Verus Engineering - Carbon Fiber Dual Dive Planes / Canards

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Verus Engineering - Carbon Fiber Dual Dive Planes / Canards

Verus Engineering Dual Element Dive Planes / Canards

The Verus Engineering Carbon Fiber Dual Dive Planes fit the 981 GT4. These are manufactured using 2x2 twill pre-preg carbon fiber which is then autoclave cured for super strength to weight properties (also known as dry carbon). The dive planes improve the overall performance of the GT4 by shifting aero balance forward and increasing downforce. The GT4 already has an issue with the splitter/air dam on the street with rubbing or hitting the ground. These dive planes will help add a little more front downforce and shift aero balance forward without affecting drivability on the street.

At 120mph:
90lbs of downforce
17lbs of drag

Price : $679.95

Link to product page

Dive planes are placed far forward on the car which creates a moment around the center of gravity. This moment means that the dive planes do not have to create a large force to shift the aerodynamic balance forward.

Moment Caused by Dive Planes

Most dive planes have a very high angle of attack compared to wings. Dive planes are slender low aspect wings. Vortices form on the outside of the dive plane which helps keep the flow attached. The location of the dive planes on the vehicle helps keep the flow attached as well. The dive planes are located on the outside of the front bumper where the velocity is higher than free stream flow (velocity in this area is higher than the velocity that the vehicle is traveling).

Vortex formation from dive planes

A unique goal we set out to achieve with our dive planes was directing more airflow to the engine inlet ducts. Directing more air to the engine inlet ducts allows the engine to breathe easier by creating high pressure in front of the duct. This greater pressure gradient forces more air into the engine (ram air like effect).

Vortex feeding Engine Inlet

Streamlines around the car

The dive planes are very easy to install. We send templates with the dive planes to ensure they are installed in the proper location and angle. Instructions are on our website and we even have an install video on our youtube channel. These can be installed with double sided 3m tape (specifically cut for the dive planes) that requires NO drilling. We also send hardware to bolt them to the bumper (recommended for heavy use).

Hardware / 3M Tape

Templates

If you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-12-2018, 03:07 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

I would like to add the install video to the thread to show how easy these are to install

Old 10-13-2018, 03:15 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Very cool! Is there a diffuser and wing in the works too!?
Old 10-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ajw45
Yes, both are in the processes of being completed. I have CAD teaser of the diffuser. It is carbon fiber with powdercoated black sheet aluminum brackets. It will bolt up with NO modifications needed to the car.

Diffuser CAD

The wing will also not require modification to the car. The new uprights will bolt to where the factory uprights mount. The new mounts will go to our swan neck mounted wing. We have a prototype on the car now and I will get some pictures to post.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ajw45
Here are the wing pictures. Prototypes as the final production parts will have black mounts and brackets.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:57 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Will the diffuser bolt up underneath the stock diffuser or does it replace it?
Old 10-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Happy to have helped with the GT4 goodies and excited to get them on our GT4!
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-15-2018, 05:23 AM
Phi19
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have few questions:
- Do you have a comparison of vortex airflow without the dive planes?
- What is the added value of dual dive planes vs single dive plane system?
- Do you also make them in gloss CF finish?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by khoahtran
Will the diffuser bolt up underneath the stock diffuser or does it replace it?
Well first, I want to clear something up. The stock "diffuser" isn't really a diffuser. It is called one, but it does not actually function like one. It is more of a rear bottom cover to the bumper. This is a pretty misconception because of how the parts are named.

Our diffuser is a motorsports diffuser that performs like it. It bolts up underneath it to actually answer your question.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Phi19
I have few questions:
- Do you have a comparison of vortex airflow without the dive planes?
- What is the added value of dual dive planes vs single dive plane system?
- Do you also make them in gloss CF finish?
1. Do you have a comparison of vortex airflow without the dive planes?
Yes, I just made the pictures this morning. I described it in the image so if you have questions on the image, let me know. I can try and make it more clear.

