Sponsored by: APR

Newer GT4 vs older 360 Modena

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM
bocon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer GT4 vs older 360 Modena

I have been thinking recently about these two cars. Here is a little spreadsheet:

Some pictures:

Here are some nice engine sound clips:

Here are some buying guides:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...ou-need-238740
https://www.exoticcarhacks.com/car-r...-buyers-guide/

Here is an article that does not recommend an older Ferrari (Modena) but does recommend a Porsche. I don't think i agree with most of it:
Owning A Ferrari For A Year Was A Disappointment

What are your thoughts on this comparison?

Last edited by bocon; 01-13-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally I’ve always felt the 360 was sort of the 996 of the F-car line up. Just something about the lines that i’ve never liked. That plus the fact that maintenance is going to be much more expensive on that car would point me towards a GT4. i also doubt that scheduled maintenance on a 360 is something you can do in your garage.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SGOGT4
Personally I’ve always felt the 360 was sort of the 996 of the F-car line up. Just something about the lines that i’ve never liked. That plus the fact that maintenance is going to be much more expensive on that car would point me towards a GT4. i also doubt that scheduled maintenance on a 360 is something you can do in your garage.
Totally beat me to it. And it's as much because the F355 was the 993 of V8 middie Ferraris. When 360 came out and I read the articles with Montezemola defending the looks as more aero and more modern and blah blah blah, I just never bonded either.

That said, it's one of the cheapest ways to scratch the itch if you've got it, at least in a car that still has decent performance in the modern era (just don't try to run with V8 Mustangs ). And they sound great, and seeing that big red V8 back there is certainly a great visual in and of itself. But it's just hard for me to forgive the missing iconic center grill opening.

Image Linker is down right now so I'll just link to a site with a great picture
Old 01-13-2019, 08:11 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Totally agree on the F355/ 993 analogy...
Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM
bocon
Intermediate

i also doubt that scheduled maintenance on a 360 is something you can do in your garage.
I have a two post lift, engine hoist and lots of nice tools. I have done engine swaps, removed transmissions etc. But I don't know how good YouTube or online owner forums are in terms of people showing you how to do things or if there is the equivalent of a Bentley manual. Probably not a lot of DIY info compared to BMW or Porsche DIY info on the web. So you might be right. Although some folks take Modenas to track days and do gentleman club racing so maybe those forums have good info.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:18 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two completely different cars! What do you plan on using them for? Daily, track, fair weather cruising?
Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 PM
bocon
Intermediate

Not for daily. Mostly for canyon carving on a sunny Saturday. However, I would contemplate attending up to four track weekends (Saturday and Sunday) a year. Two at Road Atlanta and two at Barber Motorsports Park. Just because of distance to tracks, I would get a hotel and so I would do both Saturday and Sunday. So maybe eight track days total each year. I would be nervous at Road Atlanta because i have crashed there before (T3). I would get insurance.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:03 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had my GT4 for a little over a year and so far my 'maintenance cost'...which I assume does not include fuel...has been about $70. Oil change. DYI. I know it's not the same car, but my wife's brother purchased a Ferrari 355 a couple years ago for a decent price. I think it was in the $60K's or $70K's. In the first six months of ownership, he spent $21,000 on maintenance. It didn't break...that was just the maintenance. He has since sold it and now drives a 996 911. I don't think the 360 has the same ridiculous service requirements of a 355...but...wow.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bocon
Not for daily. Mostly for canyon carving on a sunny Saturday. However, I would contemplate attending up to four track weekends (Saturday and Sunday) a year. Two at Road Atlanta and two at Barber Motorsports Park. Just because of distance to tracks, I would get a hotel and so I would do both Saturday and Sunday. So maybe eight track days total each year. I would be nervous at Road Atlanta because i have crashed there before (T3). I would get insurance.
LOL, I've gone off at 3, years ago, chasing a 930 in a turbo Miata. Just slid through the grass sideways, thankfully, but as it was unfolding in slo-mo and I was heading sideways for the edge of the track I had a vivid mental image of the two left wheels digging in (I think I was going about 80 or so, but it was maybe '97 so memory's foggy) and the car doing about five rolls before stopping. But nope, just a benign slide through the grass, a slow completion of that lap, a trip into the pits for inspection and nerves to settle, and back out. But I've been wary of that bastard ever since.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

What comments are you getting from the Ferrari forum(s)?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Their acquisition costs may be similar (if not higher for a stick 360) but you may eat it with regular maintenance/ repairs. Have a look at
. He seems down to earth and has a f430 but you can get a general idea regarding his costs which I suspect aren't too far from a 360.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:02 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Very different ownership experiences. I’m not sure what benefit the F360 has over the GT4, but I can come up with an easy dozen things that I feel the GT4 has over it.
It would be close if you wanted to compare to a really nice F430. That’s the better car over the F360, by far. Way better.
But god help you with either car if something goes wrong - at least you might be covered under warranty in the GT4.
I’ve always felt that you get an fcar when you don’t want anything but. If you’re seriously considering a GT4, not sure I’d choose an older fcar. I would however consider a McLaren MC12!!!!!!! Those prices have been destroyed and that is one hell of a car for the money - you NEED a warranty on it tho.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkfuel
Their acquisition costs may be similar (if not higher for a stick 360) but you may eat it with regular maintenance/ repairs. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXLN11hjSL0&t=1s . He seems down to earth and has a f430 but you can get a general idea regarding his costs which I suspect aren't too far from a 360.
could this guy be any less clear on what he includes in which categories... counts insurance and interest as maintenance costs in one breath and then includes maintenance costs in his YouTube costs...

Last edited by SGOGT4; 01-13-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 PM
jkfuel
Racer

could this guy be any less clear on what he includes in which categories... counts insurance and interest as maintenance costs in one breadth and then includes maintenance costs in his YouTube costs...
Sorry this probably wasn’t the best post covering it but he has the cost breakdown in a prior video- I apologize but I’m too lazy to look it up right now 🤔
Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Sorry... was feeling a little snarky at that moment. Appreciate the research!

Quick Reply: Newer GT4 vs older 360 Modena