Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4 Allocation chances?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:40 PM
lukebbrickman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 GT4 Allocation chances?

Hey guys! I know a lot of you have experience with getting an allocation with Porsche, so maybe you could help me out. I've never dealt with this, as its always been unlimited runs for my cars haha.

Basically, I have read the allocations for the 718 GT4 started month ago. What are my chances that I could get one, without paying an absurd ADM. I leased a 911 S in 2010 from my premier dealer, probably doesn't help. I'm determined to get one, but is it even possible? If I perhaps made I deal that I purchase a 718 and trade it in for the GT4 order would this work?

Anyway, just looking for some options as I really want to get my hands on a 718 GT4, but not pay a over the top ADM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:32 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

From my recent Porsche experience, admittedly in Australia, just find a reasonable size dealer and put your name down and say you'll pay a $5-$10k deposit today. Porsche will definitely make a car for you....they need the cash. If your order was for say, a GT4RS it would be a different story as they still like to keep those cars in somewhat limited supply.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 535 Posts

718 GT4 has not been announced yet, so no allocations are out
Old 08-07-2018, 01:35 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 517 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
From my recent Porsche experience, admittedly in Australia, just find a reasonable size dealer and put your name down and say you'll pay a $5-$10k deposit today. Porsche will definitely make a car for you....they need the cash. If your order was for say, a GT4RS it would be a different story as they still like to keep those cars in somewhat limited supply.
I don't think it generally works like this on cars that are limited production which could include the GT4. I don't think this has been confirmed for the 718 but the 981 GT4 was limited production. The dealer where I lived had 3 allocations... you could have put down $50,000 if you wanted but if you weren't one of those 3 people, you didn't get one. If the 718 is limited production, it will be the same. My dealer suggested that will be the case and that he already has more deposits on the car than he expects to be able to actually fill.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:40 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 446 Likes on 178 Posts

There's a (long-ish) video out there on the topic of allocations and opinions about the market forces that are making it difficult to get them. I haven't tried get an allocation on a new GT car from a dealer, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by ducktails; 08-07-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Originally Posted by lukebbrickman
Basically, I have read the allocations for the 718 GT4 started month ago. What are my chances that I could get one, without paying an absurd ADM.
zero.

First of all, except for special cases (918 buyers, very repeat customers, etc), everyone is going to pay an ADM. As someone out of the blue, you can easily get an allocation, but you're going to pay for it in the form of a large ADM.

This isn't a good question for the forum. You can much more easily determine how it will go by calling your local dealers. There are unlikely to be more than 3-4 near enough to you.

You should also consider that you'd be looking at a 2 year wait.

Of course if you purchase a 718 and then trade it in, they will look very favorably on it. You will lose much more money than the ADM in that case though.

If you want this to be a useful thread, call a few dealers and report back to us!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
...everyone is going to pay an ADM....
Misinformation verboten!

Search RL and you'll find numerous instances of no ADM by 1st time buyers on GT cars.

SMH
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
zero.

First of all, except for special cases (918 buyers, very repeat customers, etc), everyone is going to pay an ADM. As someone out of the blue, you can easily get an allocation, but you're going to pay for it in the form of a large ADM.

This isn't a good question for the forum. You can much more easily determine how it will go by calling your local dealers. There are unlikely to be more than 3-4 near enough to you.

You should also consider that you'd be looking at a 2 year wait.

Of course if you purchase a 718 and then trade it in, they will look very favorably on it. You will lose much more money than the ADM in that case though.

If you want this to be a useful thread, call a few dealers and report back to us!
zero is a bold claim.
OP ask around.

I was offered a pre built gt3 at MSRP a few days ago. And it was a beautiful PTS with manual. I was nothing more than a walk in a few months ago expressing my desire to own a gt car soon. A little more than I budgeted for myself unfortunately.
Never owned a Porsche or high end car before.

The key is finding a good dealer.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:32 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

That is correct, there are confirmed dealers (in the U.S. anyway) that will be selling the 718 GT4 at @MSRP pricing

Originally Posted by ExMB
Misinformation verboten!

Search RL and you'll find numerous instances of no ADM by 1st time buyers on GT cars.

