It's here! DMS Intake runners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 04:31 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by benben01
Quick Update as of 01/21..

Went out for a short drive in 20 degree temps with limited traction.. Initial impressions are very positive. The best way to describe the power add is going from stock catted headers to DMS headers.. Remember that extra kick in the pants from 3k to redline? It's just like that.. For me, I have been approaching this build in increments with IPD and TB first, followed by DMS headers and then GT3 exhaust conversion. With the DMS runners, the incremental difference is definitely noticeable and no mid range dip in the power band before rocketing to redline. Power delivery is smooth and quick.. For the track drivers out their, 2nd gear corner exits will be really appreciated as it pulls hard to north of 7K with no let down.. In the past, pulls toward redline runs out of steam once you go north of 6K.. That's it for now.. Will shake it down some more when it's not so cold outside and the roads are clear of salt and sand..
Sounds very promising Ben, did you do a flash tune same time with the runners install or did you previously have it done?

Old 01-22-2019, 04:35 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup.. Ran with the updated tune..
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Yup.. Ran with the updated tune..
Great stuff Ben, looking forward to more feedback

Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey Ben, have you run these runners before and after on a dyno truth machine? or are your obs just seat of the pants.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:21 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Update as of 01/21..

For the track drivers out their, 2nd gear corner exits will be really appreciated as it pulls hard to north of 7K with no let down.. In the past, pulls toward redline runs out of steam once you go north of 6K..
That was the most interesting bit for sure!
Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Hey Ben, have you run these runners before and after on a dyno truth machine? or are your obs just seat of the pants.
Just seat of my pants feedback. I can assure you I am very in tuned (pardon the pun) with my car and a pretty good wrench as well. Again, I went into this on an incremental basis as mentioned before with my modifications to ensure I am getting incremental improvements with each mod. As with you, the IPD and TB were not noticeable on their own, while the race headers and GT3 exhaust conversion were noticeable....

Update as of 01/23..

Temps are better today and in the mid to upper 40s.. Went for a decent (30 miles) drive on the backroads with good number of elevation changes and corners.. Without pushing the engine to upper RPM ranges, normal spirited driving between 3-5K RPMs were smooth with no signs of hiccups. Power delivery in that range was strong and torquey. Had the opportunity to test out oncoming traffic passing (where it was legal) of slower vehicles with relative ease.

So.. Was it all worth it? For me, yes as I went into this on an incremental basis.. For those who are looking at going from stock to this stage (DMS race headers, DMS intake runners, DMS tune, GT3 exhaust and IPD/TB), it's a big price tag to swallow.. Then again, we are fortunate enough to own such a great P-car so we must be doing something right in life ... Feel free to PM me if anyone has specific questions regarding my impressions, install and etc..
Old 01-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
We did, 3 revisions and many dyno runs/tuning sessions later...

Dundon D4 Kit (top line), Dundon RaceHeaders/ProTune (middle line), Stock (bottom line)
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 869 Likes on 446 Posts

Edit. Question already answered.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Progress has begun on my set! Stockers removed. Unfortunately during the removal process I realized that the actuator controlling the flap within the IPD plenum was broken and poorly mended with some glue when the shop had done that install. Actuator arm had since broken so need to track down part number and get a replacement before moving forward.

Also want to make sure the shop had installed it in the correct position given the extra set of mounting holes on the plenum. Anyone know definitively the position in which this should be mounted? Did IPD provide install documentation?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:16 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

@benben01 Thinking ahead to the install and wondering what your order of operations was relative to getting the runnners, plenum and throttle body back in. I’m thinking the best bet is to install the right side runners, then slip the plenum and throttle body combo into place before working on the left side runner. Any pointers on how to get the fasteners into place before tightening them down without losing them to the abyss of the engine bay? Was going to see if I could find a magnetic socket.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow that’s ****ty
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

If I wasn’t doing the upgrade I would have never known!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:37 AM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SGOGT4
@benben01 Thinking ahead to the install and wondering what your order of operations was relative to getting the runnners, plenum and throttle body back in. I’m thinking the best bet is to install the right side runners, then slip the plenum and throttle body combo into place before working on the left side runner. Any pointers on how to get the fasteners into place before tightening them down without losing them to the abyss of the engine bay? Was going to see if I could find a magnetic socket.
Do this..
- Get a favorite beverage or two or three
- Get a strong telescopic magnet pen tool to drop each bolt in place and thread them (bolt) with an extension/socket/swivel by hand..
- start with installing the runner on the driver side.. the top bolt near the firewall/backseat is hard to get to and see.. hence do driver side first
- tighten the bolts from the middle runner first and work your way out to the ends... distributes torque more evenly
- install the plenum with the clamps and connect TB to the intake rubber coupling.. get them tight enough so they are stable..
- fit the "rubber band" and clamps in place on the runner for passenger side (no bolts yet).. alignment of the plenum and runner will take a bit of wiggling and possibly a few 4 letter words to get them in place
- tighten the clamps on the plenum and runner just a little (enough to get the bolt threaded)
- align the runner and drop a couple of bolts in pace to get them threaded and hand tightened
- once the alignment is good, drop all bolts and tighten everything up

BTW, do you have any oil in your plenum or runners? If so, now its' a good time to install a catch can.. Check out "d00d" install.. post #81
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9321...journal-6.html
Old 01-27-2019, 08:25 AM
morjo02
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Will the intake be compatible with other headers for example Soul Performance sports headers ?������
Old 01-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Fit I believe yes, but we will tweak some things to make them just right. 981 3.4L headers are in CAD, and the GT3 muffler will bolt to it. 987.2 is quickly after that. The plan is like this
981 GT4 complete system - done
981S/GTS, 991S/GTS complete system by end of Q119
987.2 complete system by end of Q219
987.1 complete system by end of Q319
718 GT4 is next after that, but all of those parts are essentially done, just have to test.
So 997.2 Carrea S 3.8 should work as well?

Quick Reply: It's here! DMS Intake runners...