Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4 Allocation chances?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Perhaps you're looking at social media from the perspective of how Mustang and Corvette buyers use it. I don't think Porsche gets (or would ever get) sales from somebody on social media showing off a Porsche. By "Porsche gets a lot of social media attention," I didn't mean bloggers talking about car shows; I meant celebrities of all sorts being seen in Porsches, races being won by them, etc. And given that any dealer could already sell way, way more GT cars than they can get allocation for, I dunno. But like I said, maybe your dealer is different than the ones I've dealt with over the years. At any rate, hope you get one if that's your desire!

Cheers.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697

I think you’d be surprised actually. Porsche has a relatively small representation on social media from what I see, and trust me, I look haha. Porsche’s (from my POV) are more reserved, people aren’t out there doing crazy stuff with them, they aren’t easily modified, they don’t sell in the numbers of Corvettes, Camaro’s, Mustangs, etc, and don’t get the attention of Supercars such as McLarens, Lambo’s, etc. They seem to be in an odd grey area which doesn’t get much social media presence. The GT3RS and GT2RS get good attention yes, but that’s mainly it. So I know my dealership does like having their owners drive their cars, advertise for the dealership, attend events and such.

As for the feeling slow part, I am aware. Unfortunately no production car short of a 720S will feel fast to me anymore. I tracked a 570S and 488GTB last weekend and both of them felt painfully slow to me. But that’s okay, I’ll slowly adjust back to it I’m sure just like I adjusted to the ever increasing power of my current car. Going fast is expensive, I’m looking for something that’s a bit cheaper modification wise where I’m not tempted to keep adding power haha. Get back into more road course stuff instead of drag racing. Then might get back into a Mid-engine C8 Z06 Corvette a couple years down the road if I want to go fast again.

??

adding 100hp to my ZR1 was dirt cheap....doing that to a NA flat 6 not so much....$30k for the BGB stage 3... and as you say, will feel "painfully slow" compared too Macca and Fiat, never mind the Vettes you were referencing.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:24 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by lukebbrickman
Hey guys! I know a lot of you have experience with getting an allocation with Porsche, so maybe you could help me out. I've never dealt with this, as its always been unlimited runs for my cars haha.

Basically, I have read the allocations for the 718 GT4 started month ago. What are my chances that I could get one, without paying an absurd ADM. I leased a 911 S in 2010 from my premier dealer, probably doesn't help. I'm determined to get one, but is it even possible? If I perhaps made I deal that I purchase a 718 and trade it in for the GT4 order would this work?

Anyway, just looking for some options as I really want to get my hands on a 718 GT4, but not pay a over the top ADM.
Visit local dealers and call those out of your area and get on list(s). You can get your first Porsche/GT4 for MSRP but it is more difficult this time around partially due to how popular the first GT4 ended up being and the expected popularly/demand for the 718 version which looks like will be hitting dealers about four years after the 981 GT4 (lots of time to build up new demand).
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 PM
blue_bomber697
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
??

adding 100hp to my ZR1 was dirt cheap....doing that to a NA flat 6 not so much....$30k for the BGB stage 3... and as you say, will feel "painfully slow" compared too Macca and Fiat, never mind the Vettes you were referencing.
I was referring basically to the fact it’s not as easy to do on these platform for that exact reason. You can’t really chase power in a GT4 like you can in a Corvette/Mustang/Camaro. There are limited parts available and you are only going to make so much power. Unlike a Corvette where there is practically unlimited mods available for it and you can just keep throwing money at it as much as you want with ease.

So on a GT4 I’d only desire to do like wheels, some carbon fiber bits maybe, and headers/exhaust and that’s it. That was the logic I was using for “cheaper to mod” haha. I’m at 840whp with my C7 and still have a wishlist of like $15K+ in mods even though I’m selling it next year. It’s never ending in that car.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:32 PM
blue_bomber697
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Perhaps you're looking at social media from the perspective of how Mustang and Corvette buyers use it. I don't think Porsche gets (or would ever get) sales from somebody on social media showing off a Porsche. By "Porsche gets a lot of social media attention," I didn't mean bloggers talking about car shows; I meant celebrities of all sorts being seen in Porsches, races being won by them, etc. And given that any dealer could already sell way, way more GT cars than they can get allocation for, I dunno. But like I said, maybe your dealer is different than the ones I've dealt with over the years. At any rate, hope you get one if that's your desire!

Cheers.
Im looking at social media from a popularity and impact POV. And my point was simply that Porsche’s aren’t “popular” vehicles (or in large quantity) on social media, and don’t have the impact of Exotics. They do very well in racing yes, but that type of racing is not very popular on social media.

And I am in no way implying they need to be popular or anything, because yes, they will never have an issue selling GT cars haha. There will always be line ups for them. Their owners just typically aren’t out shouting at the rest of the world about them online. In no way am I meaning to insult the Porsche brand, I love them, I am trying to buy one, and they are the gold standard for sports cars. Was merely making the point that they do have a relatively smaller social media presence compared to most manufacturers. I find it difficult to find good content on them on Instagram and YouTube, where you have no such issues for many other vehicles and brands.

