Sponsored by: APR

GT4, DD, Sport Cup 2 and winter

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:40 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
The other, more worrying example was with the same conditions, I could easily spin the tires in a 'spirited' straight-line acceleration in 3rd gear. And I don't mean red-line second to hard-shift third. I mean in third at 3K, gun it, and major wheel spin and rear-end wagging. I only did it twice. First time I was surprised and second I wanted to see if it was a one-off event. It wasn't. Again,.
This is exactly what happened to me in 3rd gear straight line driving, it's a real wake up call isn't it. i still have my 70% worn PC2's on, they're still very good in the dry though.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
...I replaced them with Michelin Sport 4S's and it transformed everything. Highly recommend looking that direction. The 4S's are as amazing in all weather (cold+wet or dry+warm)...
I second the above recommendation. I don't have access to a track where I live (waaa!), so I just replaced the Cup2s with the Michelin Sport 4S. They're really fantastic on the GT4 for regular and very spirited road driving in multiple weather conditions.

If you go to dedicated winter wheels (I support this idea), then I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.

Enjoy your GT4! It's a fantastic car.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:18 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelsRBetter
If you go to dedicated winter wheels (I support this idea), then I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.
+1 for Michelin Alpin PA4. Had them on my last BMW xdrive sport wagon and they were fantastic in bad conditions! I had the chance to drive the car at the ice & snow covered skid pad at the track one evening, and I couldn't get it to step out unless I turned off traction control. The tires were amazing!
Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Don't use the Cup 2s in winter or wet. I can especially vouch for not using them in rain thanks to a hydroplaning experience. If you could say for sure you would only drive them in cold, but not wet, I'd say you are probably okay. But, they do not like cold so you would have to be cognizant 100% of the time not to get on the gas too fast around turns and things like that.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I pulled the Trofeo Rs off my car pretty fast after a drive or two in wet spring Vancouver weather at well above freezing. Went with the 4S' also. Very happy.

I'm too old for Rcomps in all weather. I used to do it in horrific below freezing weather routinely, never again. Life is too short for white knuckle driving due to tire choice.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 PM
emtell
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Just moved over to a GT4 from a 997 C4S a couple of weeks ago and reside in Seattle. Found a nice set of 20" wheels for track use and they will get the SC2's (literally lethal in wet/cold road use) that came with the car.
Needed help on deciding whether to mount dedicated winters or go with 4 season-ish tires on the stock rims and was converging towards the 4S's (thanks to GT4John for his input).

Had Alpin's on dedicated rims for winter use on the 911 but was hoping to avoid having 3 sets of tires/wheels (Track + Summer + Winter) on the GT4 but was flummoxed at not getting winters. Very difficult as a Canadian having grown up in Quebec where the only debate is whether to get ice or snow or studded tires for winter (thanks for great input from needmoregarage).

Wanted to add that this is probably the most concisely relevant discussion thread I have ever perused especially considering it is a very very very niche quandary.

Still cannot decide whether to get a summer/track setup on one wheel set and dedicated winter (Alpin) on the other - OR - get a 4 season (4S) setup for road use on one set and a more aggressive (slicks) setup exclusively for track use on the other set.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Looks like upper 30's are expected in Dec - Feb in Seattle. I have MPS4S on my car in Cincinnati. I'll drive at 40F and maybe 35F if I'm coming out of a warm garage and not planning to park my car outside for several hours. That said, the grip is not good in those temperature ranges. If I used my car as a DD in your weather I might look at a set of all weather tires.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi there,

I live in Bend, Oregon. A bit colder than your environment. The car will own the road with the proper tires. AS tires will be OK, but I would personally go for winter tread from November through March. They will save the SC2 tires for good driving weather and not scare the crap out of you!

I haven't DD'd a GT4 in the winter, but once did so with a M3, and with the right tires (Conti winter treads) the car was incredible. As good as the weight balance is on the M3, it is superior on the GT4 and will be even better in the snow.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-29-2020)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:40 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by emtell
Just moved over to a GT4 from a 997 C4S a couple of weeks ago and reside in Seattle. Found a nice set of 20" wheels for track use and they will get the SC2's (literally lethal in wet/cold road use) that came with the car.
Needed help on deciding whether to mount dedicated winters or go with 4 season-ish tires on the stock rims and was converging towards the 4S's (thanks to GT4John for his input).

Had Alpin's on dedicated rims for winter use on the 911 but was hoping to avoid having 3 sets of tires/wheels (Track + Summer + Winter) on the GT4 but was flummoxed at not getting winters. Very difficult as a Canadian having grown up in Quebec where the only debate is whether to get ice or snow or studded tires for winter (thanks for great input from needmoregarage).

Wanted to add that this is probably the most concisely relevant discussion thread I have ever perused especially considering it is a very very very niche quandary.

Still cannot decide whether to get a summer/track setup on one wheel set and dedicated winter (Alpin) on the other - OR - get a 4 season (4S) setup for road use on one set and a more aggressive (slicks) setup exclusively for track use on the other set.
Three sets are ideal. The other options are a compromise. This assumes you want full freedom to drive all winter.

Congrats on the GT4.

Quick Reply: GT4, DD, Sport Cup 2 and winter