GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Newer GT4 vs older 360 Modena

Old 01-26-2019, 01:20 AM
bocon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their thoughts. It is very helpful to hear from those who have driven one or even both of the cars. By far, the two cars at the top of my list are GT4 and 360 (I can only afford one of them). I need to wait one more year to pay off my mortgage and then I can have a lot of fun doing some test drives. They would both be great choices I think. Here is another DeMuro video where he compares a Cayman S and the 360. He definitely thinks people should buy the Cayman S over the 360.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:57 AM
gaxford
5th Gear

Hey Bocan.. i have a 360 manual spider and a GT4 so thought I would chime in..The 360 is best when driven frequently. I put 5000km/year on it, and have done a few 1000km road trips and Targa Tasmania in it all with no issues. I find the suspension slightly softer and the steering and clutch lighter than the GT4. The 360 is better on winding road with the top down. It has an extra 1000 rpm to red line and sounds like true Ferrari when there.. especially with an aftermarket exhaust. The GT4 has way more grip and way better brakes (I have the steel). It sounds pretty good too but not like a GT3 or 360.
360's are 15 plus year old cars now and require special attention.. suspension/brakes/pads interior sticky switches, interior leather, ECU/immobiliser issues, check engine light codes, etc... i enjoy working on the car so to me that is part of the fun of having an older Ferrari. I have spent about $4,000 AUD/year in maintenance.

The GT4 gets its annual maintenance at the dealer and some extras done at an independent.. Porsche discourages you from working on the engine yourself. it is hidden away nicely and this is my only real complaint against Porsche design.

The GT4 is a beast at the track.. I am 20 seconds faster at SMSP (here in Sydney) in the GT4 vs the 360.. most of that comes down to grip and brakes.. straight line speed and power is quite similar.

The other thing i would consider (if you have the time) are the car clubs (Porsche and Ferrari).. Club activities make the ownership experience much more special. Is there a local branch near where you live?.. Its worth contacting them and seeing if you have a preference in the people or activities they offer.

They are both great cars.. For ease of ownership and capabilities I would choose the GT4. For the special feeling that only an exotic Italian can provide .. of course the Ferrari wins.

If i had could only have 1.. I would choose the 360.
PM me if you have any specific questions.
Good luck with your car shopping
Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM
bocon
Intermediate

Wow - what a great review! Lots of concrete, real-world, useful information. Nothing beats a review from someone who owns and drives both. I can only afford one. I have been a gear head for many years (Spec Miata then several E46 cars) so I would try do as much work as possible in my garage. Right now I am leaning (slightly) towards 360. Mainly because of the looks and the sound. I definitely want a manual and i definitely don't want red, yellow or black (prefer dark gray or bluish silver) and so that will make the search take longer and make cost closer to US$100K. I really need to test drive both and see which i prefer. When i had SM I constantly tried to beat my best at some dangerous tracks (Road Atlanta) and it became stressful - fun - but stressful. Now I don't really care about beating my best at a track day. At a track day I just want to enjoy the day, have fun, maybe find another driver who has same attitude and similar lap times so we can have some fun chases. I am not really a car club person where (usually older) people drive really slow to a restaurant in the mountains or sit around in a parking lot talking about their cars. I am older too but it's just not my scene. I prefer going to my favorite deserted mountain roads and going way over the speed limit or going to a track day.

Thanks for taking the time to write a great comparison. I will have to add a post to this thread once i have test driven both and of course when I finally purchase in a year or so.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM
bocon
Intermediate

I added a link to this thread in the BaT comments since they were discussing P car vs 360. It is a nice 360 but miles are too low and it is an auto and i don't want black (or red).
Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 PM
kfan
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FS 2016 GT4 3900 miles 95k

Looking to sell my 2016 GT4 3900 miles PM me.

i haven't been on since 2012... busy.. 2 kids later lol. someone tell me how to gain access to post a FS ad. currently not able to do so

thx.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

100% Modena 360, i'm a porsche guy for life, but let me tell you, the Modena is a heck of a car, and easy to even daily drive plus it still retains a classic analog feel (try to get a gated manual) the lines of the modena are timeless..I bought mine 4 months ago and am in love, i've tried to not love it, i've tried to see if like the newer 911GTS or a 2016 911T over it to get rid of it for a Porsche and i just couldn't get the same satisfaction. Nothing sounds like that 5 valve per cylinder Ferrari, it just screams, and the click click from the gated shifter is oh so satisfying

Maintenance isn't bad on the Modena at all, its not a 355 , belts are accessible through a hatch by taking out the seats . I bought a well driven 42,000 mile one, that had just had the belts and clutch done, put over 3,000 miles on it in 4 months with no issues so far.

Get the Modena and never look back

Mine is a 2004 manual 6speed.
Challenge Exhaust system
Daytona Seats
Fender Badges
Yellow Calipers

Doug Demuro is a 360 hater and thinks its funny to downplay the car, i use mine as a daily driver and its a very civilized car- that guy is just trying to get views from Ferrari haters...I also thought ferrari was a "douchey" car but once you drive one especially with a gated manual you will be hooked

Listen to this baby scream..

View this post on Instagram
Old 02-13-2019, 09:46 PM
bocon
Intermediate

Cool looking car and very nice sound. I still need to drive both. I may fall in love with GT4 but right now i am leaning 360. Don't really care about depreciation. I just want to enjoy the car - drive it every weekend. And it's possible you could lose more with GT4 depreciation. Hard to say.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

If I was buying one, it would be the GT4, because I am a Porsche guy. The 360 is a great car, but I much prefer the 355 in looks and sound. The 360 is more reliable with less maintenance, but I would rather have the 355. Just could never deal with the maintenance and belt services of the 355.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

Have to say that i’ve never really loved the 360 but man... yours in black looks awesome!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by bocon
I have been thinking recently about these two cars. Here is a little spreadsheet:

What are your thoughts on this comparison?
I like my 360. but don't love it.
If you can DIY fluid changes, brake maintenance and such, your yearly maintenance bill will be closer to $2000 a year, (mine is) and that includes a belt change by a certified F car mechanic every 3 - 4 years.
If you want a car with Soul / Quirks / great sound, get a 360.
If you want a clinical instrument, buy the GT4.
and then
3 years later, invert the choice and try again.

Have fun

Craig

Old 02-20-2019, 06:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S4drifter
I went to home depot when it was about to rain. I would not have done that in a Ferrari.
lol you missed out, much more frunk room in a 360 than a cayman...................
photo here of everything you need to survive a wingsuit skydive, this stuff won't fit in my 6 GT3.
Plus some beverages for after.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 PM
bocon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cgfen
I like my 360. but don't love it.
Do you love your 996 GT3? If you have driven or own GT4, do you love that? If not either of those then what (2 seat) sports car do you love?
thanks
PS Interesting avatar.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:17 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cgfen
lol you missed out, much more frunk room in a 360 than a cayman...................
photo here of everything you need to survive a wingsuit skydive, this stuff won't fit in my 6 GT3.
Plus some beverages for after.
Thanks for that important qualifier! We are now aware that your comments about how great the F360 is comes from someone who thinks that wingsuit skydiving is a good idea! Whats next for you? A lambo and wingsuit canyon carving?
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Thanks for that important qualifier! We are now aware that your comments about how great the F360 is comes from someone who thinks that wingsuit skydiving is a good idea! Whats next for you? A lambo and wingsuit canyon carving?
I've been wingsuit BASEing since 99 and am considering selling the 360 for a 3 pedal Gallardo.

Cheers

Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newer GT4 vs older 360 Modena