Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

How much "value" does a set of LWB add to resale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 PM
RolloGigolo
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I say say leave the wife at home and take the girlfriend. Girlfriends tend to not be so picky about the seats in your sports car.

Jk
Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

My wife hates the LWBs too. I was at the shop and saw a number of takeout sofas for sale but no LWBs. Thinking I might pick up a stock passenger seat (the shop even had one from a Cayman with seat cooling!) for her. It's easier/cheaper to buy a car with LWBs and swap in a used passenger sofa than buying a pair of LWBs (pretty sure you'll never find someone selling just the drivers side) and swapping in just a drivers seat. There are better track seats than the LWBs but no better mixed use seat IMHO since it has both harness support and airbag compatibility out of the box. This weekend I did 400 miles on the highway, pulled the bottom cushion out for 2 days at the track, and then another 400 miles home in the LWBs and feel great! You could also try to put in some lumber support under the drivers side back cushion, the cushions are just upholstered foam pads velcroed to the carbon shell.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I found a trick that I find makes the LWB more comfortable. Take a foam mouse pad (or 2) and place inside\behind the back cushion of the seat. The insert is just held in place by velcro. Additionally our friends at Autoquest are installing the front riser inserts for me this week. I think adding a bit of tilt will help even more.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:43 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah...I'm one of the 'other guys'. Not a fan of the LWB's. My car has the 18 way sofas and I LOVE it. If I were buying, I'd pass on anything with LWB and go with sofas. For what it's worth, after many (many) years in BMW's and Porsche's (both myself and my wife), the 18 way sofas in my GT4 are my wife's all-time favorite seats. She does a lot of cursing when she has to jump from my car to her BMW...which also has crazy fancy gazillion-way seats.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by sigar
And, I find my buckets to be extremely comfortable. I did almost 7 hours in them last Sunday.
I have done 10+ hours in LWBs and find them very comfortable,
then again I have the base eats, 4 ways in the 997.2 and they are also very comfortable
Originally Posted by ExMB
I don't understand this thread (like all previous other similar ones on this subject). 99% of the time the wife wins out. So why even ask?

P.S.
Find a GT3 with LWBs. They are the same.
He needs data to support his argument and RL opinions count as data when selling it to the wife! LoL
Old 08-09-2018, 03:01 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

I've also done a number of 12+ hour driving days on European Delivery when I first got my GT4. I prepared myself for an uncomfortable ride, but figured it was a worthy tradeoff for how badass the seats are. I mean, just look at them!

I was overjoyed at how comfortable they were for me. I prepped my wife as well, but she loves them too (she fell asleep in the car a number of times). Buckets are wife-approved.

The 18 ways are the last seat I'd personally want, I prefer a manual forward/back slider adjustment.

Go to any dealer and you can try them for yourself to decide, since clearly everyone feels different. But I stand by what I said, I'd buy a bucket-equipped seat. If you don't like them, you can sell them for a pretty penny (e.g. Mooty's thread).
Old 08-09-2018, 04:25 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 89 Posts

I think it's personal preference. I had 2 ways and they were good enough. The LWB are cool, but I think there's enough inventory on both sides (LWB's and NON) that I don't think it increases the value much. It would only increase the value if the demand and supply were much different for one than the other. The supply increased greatly after the stop sale, so it's not a rare option.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:34 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
....... she fell asleep in the car a number of times.....

Great roads and compliant suspension.

P.S.
She looks awake in this one.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

When I was looking and bought in the spring, any car without the buckets was not considered at all, regardless of price or other spec.

Buckets were a must for me - I didn’t want to get into buying a cheaper sofa car and sourcing buckets separately.

Next to it being a GT4, buckets were the next most important item!
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

I didn't necessary care for them initially, but buckets (and even PCCBs) IMO are a needed item. The buckets are a PITA to get in and out of without a doubt, but you will figure out a way to do the "hover" and not touch the side bolsters.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM
kiger0183
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
I don't think it adds to resale over what a similar spec'd car would be with the 18-ways (which would also be expensive to acquire separately). It might make the car sell a bit quicker. I personally did not want the buckets. That said I haven't looked at sales data recently. I'd certainly imagine you would recover most of the option cost though. Would imagine demand is a bit higher for buckets on GT4.
Pending anything drastic happening I just sold my GT4 for $89,000. About $6,500 under MSRP which is about average in this market (unless you're the dude that's selling it for $20k below. Crazy). Low miles (no track miles) and in really good condition. I have 18-ways. No way I would have sold my car with LWB's for $94,000 (+$5,000 premium) as people are alluding to here. MAYBE $91-$92k. I agree with Guab. They'll sell quicker but not $5,000 more. 18 way is a $2,635 option. LWBs are close to $5k. You'll definitely get THAT difference back.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:41 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by kiger0183
Pending anything drastic happening I just sold my GT4 for $89,000. About $6,500 under MSRP which is about average in this market (unless you're the dude that's selling it for $20k below. Crazy). Low miles (no track miles) and in really good condition. I have 18-ways. No way I would have sold my car with LWB's for $94,000 (+$5,000 premium) as people are alluding to here. MAYBE $91-$92k. I agree with Guab. They'll sell quicker but not $5,000 more. 18 way is a $2,635 option. LWBs are close to $5k. You'll definitely get THAT difference back.
Congrats on the sale.

Said another way, the LWBs retain their option cost (probably only second to PTS cost) and increase desirability (for most buyers). It’s really difficult to partition out the value impact of the seats as there just isn’t a large enough sample with reliable data (comparable sales).

Unless a buyer doesn’t like the LWB’s, they are likely better to hedge their bet by getting the buckets. Plus they are just super cool.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:13 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't even entertain the thought of buying a car without lwb. Why would anyone? It's like ordering a pizza with no cheese .
Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Sometimes you have another pair of butt cheeks to please.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

Congrats on the sale.

Said another way, the LWBs retain their option cost (probably only second to PTS cost) and increase desirability (for most buyers). It’s really difficult to partition out the value impact of the seats as there just isn’t a large enough sample with reliable data (comparable sales).

Unless a buyer doesn’t like the LWB’s, they are likely better to hedge their bet by getting the buckets. Plus they are just super cool.
Yep, that's a good way of putting it! They look amazing.

Quick Reply: How much "value" does a set of LWB add to resale?