Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Trade in as-is, put back to OEM or sell as-is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:42 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Trade in as-is, put back to OEM or sell as-is?

The time has come to seriously consider selling or trading in my GT4, as my GT3 will be here in less than two months. I really don't want to let it go and I'm weighing different options.

My car is track-ready with a rollbar, harness, toe links, spacers and would come with a set of track wheels. Entire car is wrapped in PPF, otherwise stock. Always dealer inspected, regular maintenance, wrapped in warm blankets after track days, etc.

What are your experiences with these different scenarios?
  • Trade in the car as-is to the dealer (who would need to get her back to stock to CPO)
  • Strip everything out, back to OEM, and sell off parts piece by piece, and trade into dealer
  • Sell to a private party who wants a track-ready GT4
Trading into the dealer helps me with sales tax on the new car. It's a 7% offset and probably less hassle, but also probably less in trade-in.
Getting her back to stock seems like a pain, and a cost to me, especially if someone wants to get it right back on the track. Then I'd need to sell all the related stuff one-by-one
Selling to a private party could involve a lot of back and forth, tire kickers and joy rides.

I'm getting a real trade in estimate from the dealer next week which should help me gauge where to start of the price.

Any advice otherwise? Carmax? haha.

Attachment 1349928
Old 07-08-2018, 10:57 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,081 Likes on 569 Posts

It's been my experence that stock always sells best. I'd be supprised if a dealer would take it and put it back to stock unless they steal it from you. You may want to take a quick shot at selling it as is . Look at the cost of putting it back to stock and deduct that from the market value on a stock car . So if it's a 100k car and it will cost 5k to put it back sell it for 95 k . It reminds me of selling a home with a pool in Wisconsin where I'm from . If you spend 50k on a pool you can deduct that from the price because of the short season. Here in Ca. It adds value because you can use it year around. Selling your car stock increases your pool of potential buyers. I guess it's that simple . You just have to decide if the work -reward ratio makes sence for you. Good luck. Carl
Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick reply Carl and the PMs from others. RL ad coming soon that includes all extras. Homework this week on price to take it back to stock, and dealer appraisal at OEM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Dealer consignment.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:52 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Agree with above comments. Also get dealer offer as-is. My local dealer often sells track prepped cars (GT cars).
Old 07-08-2018, 01:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Agree with above comments. If it's still in the window for CPO warranty, keep it inside the criteria for CPO.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Though I hate going the private sale route, I think I would give it a crack in this case. Dealer will knock the offer way down with the argument about the cost of returning to stock, when, as you suggest, the buyer is likely to be someone who also plans to track it. Given what it cost you to make the car fully track ready, a smart buyer will see a reasonable price as a chance to save both $$ and hassle.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

There was another guy that was willing his track prepped GT4 and stated the dealer really low balled him.

Here’s the link to his add for reference:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...s-harness.html
Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Sell it yourself. If you don't want to deal with pulling off the aftermarket parts, try to find a buyer who wants the car like it is now. Otherwise, put it back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts off separately -- it's the only way you'll recoup any of the cost of those parts.

Then, finalize the sale through the dealer. This way, you get your sales price _and_ you get the trade-in sales tax credit. Just clear it with the dealership first, but they shouldn't have a problem with it (it even counts as another sale for your salesman).

I did this when I sold my old Cayman R for the GT4. It ended up costing me about $500 in dealership fees, but it saved me a net of $3K on sales tax. It is a little more hassle for your buyer, but on the other hand s/he won't have to deal with DMV directly.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

The best structure, if your selling dealer would allow, is to create a private sale and have the dealer treat it as a pass through trade. Meaning, you would get the credit for a trade, and have the dealer handle the transaction to the buyer you find. My dealer did charge the buyer their normal dealer fee which they add on every deal but that was all. Additionally, the buyer was able to get the car CPO'd which he paid those costs as well. It was really Win Win if your dealer is not too greedy. That is how I sold mine.

