Sponsored by: APR

Verus Engineering - Carbon Fiber Dual Dive Planes / Canards

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:43 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I was referring to your comment in post # 18, "Does this make sense? If not, I can break it down further with a table or graph.".

You had said that about 20 lbs of downforce comes directly from the pressure on the canards and the other 70 due the vortices formed by the canards. I would assume this extra downforce pushes down on the car sort of as a whole, or a little more toward the rear of the car. I guess my real question is: what is the breakdown of the downforce added to each the front and rear of the car by the canards. Thank you in advance for your comments.
Ahhh okay, sorry for the confusion. I can currently gather that data with how it changes the forces front and rear on our full kit. I will run another analysis with them on the stock wing though to gather more data for you.

Originally Posted by Yargk
How do the dive planes affect the downforce generated by the stock wing? How much further does the center of downforce move forward?
I will have to run an analysis to calculate this properly. I have only run the dive planes with our rear wing. Each analysis takes about 12 hours so probably won't have this data until Monday or Tuesday as CFD for another project is already up and running.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
You had said that about 20 lbs of downforce comes directly from the pressure on the canards and the other 70 due the vortices formed by the canards. I would assume this extra downforce pushes down on the car sort of as a whole, or a little more toward the rear of the car. I guess my real question is: what is the breakdown of the downforce added to each the front and rear of the car by the canards. Thank you in advance for your comments.
Does that mean that each of the 4 canards is providing (or experiencing) downforce of ~5 lbs each (for a combined total of 20 lbs of "localized" downforce up front)?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gearFX
Does that mean that each of the 4 canards is providing (or experiencing) downforce of ~5 lbs each (for a combined total of 20 lbs of "localized" downforce up front)?
Correct. I will get exacts on the top and the bottom canards. Most of the rest of the downforce (70lbs) comes from decreasing front wheel well pressure, but I will get better data specifically for this.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Verus-Paul
Ahhh okay, sorry for the confusion. I can currently gather that data with how it changes the forces front and rear on our full kit. I will run another analysis with them on the stock wing though to gather more data for you.

I will have to run an analysis to calculate this properly. I have only run the dive planes with our rear wing. Each analysis takes about 12 hours so probably won't have this data until Monday or Tuesday as CFD for another project is already up and running.
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Yargk
Thanks!
Alright, finished the analysis.

The dive planes shift the aero balance (center of pressure) location 121.7mm more forward on the factory car. which is around 5% more forward. This is pretty significant and would fix any understeering you might feel with the wing risers or gurneys.

One other interesting fact I noticed on this is that the dive planes increased the efficiency of the rear wing. It increased the downforce and decreased the drag a little bit for a total of a 1.4 point increase in L/D.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 PM
911tac
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Will the 3M adhesive mount work on a 3M Xpel clear bra and be durable?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:33 PM
JPR
Racer

Paul, wanted to applaud you efforts on the engineering of these products you are offering and the thoroughness with which you have detailed their implementation.

In light of the rebalancing of the car's center of gravity with the canards, should your splitter/diffuser parts be viewed as something that should be implemented in concert at the risk of unbalancing the car if you would, say, install the diffuser and canards alone?

Thanks

Jpr
Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 911tac
Will the 3M adhesive mount work on a 3M Xpel clear bra and be durable?
Honestly, I have no idea. If I had to venture a guess, I would say it would be fine as the 3M adhesive is very strong and a lot of OEM parts are held on with 3M adhesive.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JPR
Paul, wanted to applaud you efforts on the engineering of these products you are offering and the thoroughness with which you have detailed their implementation.

In light of the rebalancing of the car's center of gravity with the canards, should your splitter/diffuser parts be viewed as something that should be implemented in concert at the risk of unbalancing the car if you would, say, install the diffuser and canards alone?

Thanks

Jpr
Thank you as we try to be very thorough with our testing and development. The parts were designed to all work together as an entire kit. The diffuser and dive planes will work very well together in unison if these are the only parts you would want. The diffuser makes more downforce than the dive planes but shifts aero balance less than the dive planes since it is closer to the center of pressure. This leads to less of a moment. We feel the dive planes and rear diffuser can be run by themselves without a major issue depending on how you like the car to handle. Also, remember that suspension can be adjusted to change overall car feel with added aero components.

The front splitter though will need some serious rear downforce to balance the car out. It was designed specifically to balance out our rear wing. That is why we will offer kits, so customers know exactly what is designed to work together. We will have 2 kits total.

Kit 1 will be diffuser, underbody panel that mounts to diffuser, and dive planes. This will give a well-balanced car and add moderate downforce. This kit will not change streetability and will increase the ability to run faster times at the track.

Kit 2 will be kit 1 plus our front splitter and rear wing. This will also give a well-balanced setup and add significant downforce. I have not seen anything out there for aero that would come close to competing with the downforce and efficiency of our this kit on a GT4.

We are offering a la carte also so people can piece together as they please.

Last edited by Verus-Paul; 10-23-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:35 AM
zsapphire7
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Cant wait to see the Kit 1 and 2 releases!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:41 AM
dfin23
Intermediate

ETA on Kit 1?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dfin23
ETA on Kit 1?
It will be sometime early next year. The front splitter will be the hold up for the whole kit. The air dam and the front diffusers require molds to be made which is very time-consuming. Right now, we have a few diffusers almost ready and wing kit will be ready very soon. The uprights are being machined as I type and the wings carbon fiber is being laid.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

We have a black Friday sale going on Friday through Monday. It is a great time to save money on the dive planes as they will never be cheaper than this.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:33 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Verus-Paul
We have a black Friday sale going on Friday through Monday. It is a great time to save money on the dive planes as they will never be cheaper than this.

Argh! I want to wait for the rear diffuser to be released as well but I'm a sucker for a deal......
Old 11-23-2018, 03:50 PM
ggkthx
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance that some of us can be early adopters and use this code to prepay for the rear diffuser?... maybe allow this to be a benefit for being an early adopter? Let me know!

Quick Reply: Verus Engineering - Carbon Fiber Dual Dive Planes / Canards