Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

I looked at a Camaro ZL1 1LE today - talk me off the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 02:26 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I would have trouble with the fit and finish on the Camaro on a daily basis. The last time I drove one I couldn't see out of it very easily either (though, my Spyder is probably worse). Also, re: the check in the investment account -- you'll probably get the itch once you're over the Camaro and end up negating that check you got.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

I've eyeballed those cars myself. My baggage is that I think of the 80s GM car I had for my first car every time I sit in one. And those aren't good memories.

If I had space I would get one and try it out for a while. They definitely look cool and look pretty fun on track.

I wonder how they are on back roads.

But ultimately don't let forum people with no experience driving both cars influence you. Test drive one and do what your gut tells you. You'll have the most fun that way.

Does chevy have a track event / residency where you can do a track day with their car? I think they have a cadillac based one in nevada (i think?) not sure if there is a chevy one. I would do that if you have time.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

This is mine and not much can touch it.Been eating GT3 for lunch lately.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Old 08-05-2018, 01:45 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We look after a half dozen of the 1LE cars for clients who track them almost exclusively. I was expecting to be really pretty disappointed in the car. But, once dialed in, they are a pretty good package. I would not buy one, just not my cup of tea, but it is pretty impressive for a bow tie. Yes, the visibility is the ****s and it is a big car. The owners all have other cars they track ranging from GT3RS, GT3, etc and all are pretty fond of their ZL1 1LE cars for the money.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Bonzai30 (04-29-2022)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Resurrecting this thread because I am considering taking same action as OP and selling GT4 and getting a ZL1 1LE.

Its been out for another year now - maybe new opinions?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:31 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Still a GM product.

Surprised anyone cross shopping these things with a Porsche.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minthral
Still a GM product.

Surprised anyone cross shopping these things with a Porsche.
I only go to the track and it is faster there - it will also have a warranty. My warranty is running out on GT4 and that worries me because its saved me a lot of money.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 AM
w00tw00t
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My completely dialed-in-for-track Corvette Grandsport is for sale - I'd love to keep it but my wife says I can't keep two track cars (Just bought a GT4) - https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post15851197
Old 05-22-2019, 12:25 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Resurrecting this thread because I am considering taking same action as OP and selling GT4 and getting a ZL1 1LE.

Its been out for another year now - maybe new opinions?
You can't go wrong with the ZL1 1LE for a track car - suspension is not harsh but is firm and not great for street driving - GT4 will be a little nicer all around car - great at both. But from a speed perspective the 1LE is in a different class - it will simply crush a GT4. If you want a very capable track car, you can drive on the street the 1LE is a great value - a few months back they were blowing out the last 18's at $15k off MSRP - a lot of car for the $58k.

That being said the GT4 is probably a better all around car, nicer fit and finish. You can't go wrong keeping it either.

I went down this path a while back, had GT4, added a 15 Z/28 to stable when they were blowing them out in 15 - $76k MSRP - paid $53k - never regretted getting it for a second. It has been a great car and is loads of fun. I sold the GT4 about a year later as everytime I went to the garage I drove the Z and not the GT4, but I do miss it and the great sounds it made with Cargraphic headers. But when I am driving the Z - I never think about the GT4 unless I am on a tight mountain road, then I do miss its size and lighter weight.

The GT4 is the scalpel, the Z/28 the hammer - the ZL1 1LE is the sledge hammer.

Forget about a grand sport (no disrespect to poster above) - 1LE is superior platform in every way, except weight, but regardless will destroy a GS on the track.

Good luck finding what you like - plenty of great options and if you can get over the "Camaro" branding - you will always have a smile on your face when behind the wheel.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

It's the smell of American plastics and toxic off-gassing of the glue that hits me first when I sit in Camaros and Vettes.... then I go back to the German leather and all is right in the world again.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
I only go to the track and it is faster there - .
Buy a Radical....
Old 05-22-2019, 11:23 AM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Op here. I didn't buy the Camaro because I thought about driving this big heavy depreciating American boat and it turned me off. Just because the car is fast and looks cool doesn't mean it's quality. So I bought the only car I could think of that's put together more poorly, a Lotus. At least what I got probably won't depreciate.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VLJ
Op here. I didn't buy the Camaro because I thought about driving this big heavy depreciating American boat and it turned me off. Just because the car is fast and looks cool doesn't mean it's quality. So I bought the only car I could think of that's put together more poorly, a Lotus. At least what I got probably won't depreciate.
LOL - that's funny. Good choice though!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM
TM5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have over 20 de days in both. GT4 higher quality and better for overall use. For primary track day car would take ZL1 1LE any day - significantly faster - well driven Gt3 fast - consumables are much less expensive across the board - full set of brake pads $300 etc, track insurance is half as much, no need for any aftermarket parts, just align, change brake fluid and you are ready to go although you may find yourself quickly adding safety equipment given on track speeds. Also was more confident to push the car because it wasn’t $100k car. Only downside is very thirsty on track. In my experience car is bulletproof, just fluid changes and tires and this seems consistent with several other owners I have spoken to. Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
Bonzai30 (04-29-2022)

Quick Reply: I looked at a Camaro ZL1 1LE today - talk me off the ledge