Sponsored by: APR

Is it a good time to buy a GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:41 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Is it a good time to buy a GT4?

I have found a GT4 with a high msrp of $112K and only 3K miles. It checks all the boxes for me. I am able to purchase it below $100K. pccb, lwbs etc. CPO. Is it the right price and more importantly is it the right time to buy a GT4?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:44 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to predict but with a new one "around the corner" I'd wager to wait.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:53 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

This is a question probably covered a few times on RL already. For the most part, cars are depreciating items. So if you're speaking in terms of whether it is will hold value or increase value, probably not.

If you're asking if the GT4s have bottomed and will it be even cheaper in 6 months, who knows?

The reality though is this. If you want it, you can afford it, you won't be upset that it depreciates, you won't care that a new model will be introduced this year, and you're buying it to drive and enjoy - then it's the right time. If you have concerns with any of those, it isn't.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 AM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
I have found a GT4 with a high msrp of $112K and only 3K miles. It checks all the boxes for me. I am able to purchase it below $100K. pccb, lwbs etc. CPO. Is it the right price and more importantly is it the right time to buy a GT4?
IMO, the 981 will trade independent of the 718/982 so waiting won’t help materially. Currently, values are relatively low given: 1) priced in anticipation of 718/982, and 2) winter in the applicable states.

I think now is a solid time to buy and if you could pickup the car you referenced in the 95K range, I’d say that is a good buy.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:57 AM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Every car is configured differently. I find getting the exact spec I want in a used car like looking for a needle in a haystack. For me, if I found the exact spec I wanted, at a price I liked, I woudn't worry about a bit more depreciation in the future.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Humm. RS with PDK, GT3 with manual, convertible. What attracts you to the GT4? This may drive timing rather than the price of the car you are looking at.

< $100k seems like a solid price with a good spec.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

It's always a good time to buy a GT4 if you got the cash. Great cars.

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2019, 02:15 AM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

GT4's are awesome cars, if you find the colour you like with a nice spec, low miles, + CPO, I'd take it. Waiting around for a car that's not even released means atleast 2-3 years before you'll be able to buy one, if you're maybe on some dumb waiting list, add the high likelihood of a dealer admin. Even 2018 GT3 are being sold ~ MSRP & couple months ago sellers/stealers were trying to get high mark ups/admin fees. I was offered couple high spec GT3's for ~ MSRP & didn't bite b/c values are diminishing with the large # of cars available. I think the GT4 is a great sports car & so does EVO magazine who chose it as their car of the year in 2015 (the GT3 RS was on their short list as well).
Sure the new 718 model will be improved over the 981, & I can assure you the price will be significantly inflated as well. The 981 GT4 initially & now is great value, the new model won't be, b/c Porsche hit a home run with the GT4 & know these cars will be in high demand. Basic supply & demand economics = high price point
Old 01-08-2019, 08:02 AM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll add that given how production numbers of GT cars have looked over the last few years expect to see more 718 GT4s produced than 981 GT4s so the pool is only going to get bigger.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
Every car is configured differently. I find getting the exact spec I want in a used car like looking for a needle in a haystack. For me, if I found the exact spec I wanted, at a price I liked, I woudn't worry about a bit more depreciation in the future.
So true! If you're anything at all like me, you'll forget completely about whether you paid $15k below MSRP or 20k below, but that ugly carbon fiber interior or that nasty Guards Red paint or those PCCBs you really didn't want (yellow??? Who paints calipers yellow?) or the sofas or LWBs or whatever will bug you till you finally sell it and get what you really wanted.

In my first job I sold the expensive version of industrial manufacturing stuff and our company's slogan was "The quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten." In the world of expensive, totally unnecessary play-toy cars, it's more like "The interior configuration will be remembered long after the price is forgotten."

I paid $107k on a slightly used 102k MSRP at a time that was considered a decent but not spectacular price. I'm so much happier for the nearly 2 years of GT4 ownership at this point than I would be if I'd held off till now and could buy that car for $90k or 95k.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really tough to know what will happen with the GT4 market when the new cars come out. I doubt we will see a big depreciation hit because the GT4 is a desirable car and my guess is there are a fair number of potential buyers sitting on the sidelines right now wondering what will happen with market and what the 718 GT4 will be. I would say timing is always right if you find the right car, in the right condition and at a price that makes sense for the current market. Trying to predict the future market for a modern car is at best a wild guess in many cases. It wasn't that long ago we saw the 991.1 GT3 RS market go nuts only to correct and return to sanity. I don't buy any car thinking I will make money on them, nor do I expect to break even. I buy what I like, drive them and enjoy them. That is a recipe to an enjoyable ownership experience in my opinion.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:38 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Always a good time to buy a GT4 (don't mean to be sarcastic). Look, its a fantastic car in almost every respect. Will the new GT4, whenever it is available and whatever form it takes, be better than the current GT4? Maybe on paper and minor things in person, but it will cost $$$, as in my opinion Porsche underpriced the current GT4, so I'm sure the new version in all its glory will be in the 90's for the base price and well into $100k with the options.

In the meantime, you drive a fantastic car, with your desired spec and have loads of fun. You won't get hit too hard on depreciation. And when a newer GT4 is available you may decide that the GT4 you have is still just perfect and all you need (as I probably will).
Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 AM
Mongo84
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a good deal if car checks out. I still have dealers around me asking for over msrp on 3-7k mile cars. There may be a little more depreciation coming up but I don't see it being a drastic one saving you thousands and thousands coming up.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Sounds like a very attractive price.
I believe that the used market has already discounted the debut of the new 718 GT4.

My car was $112,000 MSRP and I paid $111,000 for it in Nov. of 2017 with 1,250 miles on it.
Came with $5,000 of wrap, tinted windows, and CPO.
Depreciation never crossed my mind.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:59 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is the way I see it. Chances are the 718 GT4 will be a little better, but there isn't much to improve upon really because the current GT4 is pretty darn good. A few nuances in styling will be different and it will have ~10% more hp, which is great, but can be achieved with tuning and some mods. If money were no object, most would probably take the 718 over the 981 GT4. HOWEVER, for us mortals, will it be worth the premium? Let's face it, Porsche will increase the base MSRP by 5-7%, and because of high demand there will be DAM also. Which means even used ones will go for over MSRP for a year or two.......we've seen this play out before. So, to get a nicely optioned 718 GT4 in the next couple of years will cost you at least $120k, plus taxes, plus protective film (which seems like a must on a car like this).

With that in mind, current GT4 prices will most likely not go down a lot from where they are now, because otherwise the gap will be too big to the new one. It's all about value. If a new 718 GT4 cost $120k plus, then $90-100k is a bargain for a lightly used 981 GT4. This phenomenon is prevalent with a lot of Porsche's, especially the 911's and GT cars. The new ones go up in price, making the outgoing models not depreciate as much as buyers would hope. That is the reason I bought mine recently. I gave up on waiting for them to come down. It doesn't happen (unless they are high mileage, beaten up or have undesirable color & options)

Quick Reply: Is it a good time to buy a GT4?