Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT3 82mm throttle body using stock plenum!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:29 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Before

After-notice the transition is smoother now entering the plenum
Old 05-29-2018, 04:52 PM
polobai
Drifting

Now the "hard part" is done-time to see if we can make the stock y pipe fit. In my Supra days, we used to take the stock turbo inlet hose and fit it over a bigger MAF sensor by heating up the hose to make it pliable-worked every time. I figured I could try the same method as this is less of a stretch and see how it works.

Now...can we make this fit?

Boil some water

Find a pot to put the water in to make the rubber pliable

Filled with water and cookin the y-pipe!
Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 PM
polobai
Drifting

Success! Didn't take much finessing.

Showing that it seated all the way around. FYI, the part with the numbers should face the top-had to turn it around.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM
polobai
Drifting

As we know, heat robs HP. In an effort to combat this-I wrapped the plenum in heat reflective material on the underside. Its important to only wrap the underside as you want any heat to rise up and escape off the top side. If you wrap the entire thing (think header wrap), then you are actually containing more heat in the plenum-this is good for headers, but not for intakes and will actually make you lose power. At $20 for the material and time-its worth a shot.

Heat shielding-also purchased some aluminum tape to secure the ends (not pictured)

Cleaned the underside of the plenum with this

Applied to the bottom side

Finished with the aluminum tape

Finished product showing that its barely visible from the installed position.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:30 PM
polobai
Drifting

Believe it or not,removing and installing the new plenum was the hardest part for me. I am very mechanically inclined-but getting the old plenum off was a pain-and putting the new one on was worse!!!! Those sealing rubbers are really tricky-and not alot of room for someone who is 6`2" to work back there!

Panels removed-I used this video to guide me through it:

Access!!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:50 PM
polobai
Drifting

I remember reading someones install thread for their IPD plenum and stating to leave all the covers and panels off and start the car/drive around to make sure all is well-glad I did that as the rubber seal on the passenger side was not seated all the way and I had to remove/redo it. Took the car for a spin around the block and it feels good-no noticeable improvement-but the engine cover was off and it was super loud and hot-going to button everything up and then head to get a pro-tune in a month or so to see where it lands!

Old Vs New with all the parts transferred over

Finally in and good to go!!! Hope you guys enjoyed and found it useful!
Old 05-29-2018, 06:39 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

Cool thread/project. Will be interesting to see where you come in for total gains!
Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Thumbs up
Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by avusm3
Cool thread/project. Will be interesting to see where you come in for total gains!
Curious on the gains also! Have to set an appointment with bgb Motorsports to get that pro tune done!!!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:06 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Awesome work! Look forward to seeing the results! It's nice to see the un-detuning of the engine. That 15hp difference between the 911s and the GT4 should be only an intake away...
Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I like what you're doing here.
Would think insulating the top as well would help, it gets really hot in there.
May apply Swain Tech White Lightning ceramic coating to my IPD plenum at the end of the season.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Please dyno!

It looks like you have numbers for before the headers, did you ever get after header numbers?
Old 05-30-2018, 02:47 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yargk
Please dyno!

It looks like you have numbers for before the headers, did you ever get after header numbers?
Thanks-I have not dyno'd since installing the race headers and flashing to stage 2-but speaking with a few people it should gain around 15-20 whp. Instead of dynoing again for another $100-I would rather put that towards a pro-tune and get a final number that way. Planning on setting up some time with BGB in the next month or so to get this done-this way I can drive the car a bit and let the ECU do whatever adapting it needs to with the new throttle body setup.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Thanks-I have not dyno'd since installing the race headers and flashing to stage 2-but speaking with a few people it should gain around 15-20 whp. Instead of dynoing again for another $100-I would rather put that towards a pro-tune and get a final number that way. Planning on setting up some time with BGB in the next month or so to get this done-this way I can drive the car a bit and let the ECU do whatever adapting it needs to with the new throttle body setup.
Protune is great, but the numbers would be most useful if after you've done everything (including protune), you make sure to take it to the same dyno that you used previously. I trust BGB and they're awesome, but if their dyno is different, it's just not a scientifically valid comparison. If you make the trip later to the same dyno, we'd at least have a real comparison, even if it's OTS tune stage 1 vs. headers/TB/protune. It's worth a lot to the community. Want me to paypal you $20?

BTW, I agree about the plenum; beautiful work.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:16 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yargk
Protune is great, but the numbers would be most useful if after you've done everything (including protune), you make sure to take it to the same dyno that you used previously. I trust BGB and they're awesome, but if their dyno is different, it's just not a scientifically valid comparison. If you make the trip later to the same dyno, we'd at least have a real comparison, even if it's OTS tune stage 1 vs. headers/TB/protune. It's worth a lot to the community. Want me to paypal you $20?

BTW, I agree about the plenum; beautiful work.
Lol-let me get the protune done and we will see. Honestly-I chose a place with a similar model dynojet to BGB and I know they are going to have different results, but BGB also stated that the dyno numbers I had were in line with what they dyno'd similar setups in the past. I figure BGB will do a baseline as the car sits before the pro-tune starts and that will give me a heads up as to what the header/tb gains are without the pro-tune. I dont really care to go back to the same dyno if I can avoid it-problems with access to get RPM readings so its really just measuring peak numbers and showing a graph without RPM.

Quick Reply: GT3 82mm throttle body using stock plenum!!!