JNOSOL's GT4 Mods and Notes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default JNOSOL's GT4 Mods and Notes

Hello GT4'ers,

I would like to introduce myself on this forum. I'm Jimmy, this is my 3rd Porsche (991.1 GTS was my first) and came from (still have one) 13 BMWs. I recently sold my 991.2 GT3 and just picked up a GT4, which is new to me at 5,600mi (a GT3 is a better car all around, but it's not $80k better if you catch my drift). I wanted to share my notes and experience on owning the GT4. Hope to keep this thread open for my DIYs and conversations.

The GT4 I picked up had ERP links and track alignment done. Front under aero been removed and wing angle adjusted.

I did the following to prep for the first track event last weekend:

Oil Change - Mobil 0w40 (7qt exact), new filter, and new crush washer
The last owner changed it at 1,200mi, the oil seems very clean at 5,600mi

New Air Filter - OEM
I used Shark Werks 981 Air Filter Removal Tool (trust me, you'll want this tool)
Notes: The Cayman air filter placement allows a lot of junk into the box. You need to change or service it every 5-8k miles based on my discovery. This is at 5,600mi, it's disgusting. I would consider using BMC next after learning how quickly I have to service the filters.

New Brakes - OEM
The last owner did 2 track events and hard driving, the brakes had 35% left and already touch the brake sensor. I don't track enough to use full blown track pads. I did notice the OEM rotors had hairline cracks, will replace them with Brembo Type III when they're fried.
Notes: I tied the brake sensors away, I think it trips prematurely and unnecessary expense when the sensor is shorted. GT4 and 991 GT3 share the same part numbers.
Regrets: I should've replaced the brake lines with Spiegler 6-line system for easy brake job. Should've replace the caliper bolts with Tarett ARP studs - 62mm front and 85mm rear + brake bracket studs for easier brake change in the future.

Brake Fluid Flush - Castrol SRF
After all the research, Castrol React SRF seems to be the best. It has the highest wet boiling point, which is important for longevity.
To flush, the shop used a computer to open up the PSM to flush the entire system.

AWE Tuning Wind Foiler / Diffuser
This significantly reduces wind noise when the windows are down (track use). No more "booming" wind noise.

AutoQuest Seat Angle Adjuster for LWB
I hated the OEM seat angle. It's horrible on my back. The AutoQuest Seat Angle Adjustment changes the angle of the seat slightly, but enough to give my back some comfort. If you have LWB, I highly recommend it.

Notes: It's about 1/4" too long IMHO. Makes it harder to climb into the seat and raise my legs up higher than I wanted (I'm height challenged, if you're tall then you'll be fine).

Signature Fully Forged Monoblock SV104
20x9 front and 20x11.5 rear (yes, 11.5 rear to run 255/305 setup next)
Weight Savings over stock = 14.44LB

Notes: I'm affiliated with Signature. Please don't ask me for pricing, we have a commercial account on RL so please message that account. I personally configured the offset on this, it's perfect and no rubbing. You can ask me about the fitment and I'm happy to share.

Front Wheel: GT4 OEM vs Signature
23.92LB OEM / 20.76LB Signature SV104

Rear Wheel: GT4 OEM vs Signature
26.92LB OEM / 22.86LB Signature SV104

My impression on the GT4 platform compared to the 991.1 GTS and the 991.2 GT3 that I've owned?
Looks: I like the wide body 911 look better, but the GT4 is aggressive in its own rights. I got a few people sticking their phone out while driving to try and take photos. So I would give it an 8 out of 10, 991 GTS being an 8, 991 GT3 being a 9 and GT3 RS being a 10.
Handling: The GT4 handles like nothing I've driven before. It doesn't require a lot of effort to go around corners. Very light, nimble, and predictable. It's ridiculously fun to drive and be on the track, it's almost go-kart like. I do notice you can feel exactly what the car is doing, there's no surprises when something bad is about to happen. The steering feedback and feel is very good.
Transmission: This is the smoothest manual transmission car I've ever owned. Porsche nailed this, other than the whole 3rd gear failure thing. Very positive, precise, and good clutch engagement.
Braking: The GT4 has enough brakes to stop a rotating planet. However, it is a parts bin special borrowing brakes from the GT3 (a rear engine car). During hard braking, the rear end is very squirmy. Seems like the solution is TPC links along with DSC V3 module. Cheaper fix maybe is use more aggressive compound front and less aggressive rear.
Exhaust sound at WOT: Stock sound of the GT4 actually beats the 991.2 GT3. The GT4 has more piping allowing the flat 6 sound to open up gracefully. It sounded amazing on the track and I gotten a lot of compliments.

