Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Trade in as-is, put back to OEM or sell as-is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:21 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3

Then, finalize the sale through the dealer. This way, you get your sales price _and_ you get the trade-in sales tax credit. Just clear it with the dealership first, but they shouldn't have a problem with it (it even counts as another sale for your salesman).

Ahem, salesperson. My friend Tracy is one of top sales-people at Porsche Boise; she is killing it. I don't understand why P-car dealers don't hire more females.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:30 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Good advise Bill.
Just out of interest, the seller pays sales tax on the sale of vehicles in the USA, is that correct ?
Here in Oz private buyers pay for it, they call it stamp duty, comes in at 4.2% of the total value of the car.
Cheers from down under.
Generally, in the USA, the buyer pays the sales tax. So, by selling my old car through the dealer, the dealer counted it as a trade-in toward my new car. The buyer of my old car paid the sales tax on that car.

In some states, like mine, there's a trade-in allowance, where the buyer only pays sales tax on the difference between the cost of the new car and the trade-in value of the old car. If my state didn't have the trade-in allowance, I would have just sold my old car directly.

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Ahem, salesperson. My friend Tracy is one of top sales-people at Porsche Boise; she is killing it. I don't understand why P-car dealers don't hire more females.
You're right. Salesperson.​ Sorry
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Regarding the sales tax thing, keep in mind the buyer pays the tax and rate as it is applicable in their home state where the vehicle is to be registered and used. So, it does not matter if it is sold by the GA dealer or dealer from any other state. In my case, I'm in Florida so when I buy a car from any dealer in the US, I pay Florida tax. This is either done directly by the buyer, or the dealer will use a service who process the transaction for the buyer in any state. As little as I keep a car, I have been tempted to set up a Montana corporation where there is only a small fee and no tax. But, it still comes down to where you use the car is where you are supposed to register it.

For those people who live in a state that has a used vehicle casual sale rule allowing a tax free purchase if from an individual, yeah buying from the dealer will cost you because he must first transfer the title into their name before transferring it to you. In most cases it is simply reassigned on the same title, but has the same effect - from customer to dealer, from dealer to you.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:45 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW - My 2016 GT4 with 24K miles was recently appraised at $70K by Carmax. Needless to say - I did not play ball haha. When a buyer is shopping for a car, they look for the best condition, lowest miles, for the best price. In my experience, modifications do not add much value in a prospective buyer's eyes. It is almost always advantageous to remove easily removable modifications and sell stock. Especially if the modifications can be sold for thousands of dollars. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:52 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Trade in as-is, put back to OEM or sell as-is?

Thanks for the explanation Joe & Bill
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks for the great discussion guys. Car has been listed! It'll go back to stock in mid August if not sold by then.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post15131498
Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Thanks for the great discussion guys. Car has been listed! It'll go back to stock in mid August if not sold by then.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post15131498
Great car and ad, shouldn't last long. GLWS
Old 07-13-2018, 02:22 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need help going back to stock
Pm me
I literally just did it this past weekend
Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Quick update to this thread, as I'm the OP.

Thanks to Rennlist for the classified ad exposure which turned into a local connection who just purchased an awesome GT4. I kept some stuff, left some stuff, and in the end the buyer got a great deal.

I found the buyer and brought him to my dealer. The dealer sold him my GT4 (with a small markup) and his price was used as a trade-in to offset the amount of state sales tax I owed on the new GT3.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to all those who provided advice to make this happen. It's a creative deal that I didn't know possible without you guys!

Attachment 1349632
Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow the 3 is gorgeous! Is that Malachite Green? I almost ordered a 2009 Boxster S in Malachite but never saw one in person and decided not to take a chance.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Wow the 3 is gorgeous! Is that Malachite Green? I almost ordered a 2009 Boxster S in Malachite but never saw one in person and decided not to take a chance.
That's Oak Green Metallic. I also thought that Malachite would be awesome but I couldn't find anything life-size to take the chance. I spent a couple hours at ATL PEC to compare PTS greens, and I almost went with Malachite too. Never seen it on anything modern but I knew I couldn't go wrong after seeing Oak Green in the Porsche Museum.

Attachment 1349234
Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Quick update to this thread, as I'm the OP.

Thanks to Rennlist for the classified ad exposure which turned into a local connection who just purchased an awesome GT4. I kept some stuff, left some stuff, and in the end the buyer got a great deal.

I found the buyer and brought him to my dealer. The dealer sold him my GT4 (with a small markup) and his price was used as a trade-in to offset the amount of state sales tax I owed on the new GT3.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to all those who provided advice to make this happen. It's a creative deal that I didn't know possible without you guys!

Dammit that is a sweet color. Congrats. Park it in the garage and never drive it. Like I do.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:15 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

AAAggghhh, I love Oak Green Metallic! I've been drooling over the idea of a GT3 touring in OGM with brown leather buckets and some sort of funky fabric centers. Beautiful car sir!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Can you post a few more photos? Love green GT3s!
Old 08-16-2018, 05:12 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Dammit that is a sweet color. Congrats. Park it in the garage and never drive it. Like I do.
lolol

Quick Reply: Trade in as-is, put back to OEM or sell as-is?