mileage on their cars, they worry about depreciation because Ferrari's are so sensitive to miles and maintenance/repairs. For that reason despite their appeal they are not a car for me. I want something that I can drive freely, track and will be durable enough to stand up the a little exercise. My perception is that Ferrari's are kinda fragile. To me this would be a no-brainer. GT4 is a better car
They are fragile only because people don't drive them. It's up to the owner to drive the car so don't base your experience off others. I have drove mine as much as I can and it has never once disappointed me or left me stranded. The only way this bad Ferrari perception changes is if more people buy them and actually drives them.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:09 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got to chime in from the perspective of a previous 360 owner. Mine was a gated manual.

Driving the 360 was a special experience each time. So much so that I am contemplating getting another. The sound, especially with an exhaust, is sensational and intoxicating.
Maintenance wasn't as big a deal as most make it out to be. Sure it'll be more than a GT4, but it's not end of the world expensive.

By comparison, I think the GT4 will drive great, and the 360 does as well, but there's just something about the element of a Ferrari that captures you in a way that
Porsche can't.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:50 PM
carcrazyteen
Advanced

Having both I would say it is a tough choice. I have had the 360 for 10 years and have driven it a lot and a little. The more you drive it the better they do. I, to this day, and many cars later still love nothing more than taking the 360 for a spin. I drive it to work, take it on road trips, and all the fun stuff in between. The trunk is about the same size as the GT4 and it is just as usable. I have buckets in the GT4 so I would say the 360 is a little more comfortable.
I agree that the GT4 does not have the element of Ferrari, but it is hands down my favorite manual car. I find it more practical from a regular use standpoint, and it feels much more capable than the 360. It definitely gets less attention than the 360 making it a little easier to drive around often.
Having done road trips in both, I would say the 360 is a little more comfortable.

As far as operating costs, the 360 has been around $1.5k a year on average.
If I had to choose today I would go with the Ferrari, because it is a Ferrari, and 10 years later I still get the thrills and raw feeling that the GT4 doesn't quite deliver.
If it were my only car....heart says Ferrari, brain says GT4.

Sorry if that was not any help.

Last edited by carcrazyteen; 01-25-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: details

Quick Reply: Newer GT4 vs older 360 Modena