Enjoy these photos:

Thanks,
Jimmy
The following users liked this post:
i96danma (08-18-2022)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome Jimmy! My $.02 on your set up is Tarett caliper and brake line bracket stud kits are a must. They simplify pad and rotor changes immensely, so much so that I don’t need speigler brake lines. I would consider the Race Technologies RE-10 brake pads. I love them. Very kind to rotors, last forever, have excellent bite and modulation, and are not very noisy at all. In fact I would say they’re noise on the street is the same as stock. They are very expensive which is the only downside. Lastly I also have the DSC V3 and TPC Racing rear offset toe links with their recommended 3/4 track/street alignment. No more tail wag on hard braking, flat cornering, and even tire wear. PM me if you would like to talk about all this in more detail.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Hello GT4'ers,
I did the following to prep for the first track event last weekend:

Oil Change - Mobil 0w40 (7qt exact), new filter, and new crush washer
The last owner changed it at 1,200mi, the oil seems very clean at 5,600mi

Enjoy these photos:

I'm calling BS.

If those pics were from last weekend why did it have 2 different #s on the side: 307 & 317? What track are those pics from?

I also question that you only had to use 7 qts on an oil change. Either you didn't drain it completely or you didn't tell us about filling it up after the low oil message; especially on track.

Last edited by ExMB; 06-08-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Welcome Jimmy and thanks for sharing your opinions/impressions/mods.

I disagree with one statement: that the GT3 is a “better car all around”. I’ve not owned a GT3 but have spent considerable time driving them (street and track) and also in the right seat,

I have a strong preference for mid-engine. I’ve always preferred it - so for me, the GT3 is not “better”. Don’t get me wrong - it’s a great car and does some things very well. But I say the GT4 is “better all around” and by that I mean on track, on the street, for long trips or running errands.

I look forward to seeing what else you do to the GT4 and your impressions as you get more time behind the wheel.

Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
i96danma (08-18-2022)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 PM
cmosman
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Reiterating what PCarOMFS already indicated - dial in a little more toe-in in the rear and squirmy will disappear + turns more readily.
Welcome to the team!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:57 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by ExMB
I'm calling BS.

If those pics were from last weekend why did it have 2 different #s on the side: 307 & 317? What track are those pics from?

I also question that you only had to use 7 qts on an oil change. Either you didn't drain it completely or you didn't tell us about filling it up after the low oil message; especially on track.
Flat Out Classic June 2nd and June 3rd, Heartland Park Raceway. The first number represents run group, mine was run group 3. Second 2 numbers represent instructor ID, my assigned instructor after day 1 got sick so I had a different instructor on day 2. And why the hell would I lie about tracking my car? (confused)

https://www.nfimage.com/Flat-Out-Cla...t-Classic-2018

I don't drain the oil all the way, don't have the patient. Takes 7qt (using 2 Walmart jugs) so measurement was pretty close. I got it to 1 line before the "full" mark, which is where you want to be. I think I know how to change the oil. It's a pain to take measurement on the GT4, every time you open the hatch the car thinks you add oil so moving gears from the trunk to load into the garage reset the oil every time. But the car did need 1/4 quart for the weekend, not bad.

Wow, not sure what your problem is. You need to chill.

Last edited by Jnosol; 06-09-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:59 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by PCarOMFS
Welcome Jimmy! My $.02 on your set up is Tarett caliper and brake line bracket stud kits are a must. They simplify pad and rotor changes immensely, so much so that I don’t need speigler brake lines. I would consider the Race Technologies RE-10 brake pads. I love them. Very kind to rotors, last forever, have excellent bite and modulation, and are not very noisy at all. In fact I would say they’re noise on the street is the same as stock. They are very expensive which is the only downside. Lastly I also have the DSC V3 and TPC Racing rear offset toe links with their recommended 3/4 track/street alignment. No more tail wag on hard braking, flat cornering, and even tire wear. PM me if you would like to talk about all this in more detail.
Thanks so much for the feedback.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

In addition to a little toe-in in the rear, stiffer springs in the front help with the squirm under braking.

The Tarett 448/560 springs work well, but so do 394/560 springs or 336/504 springs. I have the last option now and can still tell that there is less weight transfer under braking, but 336/504 seems to match the damping better than when I had 394/560, but that's personal preference. (stock is 257/457 btw).
Old 06-09-2018, 01:07 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Welcome Jimmy and thanks for sharing your opinions/impressions/mods.

