Max downforce mode?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Max downforce mode?

Hey Everyone,
Thinking about making some changes over the winter and wanted to hear feedback from folks running without the front aero blocks and the wing set to the higher angle. Did you notice a big difference in feel or handling with the different aero settings? Significantly more drag on the straights? Is the extra angle on the wing super annoying as far as rear visibility? Anyone then go to taller wing uprights and canards able to compare?
TIA!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

The jury is still out. You might check out this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1084...ng-height.html
Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Hey Everyone,
Thinking about making some changes over the winter and wanted to hear feedback from folks running without the front aero blocks and the wing set to the higher angle. Did you notice a big difference in feel or handling with the different aero settings? Significantly more drag on the straights? Is the extra angle on the wing super annoying as far as rear visibility? Anyone then go to taller wing uprights and canards able to compare?
TIA!
I don’t know anything about the science or theoretical aspects of this, but I will share my experiences and impressions. After adjusting the spoiler, although I appeared to lose 3-4 mph in top speed on the back straight at Road Atlanta, my laptime fell off by a second or so, perhaps only because, psychologically, I felt more comfortable taking faster turns,including the infamous T 12, faster. Or it could obviously be that the spoiler helped mechanically in that respect. I also sensed more stability under heavy braking. I don’t switch the angle back after going to the track, and I have noticed a decrease in my mpg, fwiw. Hope this will be helpful, but while you may want more anecdotal evidence, you could always just try it and see. It is not a big job to reverse. Also, in my experience, the slightly increased elevation of the spoiler is not detectable in the rear view.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I have definitely felt a difference without the front aero blocks and the wing set to the higher angle, better high speed corner stability.
Put it back recently and prefer it with blocks out and higher wing angle.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Sweet, thanks for all your feedback! Not having had a car that makes actual df before I really just focused on suspension/alignment tweaks up till now but have been thinking a little more stability and stick through some of the faster sweepers would be nice....

Quick Reply: Max downforce mode?