Pr3z
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 14 Posts

Man thats a good looking GT4
Old 10-16-2018, 12:24 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

At 90 pounds of downforce, how do you keep these from being ripped off the car with only 3m adhesive holding them on?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
At 90 pounds of downforce, how do you keep these from being ripped off the car with only 3m adhesive holding them on?
Fantastic question! So let me explain how this works. There is a difference between the forces directly acting on the dive planes and the total forces the dive planes directly cause.

So the dive planes make 90lbs of downforce at 120mph. This is calculated on the full car. I will run an analysis with dive planes and then without dive planes. I will then take the difference between those two runs in the z-direction (downforce) as the total downforce gained (90lbs). Now if you pull the direct force off the dive planes themselves, it is right around 15-20lbs total at 120mph (i can get exact number if curious). Most of the downforce the dive planes make are not on the dive planes themselves. It is caused by the interaction on the rest of the car. This is why controlling the vortex formation on the dive planes is so critical for efficiency.

Does this make sense? If not, I can break it down further with a table or graph.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Old 10-16-2018, 06:34 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

I just want to say this is a really cool and thorough way to present your product. I don't think I've seen anyone else with this level of airflow diagrams (apologies to any other vendor I may have missed). Bravo.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by switchface
I just want to say this is a really cool and thorough way to present your product. I don't think I've seen anyone else with this level of airflow diagrams (apologies to any other vendor I may have missed). Bravo.
Thank you! We are mostly engineers here at Verus Engineering so that is why we might do and present our products differently. We target performance as #1 goal and try to present our product and data that way.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 868 Likes on 446 Posts

A table and breakdown would be great, especially detailing where the downforce lies on the different aspects of the car. Numerous other people have added taller rear wing struts and had problems with understeer. Sounds like your dive planes would be a great solution for those folks to add the needed front downforce and balance out their cars.

If you are in the wind tunnel, do you plan to get stock readings of the car, then add the dive planes, and then other parts, and see how the various combinations work out?

Adding your dive planes in front and a simple gurney flap on the stock rear wing might be a cost effective initial aero upgrade for many people. Other parts could be added as needed to achieve further results as desired.

Again as mentioned, great write up. Thanks for taking some of the voodoo out of the downforce equation and giving us some real numbers to chew on. GT4 coming in 2019.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:01 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I just found this thread and....

It made me shop for a Cayman GT4 right now.

Please, post projected prices for the Wing, front splitter and difusser.

Thanks,
Old 10-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
A table and breakdown would be great, especially detailing where the downforce lies on the different aspects of the car. Numerous other people have added taller rear wing struts and had problems with understeer. Sounds like your dive planes would be a great solution for those folks to add the needed front downforce and balance out their cars.

If you are in the wind tunnel, do you plan to get stock readings of the car, then add the dive planes, and then other parts, and see how the various combinations work out?

Adding your dive planes in front and a simple gurney flap on the stock rear wing might be a cost effective initial aero upgrade for many people. Other parts could be added as needed to achieve further results as desired.

Again as mentioned, great write up. Thanks for taking some of the voodoo out of the downforce equation and giving us some real numbers to chew on. GT4 coming in 2019.
Are you looking for the aero balance location stock versus with where it is with our parts?

We are only wind tunnel testing our wing and using that to correlate with our CFD. The reason is, the wind tunnel local to us is only 60% so we would have to have a scaled car. All the full-scale tunnels that have rolling road are too expensive per hour. You need rolling road capabilities to acurately measure downforce with underbody parts as the tire wake effects the underbody.

It should be a great way to help balance the car if you have risers or a gurney if you think the car understeers with those additions.

Glad you enjoyed it. Aerodynamics isn't voodoo, just complicated science that requires lots of testing and not always intuitive.

Originally Posted by A/S
I just found this thread and....

It made me shop for a Cayman GT4 right now.

Please, post projected prices for the Wing, front splitter and difusser.

Thanks,
I will work on projected prices for the rest of the kit. The diffuser will be similarly priced as our 987 car, but a little more expensive. The brackets are more complex and the center diffuser is larger which raises costs and thus price to the consumer.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:23 AM
JayGT4
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn I've been waiting for canards that are actually shown to be functional instead of just for looks. Great data too guys. Any chance for a group buy for us early purchasers?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JayGT4
Damn I've been waiting for canards that are actually shown to be functional instead of just for looks. Great data too guys. Any chance for a group buy for us early purchasers?
We won't do a group buy on these. We only have done group buys to mitigate risk on large orders. The issue with that on these parts is that they required 4 molds (1 for each part) that we had to pay for before having a prototype or 1st article. The mold is a large part of the cost of the parts that are low quantity. Since we already made the molds and the parts for the prototype, we have already made the risk. If we do a group buy, we just have to sell even more before we recoupe engineering and tool cost. What we did though is try to price them competitively for this market. Sorry that we can't do a group buy but hopefully you understand why.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:00 PM
JayGT4
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Verus-Paul
We won't do a group buy on these. We only have done group buys to mitigate risk on large orders. The issue with that on these parts is that they required 4 molds (1 for each part) that we had to pay for before having a prototype or 1st article. The mold is a large part of the cost of the parts that are low quantity. Since we already made the molds and the parts for the prototype, we have already made the risk. If we do a group buy, we just have to sell even more before we recoupe engineering and tool cost. What we did though is try to price them competitively for this market. Sorry that we can't do a group buy but hopefully you understand why.
Thanks I understand. I'll be considering these anyway. Any plans to make a gloss CF version btw?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JayGT4
Thanks I understand. I'll be considering these anyway. Any plans to make a gloss CF version btw?
No plans to do gloss carbon at this moment. If there is enough interest, we might.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 AM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 868 Likes on 446 Posts

I was referring to your comment in post # 18, "Does this make sense? If not, I can break it down further with a table or graph.".

You had said that about 20 lbs of downforce comes directly from the pressure on the canards and the other 70 due the vortices formed by the canards. I would assume this extra downforce pushes down on the car sort of as a whole, or a little more toward the rear of the car. I guess my real question is: what is the breakdown of the downforce added to each the front and rear of the car by the canards. Thank you in advance for your comments.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:18 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

How do the dive planes affect the downforce generated by the stock wing? How much further does the center of downforce move forward?

Quick Reply: Verus Engineering - Carbon Fiber Dual Dive Planes / Canards