I disagree with one statement: that the GT3 is a “better car all around”. I’ve not owned a GT3 but have spent considerable time driving them (street and track) and also in the right seat,

I have a strong preference for mid-engine. I’ve always preferred it - so for me, the GT3 is not “better”. Don’t get me wrong - it’s a great car and does some things very well. But I say the GT4 is “better all around” and by that I mean on track, on the street, for long trips or running errands.

I look forward to seeing what else you do to the GT4 and your impressions as you get more time behind the wheel.

Enjoy!
I do love the mid-engine feel for sure and how much lighter the GT4 is. Don't get the impression that I'm bashing in any way, I enjoy the GT4 otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Originally Posted by cmosman
Reiterating what PCarOMFS already indicated - dial in a little more toe-in in the rear and squirmy will disappear + turns more readily.
Welcome to the team!
Thanks so much. I'll work on my driving skills (which is pretty weak) first, then I'll start messing with the car with more mods.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:20 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Yargk
In addition to a little toe-in in the rear, stiffer springs in the front help with the squirm under braking.

The Tarett 448/560 springs work well, but so do 394/560 springs or 336/504 springs. I have the last option now and can still tell that there is less weight transfer under braking, but 336/504 seems to match the damping better than when I had 394/560, but that's personal preference. (stock is 257/457 btw).
Thanks so much, I'll have to add this to my "to-dos" for next season. I'd rather take notes from someone who tried it all like yourself then trying to learn it the hard way.
This summer I'm trust trying to learn the car. The last owner had it setup pretty perfect, temp probs was used on the tires and temp variation was only 5% across.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:30 AM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Flat Out Classic June 2nd and June 3rd, Heartland Park Raceway. The first number represents run group, mine was run group 3. Second 2 numbers represent instructor ID, my assigned instructor after day 1 got sick so I had a different instructor on day 2. And why the hell would I lie about tracking my car? (confused)

https://www.nfimage.com/Flat-Out-Cla...t-Classic-2018

I don't drain the oil all the way, don't have the patient. Takes 7qt (using 2 Walmart jugs) so measurement was pretty close. I got it to 1 line before the "full" mark, which is where you want to be. I think I know how to change the oil. It's a pain to take measurement on the GT4, every time you open the hatch the car thinks you add oil so moving gears from the trunk to load into the garage reset the oil every time. But the car did need 1/4 quart for the weekend, not bad.

Wow, not sure what your problem is. You need to chill.
Seems to be the norm with this guy from what others claim and the little I've seen.
There's always one....
Old 06-09-2018, 01:32 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by GT TREE
Seems to be the norm with this guy from what others claim and the little I've seen.
There's always one....

He might be trolling me, lol.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk

Yargk is correct about the stiffer spring rates eliminating dive, but you don’t need stiffer springs if you choose to use the DSC controller. Pick either stiffer springs or DSC.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Welcome and cool photos!

I had had exactly the opposite views on the GT3.2 comparison to my GT4. After driving my friend’s manual .2, I walked away with the impression that it was faster, had better handling, braking and sounded much better then my GT4. GT4 is a great car, best I’ve ever owned... but the new GT3.2 is on another level.

I see had a PDK GT3, that’s probably why you like the GT4 better
Old 06-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by PCarOMFS

Yargk is correct about the stiffer spring rates eliminating dive, but you don’t need stiffer springs if you choose to use the DSC controller. Pick either stiffer springs or DSC.
Good to know. How's the stiffer spring for the street? Since the strut isn't valved for the stiffer rate, wouldn't that make it bouncy and unstable?

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Welcome and cool photos!

I had had exactly the opposite views on the GT3.2 comparison to my GT4. After driving my friend’s manual .2, I walked away with the impression that it was faster, had better handling, braking and sounded much better then my GT4. GT4 is a great car, best I’ve ever owned... but the new GT3.2 is on another level.

I see had a PDK GT3, that’s probably why you like the GT4 better
Oh no, I didn't say the GT4 is better than a 991.2 GT3 at all. The 9k RPM bespoke motor, wide body, and crazy torque - C'mon LOL. What I said what the stock GT4 sounds better than a stock GT3, exhaust sound and not engine valve train sound. I said the GT3 is better than the GT4 in my opinion, but it's not $80k better.

I like manual and PDK equally.

Also, it's disappointing the Porsche didn't put stronger 3rd gear on the GT4. After 78 reported cases on RL alone, you would think they'll recall the issue and replace it with stronger parts.

Quick Reply: JNOSOL's GT4 Mods and Notes