Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

2016 Cayman GT4 -> GT4RS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the cost of that lift system? I checked their website and no info is posted...
Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn996
What is the cost of that lift system? I checked their website and no info is posted...
+1!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:27 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

I can get you guys quotes and Monday i can send a video. sound good?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 AM
jas49503
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
After several setbacks and a shipping mishap that sidelined us yet another month, the strongest Cayman/Boxster engine conversion we have ever executed is now complete. We owe an enormous amount of thanks to the car's owner for his patience. We have never ever ever ever had a car in our shop this for as long as this car has been here. We had a miscue with our machine shop and then UPS dropped something and then it seemed like 1 thing after another when it came to getting our parts in hand. We both began to wonder if this car would ever again be released from solitary confinement! HOWEVER, since apparently good things come to those who wait, we now have this to show for it.

We find it best to do a pre and post dyno analysis because every dyno seems to always read differently and we have to see the gains for ourselves before we release the cars to the customer. I have been going to the dyno more and more frequently with cars with standard bolt-ons because we have seen claims that you can get almost 450hp from a Cayman GT4 with an intake, exhaust and ECU upgrade but we have never been able to reproduce those numbers ourselves when we dyno them. Of the dozen GT4s we have dyno'd with different iterations of exhaust and tune combos from different tuners, they all dyno within 5 hp at or near the 365rwhp number on our Dynojet in town and this car was no different.

The blue line is how the car showed up on our doorstep with aftermarket exhaust, intake and ECU upgrades that were done prior to its arrival, none of which we were involved in selling to the owner. The red line is from today.The car is running 91 octane. The before and after peaks gains are + 80rwhp and + 40 rwlb/ft but at 7K RPM where the Cayman intake begins to starve for air, the numbers are +95rwhp and + 81rwlb/ft. These motors need to breathe and the gains are attributed to the addition of the stroke increase to 4.0L, a further bore increase to 4.25L, the addition of the X51 Power Kit with additional CNC porting and upgrading to the Cargraphic catless race manifold.

The owner was tired of the senseless GT3 bullying that occurs on race tracks across North America and we feel that we have finally leveled the playing field! Per the same 12.5% drivetrain loss number that i have used for the last 15 years, this equates to 506 hp and 383 lb/ft at the crank. At the moment the engine is still relatively new and we therefore did not opt to spin the car over 7600 RPM. When it's broken in and in the hands of the owner, it will be pushed further.
How much do you think that the X51 Power Kit add to the improvements? It is my understanding that the DeMann engine doesn't use that, but seems to have to similar gains. Also, those fenders look awesome but do they have any function? I have a personal hang up about not putting things on my car which have no real function.

For the folks that have driven both GT3 and one of the modified GT4s, how do they compare? I am first on the wait list at my local dealer for the 992 GT3 and need to decide if I want to spend the additional money on a GT3, which everyone seems to say is better than a GT4, or put it towards some mods to improve the experience in my GT4.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=jas49503;15772571]How much do you think that the X51 Power Kit add to the improvements? It is my understanding that the DeMann engine doesn't use that, but seems to have to similar gains. Also, those fenders look awesome but do they have any function? I have a personal hang up about not putting things on my car which have no real function.

I found the X51 heads and cams added quite a bit when the tune was sorted but we also found that the X51 intake plenum actually detracted from performance so I developed the car without out; just an IPD plus 82mm TB. I am keen to try either an entire GT3 intake system, new GT4 Clubsport system or just add Dundon runers......see my detailed thread on the development to date including standardised dyno runs.

I reckon my GT4 runs a genuine 440-450 BHP at the crank and it's fast for sure and I love the compact interior. I also have a 991.2 GT3 and that is quite a bit more powerful and exciting to drive. Having said that I'm keeping my GT4 as my track rat.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:09 PM
amsu
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping an old thread, but I think this car is for sale here:

https://www.celebritycars.com/detail...8gk192097.html

In case anyone is interested...
The following users liked this post:
Toothengineer (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:13 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by amsu
Bumping an old thread, but I think this car is for sale here:

https://www.celebritycars.com/detail...8gk192097.html

In case anyone is interested...
I was looking at this car and this thread this weekend; wondering if this car or a new gt4 would be better at the track....... or wait for a gt4rs (if can find one).
Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 677 Posts

