Sponsored by: APR

Cobb Accessport Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:59 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Cobb Accessport Questions

I did a search for this and couldn't find what I needed. So if I missed it, apologies.

Two questions regarding the Cobb.
1. Can I use the Porsche Battery Maintainer during the flash of the ECU? Will it keep the battery powered up for that?
2. Anyone keep the Cobb installed all the time? And, if so, what process did you use to cover the fuse box with it plugged into the OBDII port?

Thank you.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:10 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

You shouldn’t need the maintainer for the flash process-in all it takes less than 5 mins. I keep mine installed all the time. With the 90 degree obd2 cable, it fits fine with no modification to the fuse box cover. Hope this helps!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by polobai
You shouldn’t need the maintainer for the flash process-in all it takes less than 5 mins. I keep mine installed all the time. With the 90 degree obd2 cable, it fits fine with no modification to the fuse box cover. Hope this helps!
Thank you. Very helpful. Purchased an unmarried Cobb from a forum member and it hasn't arrived yet, so I've been reading up. This is much appreciated .
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 AM
polobai
Drifting

You got it. Let me know if I can be of any more help once you get it in.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:38 PM
ggkthx
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Cobb AP on mine, updated with the newest firmware, and don't have any way of having it automatically turn off when the car turns off. I have to shut it off manually as the OBD port stays powered on when the car is off.

Anyone know an easy way to have this auto turn off?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless things have changed, I emailed Cobb a few months back regarding this feature.. Their response was we will get to it soon...
Old 09-25-2018, 11:10 PM
polobai
Drifting

Same here-I emailed about 6 months back and got the same response. In short, I don’t see it coming unless we all keep bugging them.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:22 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the tune coded to one car, or is it possible to share a tune with another car?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 AM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dalema
Is the tune coded to one car, or is it possible to share a tune with another car?
Yes, the tune is coded specifically to that cars vin number. You cannot share a tune-the only way to get the tune coded to another vin is to have the person who created the map unlock it and assign it to another vin. Even another cobb pro tuner cannot unlock a tune from a different pro tuner from what I understand.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:37 AM
mcomet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Because the install turns on a number of fans during the procedure you are supposed to use a battery charger to maintain voltage. That said as others have mentioned the install is fairly quick. I am pretty sure Cobb just requires it in case something does happen and you fry your ECU or it stops halfway because of loss of battery so they aren't liable. Still I ordered this and just turn it on to charge mode when I flash. Plus it's nice to have anyhow. I think you would technically want something 50amps or more for install... hence this vs the porsche trickle charger.

Amazon Amazon
STANLEY BC25BS

For the more recent question someone posted... Yes and no. The tune can only be installed onto a single car at a time... So it is coded to the car, but if you do the uninstall procedure to go back to stock you can use it and apply it to a different car. I did this when I sold my Cayman 981S I just went back to stock then used the same accessport on my newer Cayman 981 GT4 after.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM
polobai
Drifting

[QUOTE=mcomet;15318416

For the more recent question someone posted... Yes and no. The tune can only be installed onto a single car at a time... So it is coded to the car, but if you do the uninstall procedure to go back to stock you can use it and apply it to a different car. I did this when I sold my Cayman 981S I just went back to stock then used the same accessport on my newer Cayman 981 GT4 after.[/QUOTE]

You are correct with installing/unmarrying the accessport from car to car-however I believe the pro tune is locked to the VIN. The off the shelf tunes will work once unmarried, however I dont believe any pro-tunes will transfer from car to car.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM
mcomet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That would make sense since Pro Tune is tied to a specific dyno run etc... I am only running OTS so far...
Old 10-01-2018, 01:09 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received the Cobb last week and took the GT4 for a long drive before installing the tune. Appreciate the advice. Was surprised to find the OBDII port is not behind the fuse panel cover, but under the dash. I guess the GT4 is different from other Caymans or my reading comprehension sucks.

Pushed the Dundon tune to the car with no issue and no battery tender connected. Install went fine. Noticeable difference in performance for sure.

Once again, thank you to those that jumped in with guidance.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:25 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
Received the Cobb last week and took the GT4 for a long drive before installing the tune. Appreciate the advice. Was surprised to find the OBDII port is not behind the fuse panel cover, but under the dash. I guess the GT4 is different from other Caymans or my reading comprehension sucks.

Pushed the Dundon tune to the car with no issue and no battery tender connected. Install went fine. Noticeable difference in performance for sure.

Once again, thank you to those that jumped in with guidance.
How long does the Dundon tune take to upload to the car?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:16 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
How long does the Dundon tune take to upload to the car?
It takes 5-7 minutes I would say. I didn't time it, so that could be off slightly. The entire process is under 10 minutes, no question.

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport Questions