Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

How much "value" does a set of LWB add to resale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, this question comes down to, how much value does blue paint add to the sale?

The seats, for the most part, determine the market. Most people want one or the other type of seat and will only be looking at those cars.

The difference in price on the otherwise identical car will be just the difference in the option price.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:23 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
IMHO, this question comes down to, how much value does blue paint add to the sale?

The seats, for the most part, determine the market. Most people want one or the other type of seat and will only be looking at those cars.

The difference in price on the otherwise identical car will be just the difference in the option price.
Totally tend to agree. If most transactions are going for, say, MSRP - $5k, then I think two $100k MSRP cars, one with LWB and one with 18s, will both tend to go for $95,000. What matters is matching the car to the buyer. A person who is not serious about tracking and doesn't hang out on the Porsche fora may very well actually see the negatives of the LWBs and want no part of them. And a person who either tracks often or just likes the racetrack feel of LWBs, or (let's be honest) reads Rennlist all the time and hears his peers harping on the LWBs -- that person wouldn't consider the car with 18s. Both people are only shopping in the universe called "GT4 with the seat option I want" and that's what informs their willingness to pay.

In the above illustration the person shopping for 18s doesn't check LWB prices and say to himself, "Well, LWB cars are going for 5k under MSRP, and this dealer is asking 5k under MSRP for a 18-way car, that's a rip-off."
Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Totally tend to agree. If most transactions are going for, say, MSRP - $5k, then I think two $100k MSRP cars, one with LWB and one with 18s, will both tend to go for $95,000. What matters is matching the car to the buyer. A person who is not serious about tracking and doesn't hang out on the Porsche fora may very well actually see the negatives of the LWBs and want no part of them. And a person who either tracks often or just likes the racetrack feel of LWBs, or (let's be honest) reads Rennlist all the time and hears his peers harping on the LWBs -- that person wouldn't consider the car with 18s. Both people are only shopping in the universe called "GT4 with the seat option I want" and that's what informs their willingness to pay.

In the above illustration the person shopping for 18s doesn't check LWB prices and say to himself, "Well, LWB cars are going for 5k under MSRP, and this dealer is asking 5k under MSRP for a 18-way car, that's a rip-off."
On average, every option save PTS will depreciate at a greater rate than LWB’s. Some would argue that the LWB’s retain their option cost. So, your example would not be true. However, condition, mileage, etc. will more influence the selling price than the difference in retained value of the seat costs.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:48 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been wondering about this. My GT4 came with sport seats so I got some leather / alcantara Recaro Pole Positions which I just love. Very supportive on track and good for long road trips as well.

I am thinking if / when I get a 718 GT4 I'd spec the sport seats again and just bring my Recaro's to the new car. Unless the LWB add more value then they cost. No doubt they look cool but I think my Recaro's are more comfortable so I'd probably want to put them in either way.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Take the GF

Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Off topic, but I've decided to stop driving the GT4 when my wife and I are going somewhere. She just does not like any type of driving that makes the car fun.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Off topic, but I've decided to stop driving the GT4 when my wife and I are going somewhere. She just does not like any type of driving that makes the car fun.
LOL, I decided that before buying the GT4. It's what led to the purchase.

I had tried buying a soft (or at least "variable intensity") 991 GTS PDK to create a Porsche Tiffany would surely enjoy riding in. Alas, though she tried and put a brave face on it, she ALWAYS preferred taking her own ML350 when we went somewhere. The GTS was a great car, don't get me wrong, but it was a compromise choice over a GT3 for me. I believed the longer wheelbase (I was driving 997TT at the time I ordered it), the pushbutton control over ride, shifting ferocity, and sound would allow me to create a 2-seat Mercedes out of it when we were together: put it in Automatic, No Sport/Sport+, no PSE. We would ooze along in cossetted comfort. By myself I'd shift manually always, run Sport+ with the loud button lit.

What I found was the Comfort setting is the worst of all worlds. She found the car still a lot more jarring and loud than she likes, and I found it a total snooze-fest and would just as soon take the Benz. Yeah, it was great when I was alone, but then I'd rather have had a GT car, and a manual.

Voila, I decided to just swap my 15 911 GTS for a 16 GT4 with a third as many miles, and just not ask her to ride in it, ever. Everybody's so much happier now!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Voila, I decided to just swap my 15 911 GTS for a 16 GT4 with a third as many miles, and just not ask her to ride in it, ever. Everybody's so much happier now!
EXACTLY! "snooze-fest" is a perfect description! I too always have Sport and Valve button on and even when it's hot, I'll drive with windows down which is 1) windy and not good for girly hair, and 2) hot.

Bringing some semblance of topic back into this - I believe with LWBs she would have opted out of even trying to put on a brave face. So, given that she's out, but I'm still in - I wish I had LWBs!
Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
Sometimes you have another pair of butt cheeks to please.
I'm only concerned with my own cheeks, thank you very much.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Let's put it this way.
I had a 987 Spyder with sofa seats. I put the sport bucket seats in instead.
I've had multiple cars with either sport bucket seats or full bucket seats. I never wished any of them had sofa seats.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:47 AM
nedgu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The lwb seats are really cool looking but you definitely have to test them out for yourself. I found them to be really uncomfortable and felt like I was hunched over too much.

That said, most buyers would probably find the lwb more desirable, but I think there is a decent sized contingent of people like me who just can’t get a car with lwb and would be specifically seeking sofas.

Quick Reply: How much "value" does a set of LWB add to resale?