Any other bigger Porsche YouTube channels out there? Main one I seem to follow for example is Nick Murray who just kinda vlogs with his 911.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

GT4 vrs Corvette
Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I have a funny feeling the next GT4 is going to be easier to get than people think. So many shiny pennies out there now, and more on the way. And the bull run in the economy is likely to be waning by the time they start to hit dealers.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:54 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have a funny feeling the next GT4 is going to be easier to get than people think. So many shiny pennies out there now, and more on the way. And the bull run in the economy is likely to be waning by the time they start to hit dealers.
Won't there also be the tariff?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Misinformation verboten!

Search RL and you'll find numerous instances of no ADM by 1st time buyers on GT cars.

SMH
Yep, I'm living proof of a first-time Porsche buyer getting a GT4 at MSRP... and now moving on to a 6mt PTS allocation for a GT3.....at MSRP.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697

Im looking at social media from a popularity and impact POV. And my point was simply that Porsche’s aren’t “popular” vehicles (or in large quantity) on social media, and don’t have the impact of Exotics. They do very well in racing yes, but that type of racing is not very popular on social media.

And I am in no way implying they need to be popular or anything, because yes, they will never have an issue selling GT cars haha. There will always be line ups for them. Their owners just typically aren’t out shouting at the rest of the world about them online. In no way am I meaning to insult the Porsche brand, I love them, I am trying to buy one, and they are the gold standard for sports cars. Was merely making the point that they do have a relatively smaller social media presence compared to most manufacturers. I find it difficult to find good content on them on Instagram and YouTube, where you have no such issues for many other vehicles and brands.

Any other bigger Porsche YouTube channels out there? Main one I seem to follow for example is Nick Murray who just kinda vlogs with his 911.
Obsessed garage documents quite a bit in his gt3rs. Shmee had a gt4 and now a Gt3- he does a bit with porsche. Misha Charoudin at the ring does seem to to like Porsche as well- they added a .2 3RS to their apex taxi. Targa trophy had a gt4 as well.

I think there are solid channels out there but not as prevalent as the camaro/corvette guys simply do to build quantity.

And my first porsche was a paint to sample gt4 sold to me at msrp. I’ve had two other 991’s alongside that car in the past 2/3 years ( black edition and gts).

ive got a 991.2 gt3rs on order for msrp. No funny games with my dealer. They know I don’t flip and I’m loyal.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Yup.

That 4.1% GDP number for Q2 was Fake News and stuffed with all sorts of "one-time" items.... including a surge in Govt. spending and people buying stuff from us (like Soybeans) before tariffs kicked in.The Fed will continue to raise rates. The other Central Banks in the world (ECB and BOJ) are removing the punch bowl. Our budget deficit is 5% of GDP and will be over $1 Trillion next year. Liquidity in the markets is nearly non-existent on the downside. And we've already seen some meaningful declines and downside misses in data on US manufacturing, the services sector, payrolls, construction spending, auto sales, and consumer confidence during the past two weeks. This is not a time to be complacent with your investments.

When the music stops.... where's your chair?

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 08-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Won't there also be the tariff?
I strongly doubt it, but there will be a slowing economy, higher interest rates, global instability, and just too many shiny pennies out there competing for waning demand. Now, Porsche may be factoring a slowing economy into it's production numbers, but, if not, I simply don't think it's going to be that difficult to get one in the end. Same with the Spyder. The Rennlist hype chamber notwithstanding.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

I strongly doubt it, but there will be a slowing economy, higher interest rates, global instability, and just too many shiny pennies out there competing for waning demand. Now, Porsche may be factoring a slowing economy into it's production numbers, but, if not, I simply don't think it's going to be that difficult to get one in the end. Same with the Spyder. The Rennlist hype chamber notwithstanding.
Should we discuss discounts off msrp?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I think so too. Before it was perfect storm of pent up demand, lack of supply, and only GT car in a manual.

I agree with the YouTube above ("is your dealer lying to you?") ... GT bubble is bursting, which is fine with me I want cars to be easier to obtain.

Probably will be good until they start going hybrid and/or turbo everything.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:13 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 246 Posts

It will be interesting to watch the drama unfold with allocations, deliveries and of course the economy. I will be keeping mine personally and watching from afar. It is perfect for me.

It is possible that the original GT4 created hype for the new niche segment. With the 981 I was a first time Porsche customer. I walked in to my dealer 2 weeks AFTER the car was FORMALLY announced in Feb 2015. We agreed on MSRP and I put a deposit down to secure a #6 position. In the end I think they received 10 GT4's. I asked that same dealer a couple of months ago how the 718 GT4 wait list was shaping up out of curiosity. They were already up to 12 deposits and the car is/was 9-12 months away from formal announcement. That is a lot more demand than the first time around! Or maybe it is just a lot earlier demand and it won't increase. All speculation...

And FWIW, that dealer playing it straight, and selling at MSRP, earned them a loyal customer and a second sale as I just bought a Macan GTS from them as well...

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Allocation chances?