Hard to get good information from the dealership. Mismatched rotors. Missing prior wheels. Wrap doesn't add value, but can hide sins. Hard to roll the dice at 117k for someone else's modifications.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 04-19-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:23 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
I was looking at this car and this thread this weekend; wondering if this car or a new gt4 would be better at the track....... or wait for a gt4rs (if can find one).
gt4 all day long. Always hard to know if a car was built and setup right, unless you or someone you know did it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 38D:
porscheflat6 (04-19-2021), Toothengineer (04-21-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:56 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

After several setbacks and a shipping mishap that sidelined us yet another month, the strongest Cayman/Boxster engine conversion we have ever executed is now complete. We owe an enormous amount of thanks to the car's owner for his patience. We have never ever ever ever had a car in our shop this for as long as this car has been here. We had a miscue with our machine shop and then UPS dropped something and then it seemed like 1 thing after another when it came to getting our parts in hand. We both began to wonder if this car would ever again be released from solitary confinement! HOWEVER, since apparently good things come to those who wait, we now have this to show for it.

We find it best to do a pre and post dyno analysis because every dyno seems to always read differently and we have to see the gains for ourselves before we release the cars to the customer. I have been going to the dyno more and more frequently with cars with standard bolt-ons because we have seen claims that you can get almost 450hp from a Cayman GT4 with an intake, exhaust and ECU upgrade but we have never been able to reproduce those numbers ourselves when we dyno them. Of the dozen GT4s we have dyno'd with different iterations of exhaust and tune combos from different tuners, they all dyno within 5 hp at or near the 365rwhp number on our Dynojet in town and this car was no different.

The blue line is how the car showed up on our doorstep with aftermarket exhaust, intake and ECU upgrades that were done prior to its arrival, none of which we were involved in selling to the owner. The red line is from today.The car is running 91 octane. The before and after peaks gains are + 80rwhp and + 40 rwlb/ft but at 7K RPM where the Cayman intake begins to starve for air, the numbers are +95rwhp and + 81rwlb/ft. These motors need to breathe and the gains are attributed to the addition of the stroke increase to 4.0L, a further bore increase to 4.25L, the addition of the X51 Power Kit with additional CNC porting and upgrading to the Cargraphic catless race manifold.

The owner was tired of the senseless GT3 bullying that occurs on race tracks across North America and we feel that we have finally leveled the playing field! Per the same 12.5% drivetrain loss number that i have used for the last 15 years, this equates to 506 hp and 383 lb/ft at the crank. At the moment the engine is still relatively new and we therefore did not opt to spin the car over 7600 RPM. When it's broken in and in the hands of the owner, it will be pushed further.
amazing results!
Old 09-17-2021, 08:57 PM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Just sold again, this time on PCar, for $125,000 + $5000. Oddly, it sold as a 4.0 although the dyno chart above identifies it as a 4.25.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:35 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by bldn10
Just sold again, this time on PCar, for $125,000 + $5000. Oddly, it sold as a 4.0 although the dyno chart above identifies it as a 4.25.
Did you get the reply to my PM? Do you have a link to the P Car sale? Also, the gold car is for sale too!
Old 06-11-2022, 04:50 AM
Hello4
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the new caretaker of this awesome machine. Loving every minute of it. This thread has been extremely helpful, thanks for building the car of my dreams!
bldn10 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 11:45 AM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Forgive me for going off on a tangent and asking a stupid question to boot, but I wanted to ask whether the beginning of air starvation at 7k is endemic to the 981GT4 or is it affected by your mods? If it’s the former, that would seem to have implications for shift points. It would also be consistent with several dyno graphs I have seen. Thanks.
RobC4sX51 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 12:21 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 354 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Cobb
Forgive me for going off on a tangent and asking a stupid question to boot, but I wanted to ask whether the beginning of air starvation at 7k is endemic to the 981GT4 or is it affected by your mods? If it’s the former, that would seem to have implications for shift points. It would also be consistent with several dyno graphs I have seen. Thanks.
7K starvation is due to the actual stock Cayman Intake manifold.. specifically the intake runners which are sized for low and mid range torque, but cannot flow enough volume for HP at very high revs.
Intake system upgrade such as the X51 Manifold, the 718 Clubsport Intake Manifold or Dundon Intake Runners.. de-restrict, and can flow much much more volume overall.
With these you can rev the engine right out and power will continue to increase, rather than the feeling of need to still shift some way shorter with the OEM intake manifold.
Jim Cobb (06-15-2022)

Quick Reply: 2016 Cayman GT4 -> GT4RS Conversion