GT4 newbie - questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Default GT4 newbie - questions

Hey guys,

Recently bought a GT4, hope to take delivery within the next 1-2 weeks.

I've never driven one and would like the impression of other owners out there. I currently drive a GT3 (it is my 2nd). I always look at the FS ads and couldn't pass up a good deal on a great spec GT4 (from a fellow Rennlister, and great guy I might add)

I did drive a Cayman GTS at PSDS (Bama), thought it was really a good performer - still, I'd like to get some impression from others that own GT4s, and especially those that have both GT3 and GT4

Are there tunes to get more performance out of the 3.8L? Popular mods? How does it sound?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:41 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Tons of threads. Bunch of bolt on options. Headers and a tune will make a big difference. Which headers all comes down to taste. I’ve got a set of Fabspeed Sport Headers with really low mileage on them that i’m About to list. I opted to go with a cat less race set up.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Congrats on the GT4, I almost bought George's car, its gorgeous! The GT4 that I just picked up has the SP Motorsports Stage 1 performance package and it really helps to wake the car up. I'll be selling the Cargraphic Sport Headers that have been on the car since March, PM me if you're interested.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=463
Old 09-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Congratulations on the GT4. There are lots of options on modifications. For headers and tune I'd go with Dundun. I received one of their first sets. Great performance, build and material selection. Add outstanding support and you have a winner. Do a search on Dundon. I've only had positive comments from people that have driven my car.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:25 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
Congrats on the GT4, I almost bought George's car, its gorgeous! The GT4 that I just picked up has the SP Motorsports Stage 1 performance package and it really helps to wake the car up. I'll be selling the Cargraphic Sport Headers that have been on the car since March, PM me if you're interested.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=463
how does it compare to the .1 GT3?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
how does it compare to the .1 GT3?
The 997.1 GT3 with the Sharky bypass sounds better but overall the GT4 is a car I feel more confident driving fast
Old 09-24-2018, 11:24 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

The 997.1 GT3 with the Sharky bypass sounds better but overall the GT4 is a car I feel more confident driving fast
due to balance?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:59 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

due to balance?
You used to own a 997.1 GT3 right and also live in SF? I had my GT3 while living in SF, what a pain in the *** haha

The GT3 feels faster in a straight line than my GT4 but overall the GT4 feels better in the corners due to the mid-engine design. I can't imagine what a GT4 would feel like with a 991 GT3 engine
Old 09-24-2018, 03:34 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

You used to own a 997.1 GT3 right and also live in SF? I had my GT3 while living in SF, what a pain in the *** haha

The GT3 feels faster in a straight line than my GT4 but overall the GT4 feels better in the corners due to the mid-engine design. I can't imagine what a GT4 would feel like with a 991 GT3 engine
yes, still have the GT3, though we did leave CA last year

agreed, I suspect the balance has to be felt - can't wait since I do think the 911 variants are very well planted

I just hope the balance is enough to offset less power. I am anxious to sit in / drive in the LWB. Also anxious to hear the sound
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

yes, still have the GT3, though we did leave CA last year

agreed, I suspect the balance has to be felt - can't wait since I do think the 911 variants are very well planted

I just hope the balance is enough to offset less power. I am anxious to sit in / drive in the LWB. Also anxious to hear the sound
Do yourself a favor an order the Dundon headers + tune and get it installed immediately, then the delta in power between the GT3 and GT4 will be negligible
Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

it sounds like the top options all have similar approaches. i went with BGB stage I mainly because they're semi-local to me and offered very much of a turnkey package. i was also impressed by their track record and their willingness to share technical data and participate in technical discussions.

i actually think you should drive it stock first, so that you can appreciate the improvements more later. i also have a 997 GT3 with Sharky exhaust and i love having both of them in my garage. the GT4 mods close the performance gap, but while the GT3 growls at first, then roars at WOT, the GT4 purrs and snarls. love em both!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by evil panda
it sounds like the top options all have similar approaches. i went with BGB stage I mainly because they're semi-local to me and offered very much of a turnkey package. i was also impressed by their track record and their willingness to share technical data and participate in technical discussions.

i actually think you should drive it stock first, so that you can appreciate the improvements more later. i also have a 997 GT3 with Sharky exhaust and i love having both of them in my garage. the GT4 mods close the performance gap, but while the GT3 growls at first, then roars at WOT, the GT4 purrs and snarls. love em both!
thank you for your impressions!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the new GT4. Bet you will love it. I went from a 997.2 GT3 to the GT4. So glad I did and I haven't looked back. To me, the GT4 is so much more fun to drive. Soon as I took delivery I took the GT4 over to Autoquest to work their magic. Definite improvement!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:25 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
Congrats on the new GT4. Bet you will love it. I went from a 997.2 GT3 to the GT4. So glad I did and I haven't looked back. To me, the GT4 is so much more fun to drive. Soon as I took delivery I took the GT4 over to Autoquest to work their magic. Definite improvement!
and got rid of your 3??? hard to fathom, GT3s have simply ruined me for ever owning a Carrera...

anxious to drive the 4 tho, and can't wait to hear what it sounds like. seems like it's a bit more quiet....which I woke like much

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 09-27-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Do yourself a favor an order the Dundon headers + tune and get it installed immediately, then the delta in power between the GT3 and GT4 will be negligible
this certainly caught my attention!

Quick Reply: GT4 newbie - questions