Sponsored by: APR

Battery Maintainer (Charger) via 12V

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Battery Maintainer (Charger) via 12V

Just wanted to resurface this since cars are going into hibernation for a few months. I recently purchased a CTEK and of course all of the 12v sockets would go into sleep mode after 5 minutes or so. Called my service adviser and told him about Tech Bulletin W38. He read the info and said stop by when you can and let's give it a try. After 20 minutes or so he drives back up and said "you're good to go". Got home a few hours later and bingo.....working as advertised. When researching the issue I ran across all sorts of tricks to try.......I didn't waste my time trying any of them. Just make a stop by your local dealership and get the 12v sockets coded with a quick software upgrade. Hope this helps clear this up for some............Phil
Old 12-22-2018, 08:53 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 517 Likes on 195 Posts

Mine had the same issue. I had already prepped it to be put it away for the winter so I didn't want to go back to the dealer. I tried all of the tricks on this forum to get it to work but without success. I just used alligator clamps directly to the battery terminal and it's been perfect (and easy). The dealer did acknowledge the Tech Bulletin when I called them about it and had the car not already been in the garage and stored, I would have taken it in too.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
Just wanted to resurface this since cars are going into hibernation for a few months. I recently purchased a CTEK and of course all of the 12v sockets would go into sleep mode after 5 minutes or so. Called my service adviser and told him about Tech Bulletin W38. He read the info and said stop by when you can and let's give it a try. After 20 minutes or so he drives back up and said "you're good to go". Got home a few hours later and bingo.....working as advertised. When researching the issue I ran across all sorts of tricks to try.......I didn't waste my time trying any of them. Just make a stop by your local dealership and get the 12v sockets coded with a quick software upgrade. Hope this helps clear this up for some............Phil
I ended up installing the pigtail connector on the battery. Next time I have the car in for service, I’ll ask for the W38 update. When you run the CTEK cable out of the car interior, do you leave a window slightly ajar, or just close the door on the cable?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:39 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

paradocs98, I personally leave the window slightly open so it doesn't crimp the wire. I don't lock the car, though, as I haven't experimented if the car does not like to be locked with a window open. Maybe I'll try to do that and see if I get some kind of issue or alarm. Probably doesn't matter. I'm really loving the WG38 upgrade I got at the dealer almost a year ago!
Old 12-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98

I ended up installing the pigtail connector on the battery. Next time I have the car in for service, I’ll ask for the W38 update. When you run the CTEK cable out of the car interior, do you leave a window slightly ajar, or just close the door on the cable?
The cable is small and flat enough to close the door. I've even closed the door and pulled the cable to make sure it wasn't crimped.....no problem at all............Phil
Old 12-22-2018, 08:33 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 9elheven
paradocs98, I personally leave the window slightly open so it doesn't crimp the wire. I don't lock the car, though, as I haven't experimented if the car does not like to be locked with a window open. Maybe I'll try to do that and see if I get some kind of issue or alarm. Probably doesn't matter. I'm really loving the WG38 upgrade I got at the dealer almost a year ago!
Thanks. I connect to the battery pigtail in the frunk, and leave the hood ajar and lock the car. No issues or alarm.

Originally Posted by Phil T
The cable is small and flat enough to close the door. I've even closed the door and pulled the cable to make sure it wasn't crimped.....no problem at all............Phil
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:49 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i did pigtail on the battery as well, ran cord thru the gap in plastic cowl
Old 12-24-2018, 04:32 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Prior to selling my GT4 I charged my battery thru the cigarette light with no problems with a $40 Deltran charger
Old 12-24-2018, 07:14 PM
QShip
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Used to use clamps until I read cig socket works fine if you lock the car as well. Seems to be working with that approach.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 PM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98

Thanks. I connect to the battery pigtail in the frunk, and leave the hood ajar and lock the car. No issues or alarm.

Thanks.
Leave the hood ajar? Frunk light dead yet?

Why not just snake out towards windshield? That is what I do (with hood fully closed).
Old 12-26-2018, 07:03 AM
Phi19
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for my ignorance, what is the Tech Bulletin W38 ?

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer (Charger) via 12V