Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Change Brake Fluid at 2 Year Service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,172 Posts
Default Change Brake Fluid at 2 Year Service?

I'm due for an annual oil change and only have a little over 3,200 miles on my GT4.
The original owner had the oil changed initially, after 1 year at 860 miles.

Upon contacting my dealer, they said that I would be due for a bi-annual brake fluid change and the total cost would be $970 for both engine oil, brake fluid change, and pollen filter change.
I'm a bit surprised at this 2 year interval for the brake fluid.

Has anyone had this done?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:50 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I opted to forego the brake fluid change at the 2 year service, as I do not track my car. I just got an oil change (I brought my own Mobil 1) and also had the WG84 upgrade performed, so now I can charge my car through the cigarette lighter. That latter service, as well as charging up the battery as I hadn't driven much over the winter, was no charge. I have 9300 miles.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:52 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in a similar situation as you are in. I will go through the same thing in July: Service interval 1 is due in July and Service interval 2 is due in September. So I will do both in July to be done with it.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Brake fluid is hydrophilic and should be changed every two years. If its not changed it can cause premature corrosion on the internals of the brake system. It can also lead to a soft pedal on hot days/aggressive braking.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

I’d do it, but try an Indy shop out. I’m sure there are plenty in SF that will charge less!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
I’d do it, but try an Indy shop out. I’m sure there are plenty in SF that will charge less!
Agreed, or buy a Motiv Brake Bleeder and do it yourself.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 PM
never enuf
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an independent Porsche shop do it and they charged $150 for a complete flush.. They used Porsche DOT 4 brake fluid and let me watch them. Next time I'll do it myself as it's a simple process.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Almost a thousand bucks for a brake fluid flush and oil change tells me the dealer is a slimeball operation. You are talking about an hour of labor and maybe $200 in parts/materials. I guess enough people are too wealthy (or dumb) to care that they are being screwed. Sheesh.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Brake fluid is hydrophilic and should be changed every two years. If its not changed it can cause premature corrosion on the internals of the brake system. It can also lead to a soft pedal on hot days/aggressive braking.
This is the main reason I’d would do the brake fluid flush. Years ago I had a motorcycle and I didn’t do the fluid flush on -after a long winter in storage I found that the seals on both front and rear brakes had went out and many of the components in the braking system had rusted.

My CGTS is also due for its 2 year service and I plan to pay the “Porsche Tax” and have my dealer do the 2 year service for several reason:

My car is still under warranty and I feel that doing all of the recommended services will help to keep my warranty valid. I don’t want to be in a situation later on down the road and have the dealer come back and say that’s not cover because you didn’t properly maintain your car.

If i decide to sell my car I feel that any potential buyer will see that all of the maintenance is up to date and we all know Porsche buyers can be picky.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:24 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

$970 for pollen filter, engine oil and brake fluid flush is ridiculous. Talk to your service manager and ask them to price match part prices with Suncoast. You can even buy your own Mobil 1 0W-40 and DOT 4 brake fluid and give it to them to use. I’m betting you could have all that done for $500.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Just skip the pollen filter. Should be able to save $300 LOL!
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (09-21-2019)
Old 06-05-2018, 02:27 AM
mickav8r
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated above brake fluid is hydrophilic and should be changed at least every 2 years. Skipping it because you don't track is not a good idea especially considering that those of us that do track our cars are bleeding and flushing a hell of a lot more often than that ie at least a full flush a year plus usually bleeding after each track event.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 AM
Evo X
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 80 Posts

Definitely don't skip it. I bought the parts and did oil change and brake flush myself since a friend has all the tools and a lift. Took the wheels off and gave them a proper cleaning too.

My pedal feels MUCH better now.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I think higher temp brake fluid tends to be more hydrophilic than say whatever is in most Toyotas so Porsche’s recommendation of every 2 years is something you would want to follow. If you were tracking it you’d be changing it every 6 months and bleeding every few events. 2 years is not a short interval.

however these Carrera brakes are a pita to bleed at least for me. I think I spent 8 hours last time I did it. If an Indy can do it for less than $150 that is starting to sound very attractive.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 AM
mickav8r
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
I think higher temp brake fluid tends to be more hydrophilic than say whatever is in most Toyotas so Porsche’s recommendation of every 2 years is something you would want to follow.
That might be the case but even Honda recommends a 3 year interval, Toyota actually has no interval but says it 'should be checked'. Castrol SRF has proven to be much more resilient than Ive expected it to be, though it jives with others experiences. I did a bleed in late summer last year in my BMW and did several track days and left it for the winter. Tested it before doing my spring flush and the fluid had 0% water in it, even after a full snowy new england winter. It actually makes the 90 day bleed/flush requirement of my local BMWCCA kinda annoying as it can be completely unnessary at times.

Needless to say my GT4 needs the 2 year flush and it will get it as soon as I can get my motive bleeder back from a friend.

Quick Reply: Change Brake Fluid at 2 Year Service?