Sponsored by: APR

Salvage GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Eric2016
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Salvage GT4

Is a typical salvage GT4 actually selling for $50K or thereabouts? I'm considering going that route for building a track car. Is the insurance estimate to repair available when bidding on salvage cars?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:09 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric2016
Is a typical salvage GT4 actually selling for $50K or thereabouts?
check copart.com. however, state laws vary regarding who can actually buy said cars. there are other auctions (sites), but i'm not familiar with how to access them

I'm considering going that route for building a track car. Is the insurance estimate to repair available when bidding on salvage cars?
the estimate is typically NOT available.

I don't know your background, but I would caution the salvage/auction route for the uninitiated newbie. i've heard of many burns. listings are typically listed if it at least runs and drives or not.

good luck.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a flood car last winter and am still fixing it, although it now runs and drives.

On salvage cars, if it has a salvage title, usually cannot be licensed. In Ohio, the State Patrol checks the car for stolen parts and has to approve it before the title can be converted to a rebuilt title, which is eligible for license plates. The OSP requires receipts with the VIN of the source vehicle for any used parts including any over $100. They can impound the vehicle if they feel it has stolen parts.

[EDIT] The car passed the Ohio State Patrol Inspection today (6 Jul 18) and now has plates and is street legal.[/Edit]

On a wrecked vehicle, due to the different materials used in the chassis, it takes special tools and techniques to fix. That is why I went with a flood car, which was mechanically good but had a lot of electrical damage.

V6

Last edited by Voyager6; 07-06-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

A flood salvage GT4 with a BGB 4.0 X51 and a suspension makeover would be a killer track car.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Eric2016
AutoX

Thanks for the feedback. I may be better off getting a non-salvage early Cayman and swapping out the suspension and drivetrain. That should get me close to GT4 performance.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:07 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Or just get a GT4. (*cough* mine)
Old 06-18-2018, 07:12 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Another option If you want a track only car and can drop some $$$$ on mods maybe a early 981 Cayman S with PDK would be the ticket.
You would have to send it to BGB for all the mods including an engine swap.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Eric2016
AutoX

I could drop some $$$ on upgrades. The objective would be GT4 performance levels (or greater) for less money. What should I expect to pay for the BGB mods? And, if I'm replacing the suspension and engine, is there any reason to start with an S?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

That's a better question for John at BGB......I'm not sure on this but I think your old engine is credited as a core (better to get something than nothing) and you get back a 3.8L....if this is the case the engine on the S will net more credit than a 2.7L on the base 981..
Worst case there's o core credit it would be easier to sell the 3.4L.
Also, John knows how to work the magic in getting everything working together.
Since it's PDK you already have good ratios and none of the 3rd gear problems, you just need GT Gears LSD. Suspensions and brakes you will need to change everything......Shocks, LCAs, Calipers, Discs, Drop Links, etc......
I was planning on going this route a couple of years ago but also using lightweight carbon fiber external panels and a semi-gutted interior.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:32 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

I watched a couple and mid 40s was the going price. The reason I was watching was after having an accident in mine and watching the repair (and associated cost), it seemed to me to be a potentially good deal to do what you are suggesting. If you need parts from the factory, you have to have the car repaired at a Porsche certified shop - they do not sell to just any repair shop. Repair costs to get the car back to stock are very high because there is pretty much only one source of parts.

If you know you are going to a track car, however, then you have flexibility and can get by with less than 100% new OEM parts and less than the insurance estimate. So a $40k insurance estimate might only be $25k for you.

Other points...you might be able to upgrade for the same price as OEM parts. I was covered by insurance, but if I wasn't, then I probably would not have paid OEM prices for two new wheels and changed to lighter weight forged wheels. Maybe you will also not be hypersensitive to paint matching since it will be a track car anyway. You might not need any of the interior repaired/fixed. If the passenger seat is destroyed - great deal; take it out and save 50lb! I had a small dent in the exhaust pipe and they replaced the entire driver's side exhaust (almost $2k) - if I was paying out of my pocket no way I would have replaced that.

I would have a hard time pulling the trigger on one of these salvage cars unless I was able to look at it.

An optimal case would be a car with "lots" of superficial body damage (enough to total it) but no damage to the hard points where the wheel/suspension mounts are. Of course you don't want the whole frame "bent" either. Repairs of body panels, lights (headlights are $1800 ea), wheels, etc., while expensive, are not likely to change handling characteristics, so perfect for a track car. Pulling off the front/rear bumpers would probably give you all the info you needed.

There was a relatively recent thread somewhere on here where they bought a flood car and converted it to a track car. Can't recall if it was a GT4 though.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Another option If you want a track only car and can drop some $$$$ on mods maybe a early 981 Cayman S with PDK would be the ticket.
You would have to send it to BGB for all the mods including an engine swap.
I'd do something like this - go to 295s on the rear, pads,rotors, new quality coilovers and a guards LSD (if you pick up a manual), chuck out all the junk add half cage - then see how you go - a well set up S is a great track car and you have significantly more choice of wheels and tires.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:41 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Just get a Radical. By the time you buy the GT4 and do any mods you could have bought at least an SR1. You'll end up with a much better track car.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
Just get a Radical. By the time you buy the GT4 and do any mods you could have bought at least an SR1. You'll end up with a much better track car.
I totally agree with this, and would love to get a SR1......unless you also want to drive it to the track and the occasional Sunday drive.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:05 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I totally agree with this, and would love to get a SR1......unless you also want to drive it to the track and the occasional Sunday drive.
For sure. I was commenting just on the idea of spending $50K on a salvage title car and then modding it. You might end up with something that has to be towed to the track at that point any way. Once you cross that line, may as well buy purpose built race car if you're going to be over $50K.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

You’ll spend less buying one done including pssobily a club sport.

Quick Reply: Salvage GT4