Sponsored by: APR

Practicality and damage fears

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:57 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Practicality and damage fears

I currently have a 987.1 Boxster. I'm contemplating getting a 718 Spyder in the future (and have a deposit down for one). The 718 Spyder seems to share its low suspension and front lip with the GT4. I'm getting cold feet after reading how people scrape (and sometimes tear off) their front lip during mundane driving, and how some have broken their shock towers after hitting hard potholes. I like to go on road trips. In an average year, spread between all my cars, I'd estimate I straddle 20 unavoidable roadkill animals (usually racoon size or smaller), hit 10 hard bumps or potholes (hard enough to give a violent jolt and bottom out shocks on an "ordinary" car), go over 500 speed bumps of varying size, and cross over a hundred entrances with approach angles over 6 degrees. I don't think I do anything particularly unusual with my cars, this is just a fact of how driving is in Ontario. Hitting hard 6+ cm) steps or potholes at speed without warning is inevitable when going on long road tips here. Same goes with driving over the occasional unavoidable racoon carcass in the middle of a busy highway that would be dangerous to swerve around. Kitchener/Waterloo road maintenance is also atrocious, and we get thousands of large deep potholes in spring that the city is slow to repair.

My 987 Boxster (stock height, non-PASM regular suspension) rarely scrapes, has enough ground clearance to not be bothered by most small roadkill, and thus far I haven't had any issues hitting potholes with it, though its exposure to such conditions has been limited since I haven't taken it on as many road trips as I'd like to. Essentially, I have minimal worries and zero real issues with practicality on my 987.

I want a sports car to be a source of joy, not a constant source of stress that I'll break it if I took it anywhere. I can live with occasional mild scraping of the front lip, but I don't want to tear off the front lip or break the front bumper cover going over a step in the highway, entering the driveway of a plaza, or going over a speed bump. I can try to take entrances and speed bumps at an angle, but it's not always convenient, and I don't want to be a hindrance to traffic (it would stress me out too). I also don't want to break my front suspension by bottoming it out when hitting the aforementioned highway steps and large potholes.

I've never tracked my 987, though I want to try some DE next year. In any case, the 718 Spyder would be 98% a street car. I want a Spyder over a regular 718 Boxster GTS because it will have a flat 6, looks cooler, and will depreciate less. However, I don't want it to be a source of stress. I'd want to drive it, not have a garage queen that I'm reluctant to take out because I'll damage it if I take it anywhere.

I do have more practical cars as daily drivers. However, I'd like to take a fun car on road trips. Road trips are where I hit 90% of the highway steps, potholes, and roadkill. A harsh ride doesn't bother me, but I worry about damage.

These are the options floating through my mind:
  1. Get a 718 Spyder, use it as is, drive the hell out of it, let it scrape, buy spare front lips, try to be slightly careful, and don't worry. I haven't read too many stories of breaking front lips or bumper covers in everyday driving here. I'm hoping my fears are overblown.
  2. Get a 718 Spyder, modify the suspension to lift it 10-20mm. If possible, maybe install a 981 Spyder front lip too.
  3. Get a 981 Spyder. Its suspension is 10mm higher, and the front lip is smaller. Drawbacks are outdated infotainment (minor), a little less power, and I won't be able to spec it out exactly the way I want (main drawback, particularly due to their rarity).
  4. Get a 718 GTS. While much faster than my 987.1 base, it won't sound as nice, and would depreciate a lot. While objectively far superior, I'm not sure if it would be any more "fun" than my 987.
  5. Keep my 987.1, and enjoy stress free driving. It's fun to drive, has plenty of ground clearance, and has existing stone chips and small scratches to further reduce stress, so I don't fear parking it anywhere.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

If potholes are a thing, then I would say no to a Spyder. The roads I can remember in Canada were pretty crappy.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 443 Likes on 177 Posts

I vote option #1.
If you have a separate daily driver, life is too short not to get the car you really want.
I also live in an area with absolutely shocking road surfaces, and I do have to make compromises as to where I can drive, but it's more than worth it when I get out onto the country/mountain roads or to the track.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:59 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

For some reason the 718 GTS sounds a lot better to me than the S and base I've heard before. And it's arguably faster than a 981 GT4 in some situations. If sound is truly your only objection to a 718 I'd take one on an extensive test drive before ruling it out.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
For some reason the 718 GTS sounds a lot better to me than the S and base I've heard before. And it's arguably faster than a 981 GT4 in some situations. If sound is truly your only objection to a 718 I'd take one on an extensive test drive before ruling it out.
Out and out faster would be situational but for a dialy driver I think that little turbo 4 power plant does a better job around town. I still don't want one but after driving a loaner 718 S around for a day the additional torque down low makes it easier to live with in the stop light gran prix. I'd also point out that splitter is plastic and easily replaceable. I don't fret much about it rubbing a little on occasion.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Maybe look around for a CPO 718 GTS.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Good to know. I’ve never driven a 718 GTS, just a base 718. I didn’t think it sounded bad actually, just not as exciting as a flat 6 over 5k RPM. The handling was great and definitely a major upgrade over my 987. The 718 I tried definitely had better (less rubbery feeling) steering than the 981 Boxster I tried a different time.