2. What is the added value of dual dive planes vs single dive plane system?
The main benefit of the dual over single is controlling the vortices better. The angles of the dive plane are very specific to each other to control the vortices and improve downstream flow to the engine inlet ducts. This increased pressure to the duct which will improve engine inlet flow. Another benefit with controlling the vortices is the drag penalty isn't as high as it would be with a single we would design. The last benefit is a little-added downforce. From 1 dive plane to dual on one side does not just double downforce. It is more of a 25% gain over a single. However, the overall efficiency goes up a lot since downforce increases and drag will decrease over a single unit.

*We do not know how other companies dive planes perform and we won't speculate*

3. Do you also make them in gloss CF finish?
No, we only do one finish to keep stock and cost down as a business. We questioned many Porsche owners before deciding on a finish and most wanted it matte.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Phi19
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Dear Paul,

Top answer and very clear pictures, as an engineer that talks to me You definitely make me very interested as I am keen on getting improved airflow into the engine inlet ducts because that helps a lot for the engine breathing and power efficiency. Thanks to you I am now convinced about the real added value of the dive-planes which I did not understand before.

As you said the little added downforce on the front is anecdotic IMO, this aspect can also be improved by removing the front OEM flaps. I will be also interested in following-up the development of your rear diffuser as you answered and confirmed as well my assumption that the current OEM diffuser is not functional but rather aesthetic. Apparently this point will change on the 718 GT4 diffuser...

About the Mega wing you are developing, I have no doubt that you will get a massive increase of downforce on the rear, but I wonder how you will balance that with the front which will likely need more downforce as well in order not to get too much understeer?

Congrats for your great job on this topic.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

wow, super cheap....
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Dear Paul,

Top answer and very clear pictures, as an engineer that talks to me You definitely make me very interested as I am keen on getting improved airflow into the engine inlet ducts because that helps a lot for the engine breathing and power efficiency. Thanks to you I am now convinced about the real added value of the dive-planes which I did not understand before.

As you said the little added downforce on the front is anecdotic IMO, this aspect can also be improved by removing the front OEM flaps. I will be also interested in following-up the development of your rear diffuser as you answered and confirmed as well my assumption that the current OEM diffuser is not functional but rather aesthetic. Apparently this point will change on the 718 GT4 diffuser...

About the Mega wing you are developing, I have no doubt that you will get a massive increase of downforce on the rear, but I wonder how you will balance that with the front which will likely need more downforce as well in order not to get too much understeer?

Congrats for your great job on this topic.
We are hoping to have diffuser soon but had a little issue with the manufacturing that set us back. We are working through that now. The rear wing definitely makes very good downforce. We are actually taking it to the local wind tunnel here soon to correlate with our CFD more to better refine CAE setups. To balance out the downforce from the rear, we have a pretty awesome front splitter being manufactured. Tooling is being made currently, but it will be the last part to be released. The front splitter setup will have an air dam, main plane splitter, 2 large front diffusers, and all the brackets needed. The picture below is the CAD picture of the setup.

The CFD image shows the coefficient of pressure plot on the bottom side. The purple is the lowest pressure along with dark blue. Grey is neutral while red and yellow are high pressure. The lines show the oil flow on the surface (shear stress vectors).
Old 10-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Phi19
Intermediate

With the overall concept, I fully understand and I must say that I am very interested and impressed.
Do I understand correctly that the highest pressure area to control are located from the front wheel wells? Then the best way to master and solve that, wouldn't it be to use fenders and NACA like on the GT3RS?
I will PM you for the dive planes...
Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

With the overall concept, I fully understand and I must say that I am very interested and impressed.
Do I understand correctly that the highest pressure area to control are located from the front wheel wells? Then the best way to master and solve that, wouldn't it be to use fenders and NACA like on the GT3RS?
I will PM you for the dive planes...
I think what you are talking about is actually the OEM brake cooling duct. That is the red part in the wheel well. Not really much that can be done with that if you want brake cooling to stay intact unless going to a different cooling system like the NACA on the GT3RS. This high pressure doesn't cause too much drag as the air is venting out the wheels. This is also helped with the dive planes. Awesome, look forward to the PM!

Quick Reply: Verus Engineering - Carbon Fiber Dual Dive Planes / Canards