Regarding the track mods, it does seem there are many more people who want the car stock.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 07-08-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:53 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
Sell it yourself. If you don't want to deal with pulling off the aftermarket parts, try to find a buyer who wants the car like it is now. Otherwise, put it back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts off separately -- it's the only way you'll recoup any of the cost of those parts.

Then, finalize the sale through the dealer. This way, you get your sales price _and_ you get the trade-in sales tax credit. Just clear it with the dealership first, but they shouldn't have a problem with it (it even counts as another sale for your salesman).

I did this when I sold my old Cayman R for the GT4. It ended up costing me about $500 in dealership fees, but it saved me a net of $3K on sales tax. It is a little more hassle for your buyer, but on the other hand s/he won't have to deal with DMV directly.
Good advise Bill.
Just out of interest, the seller pays sales tax on the sale of vehicles in the USA, is that correct ?
Here in Oz private buyers pay for it, they call it stamp duty, comes in at 4.2% of the total value of the car.
Cheers from down under.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

I really appreciate all the advice guys. I'll check with the dealer to see what's possible. Meanwhile I'll post an ad and see who bites. Just this post has sparked some interest in PMs.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Dealer consignment.
Great idea

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Agree with above comments. Also get dealer offer as-is. My local dealer often sells track prepped cars (GT cars).
I think mine likes to take them back to OEM for potential CPO.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Agree with above comments. If it's still in the window for CPO warranty, keep it inside the criteria for CPO.
Could be... should be

Originally Posted by Jim Cobb
Though I hate going the private sale route, I think I would give it a crack in this case. Dealer will knock the offer way down with the argument about the cost of returning to stock, when, as you suggest, the buyer is likely to be someone who also plans to track it. Given what it cost you to make the car fully track ready, a smart buyer will see a reasonable price as a chance to save both $$ and hassle.
It's got a lot of extras that are well done.

Originally Posted by Jim137a
There was another guy that was willing his track prepped GT4 and stated the dealer really low balled him.

Here’s the link to his add for reference:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...s-harness.html
I watched that one unfold... maybe the Atlanta area has a better market than Canada.

Originally Posted by BillC3

This sounds like the best interplanetary alignment yet.

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
The best structure, if your selling dealer would allow, is to create a private sale and have the dealer treat it as a pass through trade. Meaning, you would get the credit for a trade, and have the dealer handle the transaction to the buyer you find. My dealer did charge the buyer their normal dealer fee which they add on every deal but that was all. Additionally, the buyer was able to get the car CPO'd which he paid those costs as well. It was really Win Win if your dealer is not too greedy. That is how I sold mine.

Regarding the track mods, it does seem there are many more people who want the car stock.
Yes, yes and yes!

Originally Posted by James88
Good advise Bill.
Just out of interest, the seller pays sales tax on the sale of vehicles in the USA, is that correct ?
Here in Oz private buyers pay for it, they call it stamp duty, comes in at 4.2% of the total value of the car.
Cheers from down under.
Via a private sale in my state, taxes aren't added on to the price of a used vehicle. There is a tax paid via dealership sales on new cars which is based on my 7% county rate. In this case the amount that I trade in the GT4 for to the dealer is deducted from the price of the GT3 - and that's what I'm taxed on. Sounds like I might be able to find someone who would transact via the dealer and I could get both cake and pie. Also, in GA the buyer pays outrageous fees for the tag.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I’m in the same boat. I’ve always assumed that returning to stock is the best bet...
Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Try to sell as is first. Less hassle and expense.

If that doesn't work, return to stock and trade in if their offer is reasonable. Consider their offer plus the sales tax savings. If you could easily sell it for more, give that a try. If not, trading is easy.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pulled all the parts off myself. It's all for sale! Stock is much easier to sell. When I drove it into the dealership stock today, they now want to play ball. They wouldn't even touch it when I asked last month while I was there for service!

Quick Reply: Trade in as-is, put back to OEM or sell as-is?