Sponsored by: APR

Practicality and damage fears

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:01 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ggkthx
I daily drive my GT4 in Georgia... this includes highways, Atlanta city driving, and all the north GA mountains. I also drive through the mountains pretty aggressively as it's been my stomping grounds for years. Moral of the story, I haven't had any issues with scraping as long as I drive with common sense. Oh, and forgot to mention I'm lowered on stock suspension.

In the worst case scenario, the center section of the front lip is about $300, new and OEM. It's easy to replace too... don't let scrapes on a $300 lip stress you out. The car gives way too much joy to get the small stuff get in the way!
Thanks for sharing positive experiences. Knowing that you are able to daily drive it even when lowered is encouraging. I see many GT4s on the roads here, even in grocery stores (except in winter of course), so they can’t be that bad. I’ve even seen people with lowered GT3RSs with something like 60-70mm ground clearance at the front lip, though I don’t know how they can survive, and usually don’t seem them at grocery stores.

I’m careful with parking curbs already, since my BMW’s front is only 130mm off the ground, and some curbs could damage my. 987 too. Taking steep driveways and entrances at an angle is fine with me. Occasionally replacing the $300 lip wouldn’t bother me. I’m already careful when it comes to parking curbs. I just wouldn’t want to break the plastic bumper cover itself in normal driving (eg. straddling over small roadkill, occasionally hitting typical southern Ontario potholes, or steps on roads under construction). I try to be careful, but sometimes I hit such things, particularly when driving at night and/or in rain.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:10 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ggkthx
I daily drive my GT4 in Georgia... this includes highways, Atlanta city driving, and all the north GA mountains. I also drive through the mountains pretty aggressively as it's been my stomping grounds for years. Moral of the story, I haven't had any issues with scraping as long as I drive with common sense. Oh, and forgot to mention I'm lowered on stock suspension.

In the worst case scenario, the center section of the front lip is about $300, new and OEM. It's easy to replace too... don't let scrapes on a $300 lip stress you out. The car gives way too much joy to get the small stuff get in the way!
I could have written this exact email in every way.

I did have some scraping on the underside of my lowered Turbo bottoming out on a few mountain roads with a big dip at the end of a descent leading into a climb. But even that did no damage to anything. Just scarred up the underside of the plastic apron. And the GT4 (stock suspension, stock height) hasn't scraped on those same roads.

Quick Reply: Practicality and damage fears