Sponsored by: APR

GT4 devaluation question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question GT4 devaluation question

Two weeks ago I'm sitting at the light right near my office and a Toyota Tundra wallops the rear of my GT4. He said he thought the light turned green Funny thing? I recognized the guy immediately as one of my patients, which I confirmed...Because the truck hit the car high, the exhaust is fine, and the hatch mechanism is fine, but the bumper cover got dented and the inner steel (?) rear beam was "intruded upon" but did its job and there is no unibody structural damage. His insurance company has been cool and will write the $11,200 check to my auto body shop, who in my opinion is the best in our entire state. The work will be better than factory. That being said, I'm concerned about what happens to the value of the car once someone sees the carfax report, whether that person is a private civilian wanting my car, or a dealer in a possible future trade.

As of now, I have no intention to sell this car as I picked it up in Germany in 2016 after having it built to my specs, and I still enjoy it. I don't think the new Caymans have the same desirable driving qualities as this car, but the new 718 GT4 might make me change my mind.

I'm allowed to solicit his insurance company to pay for "lost value" of the car, which is a nebulous thing, to say the least. I have to write a letter justifying why I think THIS CAR IN PARTICULAR has lost value. Have any of you ever had to do this? Did you feel you got what you deserved? I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:50 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course you have a diminished value claim, I don't know the specifics on what research you need to do to get started but absolutely the car will be worth less down the road due to that incident.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Here's my experience last summer:

Crunched in the back, $16,000 worth of damage...

Bottom line: wound up with $5500 of DV payment on top of $16,000 repair payment.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:05 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I would go to your local Pcar dealer and ask them for an appraisal ±the claim and have it written up as a trade for a new GT4 if possible. Whether this is correct or not Id tell the insurance co that you probably don't want the car anymore and are going to realize a financial loss as a result of the claim within the foreseeable future, and go from there.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:53 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to my wife's Macan (though I have a GT4 too)... stopped at a red light and slammed from behind. $11,000 of damage fully covered and I received a $7,500 diminished value settlement. This was after rejecting 3 initial offers that I deemed insufficient.
Here's the kicker... I went to my dealer for an "appraisal" of trade-in value and submitted to the insurance co. The insurance co claimed this was not sufficient. You will likely need to do a fair bit of research on how GT4's have traded with tarnished carfax reports. I did this and the rep at the insurance co did the same and we arrived at the above result. It will take a bit of work but don't give up. These are rare cars and it is not easy to find data on damaged ones. The insurance cos know this but will fight you. Be persistent and you will likely get a somewhat fair settlement.
Stu
Old 10-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Docfink sorry to hear about your situation but i saw this over in the 991 forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1095...lue-claim.html

Also, here's a link to DV Claims for all 50 states

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/u...-50-states.pdf

Hope you get a quick and easy resolution.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:05 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar situation a few years back with my Audi S4.. Got a $6000 DV adjustment claim and I went thru a DV appraiser who did all the research and leg work for me.. The cost ~ $400 for his services which he in turn produced a very comprehensive report. Google a DV appraiser near you.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
Two weeks ago I'm sitting at the light right near my office and a Toyota Tundra wallops the rear of my GT4. He said he thought the light turned green Funny thing? I recognized the guy immediately as one of my patients, which I confirmed...Because the truck hit the car high, the exhaust is fine, and the hatch mechanism is fine, but the bumper cover got dented and the inner steel (?) rear beam was "intruded upon" but did its job and there is no unibody structural damage. His insurance company has been cool and will write the $11,200 check to my auto body shop, who in my opinion is the best in our entire state. The work will be better than factory. That being said, I'm concerned about what happens to the value of the car once someone sees the carfax report, whether that person is a private civilian wanting my car, or a dealer in a possible future trade.

As of now, I have no intention to sell this car as I picked it up in Germany in 2016 after having it built to my specs, and I still enjoy it. I don't think the new Caymans have the same desirable driving qualities as this car, but the new 718 GT4 might make me change my mind.

I'm allowed to solicit his insurance company to pay for "lost value" of the car, which is a nebulous thing, to say the least. I have to write a letter justifying why I think THIS CAR IN PARTICULAR has lost value. Have any of you ever had to do this? Did you feel you got what you deserved? I'd appreciate any advice.
Been there and done that. I hired a private appraiser who came up with a number and drafted a letter for me. Paid off bigly. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

If the other guy has Nationwide prepare for a headache. The person hitting my 10 GT3 had Nationwide and they were a bunch of ******.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

Sorry to hear. Glad you’re okay and hope you are made whole financially.

Last edited by paradocs98; 10-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:18 AM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the state, you can also claim loss of use on top of DV. In states that have loss of use, they are supposed to compensate you the cost to rent an equivalent car the entire time it was in the shop.

Quick Reply: GT4 devaluation question