Sponsored by: APR

Front Camber setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Front Camber setup

I posted this in the track setup sticky thread but have had no responses so thinking it maybe gets lost up there.

I am running a track-focussed setup with 3.5 neg F and R and 19" wheels. The rear was simple with just RSS toe links required. The front has involved changing a bunch of parts to get a) the camber right and b) to then get the wheels back centred after holing out a set of guard liners.

Then at the track yesterday my track support mechanic said they now fit cup car adjustable strut tops and it allows the required camber with a a whole lot less bottom shims and they only cost about A$600 a pair plus fitting. Has any one else done that and got the result they want? If so I am not so happy having spent quite a lot on the advice of another garage to get where I am now. The setup is good and does what I want (plus I guess it's all rose joint mounted now) but if the alternative is just as good, cheaper and uses genuine Porsche parts then I think I would have done that.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

I don't know about the Porsche motorsports parts but I recently added the Tarett camber plates. I was using just shims to get up to 2.4-2.5 negative up front but the caster was getting out of spec too much and getting closer to the liner.
I was happy with the -2.5 as I use my car for the street and track results were pretty good...maybe a bit more camber would be optimal.
Recently I upgraded to 19" Forgelines and Pirelli DH Slicks so those do require a lot more camber. As you mentioned the problem is I can't keep on adding shims so added the Tarett camber plates.
Without any change to the alignment/lower LCA shims/car...adding these added a full (1) degree of negative camber and correct a little bit the caster. So my cars now can go from -2.5 to -3.5 by moving the top of the struts.
It also brings the wheel a bit more to the inside on the top which is good for my new wheels. For the street I just add a spacer.
I still need the RSR tension rods and solid bushings to correct the caster if going over -3 degrees up front.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Currently running -3.0 F and -2.5 R on a street/track car. Rear only required toe links, Front is a combo of shims and camber plates. Originally F was only shimmed, had caster issues and slight rubbing after I dropped F ride height 10 mm.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:52 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Currently running -3.0 F and -2.5 R on a street/track car. Rear only required toe links, Front is a combo of shims and camber plates. Originally F was only shimmed, had caster issues and slight rubbing after I dropped F ride height 10 mm.
Bill...how is your caster at -3 degrees? Do you use a lot of shims up front with the camber plates?
If I can get decent caster without changing the tension rods and bushing I would prefer that.....but looks like -3.0 might be the limit.
Not sure how the Pirelli's will behave at -3.0, our tracks are not high speed so they might just survive and last at -3 degrees...haven't used them yet because UPS lost one of my front Forgelines almost 2 months ago......hopefully will settle the claim this month and have on order another front wheel.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Current caster averages 7.3. The camber plates add about 1 degree. The rest is shims. I have stock bushings and rod.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:39 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Current caster averages 7.3. The camber plates add about 1 degree. The rest is shims. I have stock bushings and rod.
Interesting. I thought stock was 8 or so on average with the GT4. I'm at 9.5 with no rubbing on a 981S (obviously not the same suspension or ride height). Were the caster problems just rubbing, or something else?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Thanks guys. So to get where I am today I have fitted;
RSS rear toe links
CMS sway bars F and R
RSS F and R monoballs
RSS F Adj toe/bump steer kit
Extended tie rod kit (to accommodate more spacers and thus more camber)
BBI Thrust Arm Bushings
BBI Thrust Arms
and various ancillary bit and pieces
Still no further on the CUP car parts though.
Does anyone know what camber the Clubsport car can achieve? Surely a better way to go is to just install Porsche Motorsport OEM parts if they work.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Clubsport Set Up is -3.83 F and -3.17 R
Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Thumbs up

Thanks Bill.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:39 PM
fastauto
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone with a standard GT4 can get this type of front - camber just from running the clubsport front plates?
Old 06-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

I'm sure this is a combination of shims plus camber plates. With shims alone last year I was -2.8, I'm now running Rennline camber plates which add 1 degree, I believe Tarett are the same. If I retained all my shims, I could be at -3.8 but removed some shims to get to -3.0. and get caster closer to stock.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

do camber plates have any additional benefit of bracing the front strut towers or spreading the axial load a bit better over what is there stock?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:20 PM
fastauto
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure this is a combination of shims plus camber plates. With shims alone last year I was -2.8, I'm now running Rennline camber plates which add 1 degree, I believe Tarett are the same. If I retained all my shims, I could be at -3.8 but removed some shims to get to -3.0. and get caster closer to stock.
I really want to stay away from the shim route. I just want a plate that can push me over -3. For this, do you think Tarett is the better route?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My caster is like 10.5 in the front. Using shims. No rubbing. But I think using 265/19 in the front will introduce some rubbing in the future. Perhaps I need to consider camber plates and use less shims. Would I need thrust pucks/arm to lower the caster value?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I am using plates, shims and tarrets bits and was able to achieve 3.7 front (3.0 rear) ... I was running 3.2 before the GT3 shims. Tires were still wearing a bit on the outside before so I am excited to give this new alignment a try tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Front Camber setup