I do like the look of the Spyder’s top and rear (though it is less practical). I can put up with a manual top. I also like the GT style front bumper cover design. It being the only six cylinder mid engine Porsche convertible, and arguably the prettiest in the lineup also helps. I want the Spyder. I just worry about damaging it on our roads. I’ve seen a bunch of GT4s on the road in Ontario, including in mundane places like grocery store parking lots with lots of speed bumps.

I don’t plan on taking the Spyder to grocery stores, just back roads, occasional trips to work, maybe one or two fun road trips per year. Our roads are no worse than north-eastern US. I sometimes drive from here to Boston or New York City. I’m sure there are plenty of owners in the northeast of the US on this board, if not enough Ontarians. For those who driver similar distances in similar regions, have you had issues? Avoiding roadkill/potholes/steps in the road can be difficult at times, particularly when driving in rain at night (which happens routinely on road trips).
Old 11-08-2018, 11:54 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove the Spyder everywhere. Even beautiful GA mountain roads and never scraped anything till I put the GT4 front spoiler on. Love the looks a lot but now I scrape everywhere. What do I do? Don't care. Easy and cheap to replace whenever you feel like. Heck I even scraped just driving spiritedly over a little dip in the road in the mountains.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I view lips as disposable items. You might be able to source outside of Porsche for cheaper, but chances are that you’ll go thru a few. Be careful with it but you’ll want to replace it at some point.

Good news is is that that it’s designed to be disposable. I went through a ton on my old turbo. I’d have them painted too - sometimes they’d last be 3 weeks sometimes 2years, but they’re easy to replace.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I view lips as disposable items. You might be able to source outside of Porsche for cheaper, but chances are that you’ll go thru a few. Be careful with it but you’ll want to replace it at some point.

Good news is is that that it’s designed to be disposable. I went through a ton on my old turbo. I’d have them painted too - sometimes they’d last be 3 weeks sometimes 2years, but they’re easy to replace.
I can live with scraping and replacing the front spoiler as needed. I just don’t want to break the bumper cover. I know the spoiler is attached to the plastic bumper cover by screws and plastic tabs. In the event of the spoiler hitting or getting caught on something, does the spoiler come off cleanly, or does it tend to break the bumper cover with it? I fear the screw threads may get stripped, or worse, it may crack the bumper cover, requiring the repair or replacement of a large expensive painted part rather than just the lip.

Also, if I hit too sleep an entrance (common in plazas), first the spoiler will scrape, but then the bumper cover would be pushed up by spoiler, and it would try lifting the car through the bumper cover. This may break the plastic bumper cover again. Has this ever happened to anyone, or does this generally not happen in practice?
Old 11-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The tabs on the bumper will break. I broke mine. When that happens you need a new bumper cover, lip and a good shop to paint and install the new nose. They must have moved the IMS team to body panels.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:01 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The tabs on the bumper will break. I broke mine. When that happens you need a new bumper cover, lip and a good shop to paint and install the new nose. They must have moved the IMS team to body panels.
Sounds like I’ll be doing a 10mm lift and/or custom front lip then to reduce the headache. Hopefully 981 Spyder front lips can be made to fit. If not, probably the easiest/cheapest way to make smaller front spoilers in low volume would be to buy normal spoilers, then machine 5-10 mm of plastic off the bottom to make the front less low. Blasphemy
Old 11-09-2018, 07:47 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Interesting thread. I also have a deposit down on a 718 Spyder, and live in the Northeast. Similarly, I'm at wondering if I should go through with it. I love the way the Spyder looks, but from seeing the ones for sale/reading threads it seems like most of them spend a lot of time in the garage not being driven, which makes me wonder if mine wouldn't be the same. There's something liberating about just driving a car without stressing out too much.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:35 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock Spyder front lip doesn't scrape. It's somehow just right. Gt4 spoiler not so much. I only have 10.6k miles on my car but they have been spirited driving miles and 4 track days and a bunch of mountain runs. It will be 3 years in March. I drive it reaosnably hard when I can. I consider it a waste for such a machine to be babied and garage queened. But to each their own!
Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 PM
ggkthx
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily drive my GT4 in Georgia... this includes highways, Atlanta city driving, and all the north GA mountains. I also drive through the mountains pretty aggressively as it's been my stomping grounds for years. Moral of the story, I haven't had any issues with scraping as long as I drive with common sense. Oh, and forgot to mention I'm lowered on stock suspension.

In the worst case scenario, the center section of the front lip is about $300, new and OEM. It's easy to replace too... don't let scrapes on a $300 lip stress you out. The car gives way too much joy to get the small stuff get in the way!

Quick Reply: Practicality and damage fears