SMH
Old 08-12-2018, 05:10 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by avusm3
That is correct, there are confirmed dealers (in the U.S. anyway) that will be selling the 718 GT4 at @MSRP pricing
Screw that! I'm looking for a deep discount. Especially since it will be a turbo PDK with Auto Start/Stop.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Screw that! I'm looking for a deep discount. Especially since it will be a turbo PDK with Auto Start/Stop.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 PM
blue_bomber697
Track Day

I’m in the same boat as you OP. I’ve never owned a Porsche product before and am trying to get a 718 GT4. I’ve been on the list for a year and a half now with a $5K deposit. As far as my salesman has said, there is definitely no guarantee I’ll get one, but I stand a pretty good chance. This is mostly because of my current car situation. I currently own a 1000hp C7 Corvette that I used to road course and now only
drag race, it is entered in many competitive car shows, and I do a lot of social media with it and am active in the car community. It’s obvious I’m not a flipper, and will be using the car for what it’s meant for and that means a lot to my dealer. I may not be a previous client, but they look at what you do with your cars as they don’t want to sell cars that aren’t going to get driven. They want them seen.

Ive shows to my dealer that I am very serious about getting one of these cars and that is the best chance I have at getting one. Fingers crossed!

So as for for your chances, I would say build your case on your current car hobbies and show your salesman/dealer why you would be a good fit for the car other than the fact you have the money and can buy one. And get a deposit in ASAP of course. Allocations definitely won’t be given out till next year at some point after the reveal this fall/winter.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome blue_bomber.

Couple of things:

1) A GT4 is going to feel awfully slow to you. Just sayin. It felt slow to me coming from a 430hp 911GTS, which felt slow coming from a 997Turbo. Coming from a thousand-horse Vette will be a shock.

2) You may very well get an allocation, I dunno. But I can't imagine it will be because they care that you're going to drive it to car shows, etc. Often, the dealer's most loyal and repeat customers, the ones who buy the really big bucks Porsches and always get an allocation, hardly ever drive them. I guess there's no harm in thinking that's the key for you, but honestly, I don't think it matters to the actual decision-maker at your dealership. Feel free to park the thing in your garage and never fire it up -- why would they care? It's not like they suffer from underrepresentation on social media.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:16 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

Nope NoGaBiker, I'm not looking for a Turbo with PDK - although you could get that in a Cayman GTS right now for a nice discount. I'm more interested in a new NA flat 6...

After talking to multiple dealers the mark up policy appears to vary a lot from $10k over, to TBD at launch but >$10k, to MSRP.....lot of range out there.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM
blue_bomber697
Track Day

Welcome blue_bomber.

Couple of things:

1) A GT4 is going to feel awfully slow to you. Just sayin. It felt slow to me coming from a 430hp 911GTS, which felt slow coming from a 997Turbo. Coming from a thousand-horse Vette will be a shock.

2) You may very well get an allocation, I dunno. But I can't imagine it will be because they care that you're going to drive it to car shows, etc. Often, the dealer's most loyal and repeat customers, the ones who buy the really big bucks Porsches and always get an allocation, hardly ever drive them. I guess there's no harm in thinking that's the key for you, but honestly, I don't think it matters to the actual decision-maker at your dealership. Feel free to park the thing in your garage and never fire it up -- why would they care? It's not like they suffer from underrepresentation on social media.
I think you’d be surprised actually. Porsche has a relatively small representation on social media from what I see, and trust me, I look haha. Porsche’s (from my POV) are more reserved, people aren’t out there doing crazy stuff with them, they aren’t easily modified, they don’t sell in the numbers of Corvettes, Camaro’s, Mustangs, etc, and don’t get the attention of Supercars such as McLarens, Lambo’s, etc. They seem to be in an odd grey area which doesn’t get much social media presence. The GT3RS and GT2RS get good attention yes, but that’s mainly it. So I know my dealership does like having their owners drive their cars, advertise for the dealership, attend events and such.

As for the feeling slow part, I am aware. Unfortunately no production car short of a 720S will feel fast to me anymore. I tracked a 570S and 488GTB last weekend and both of them felt painfully slow to me. But that’s okay, I’ll slowly adjust back to it I’m sure just like I adjusted to the ever increasing power of my current car. Going fast is expensive, I’m looking for something that’s a bit cheaper modification wise where I’m not tempted to keep adding power haha. Get back into more road course stuff instead of drag racing. Then might get back into a Mid-engine C8 Z06 Corvette a couple years down the road if I want to go fast again.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Allocation chances?