Bad Timing to Sell? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

GT4 For the Cayman GT4 and the similar to come Boxster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Timing to Sell?

Reply

Old 04-11-2018, 02:30 PM
  #1  
VLJ
User
Thread Starter
 
VLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 558
Default Bad Timing to Sell?

Just curious if anyone knows what the current GT4 market is like from trying to sell recently. My car is a $108K MSRP with CF buckets, chrono, climate control, PCCB, PCM. IMO it's all the good stuff without any of the highly individual, polarizing options like painted interior bits, colored seat belts, or loud stitching.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the car for a few months but if it's bad timing I'm not going to be sad if I keep it, I love this car more than any I've ever owned. Would probably replace it with Exige S240 and keep some cash to invest in my business if I did sell.

Sorry if this question bothers anyone, just hoping to keep from wasting time getting it photographed and ready to sell if it's not the time to sell it.
VLJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 PM
  #2  
cox1974
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
cox1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Puglia
Posts: 388
Default

i've sold mine to the dealer after 2.5 years and 21.000 km at MSRP (same price of purchase)... bought a gt3 991.2 manual with 7% discount on MSRP ....
a good friend of mine bought a gt4 with 5000 km at 100.000 euro... and sold it after a month at 112.000 euro
cox1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:51 PM
  #3  
ExMB
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ExMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,078
Default

The only one that can make that decision is you. The market is highly location dependent and therefore what goes in one may or may not go in another. You are also dealing with the rumors of a new version to be introduced/released towards year end.
IMHO the chrono is worthless on that car (app issues mostly) since its a fancy clock/timer more or less. The PCM is outdated. PCCBs has its fans but ......
That being said, if the right person came along ..... but how much time and effort are you willing to invest?
ExMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM
  #4  
Bossing
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Bossing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,049
Default

Originally Posted by VLJ View Post
Just curious if anyone knows what the current GT4 market is like from trying to sell recently. My car is a $108K MSRP with CF buckets, chrono, climate control, PCCB, PCM. IMO it's all the good stuff without any of the highly individual, polarizing options like painted interior bits, colored seat belts, or loud stitching.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the car for a few months but if it's bad timing I'm not going to be sad if I keep it, I love this car more than any I've ever owned. Would probably replace it with Exige S240 and keep some cash to invest in my business if I did sell.

Sorry if this question bothers anyone, just hoping to keep from wasting time getting it photographed and ready to sell if it's not the time to sell it.
How many miles on yours?

From what I have been seeing, dealers are offering anywhere from 5%-10% below msrp to even as much as 20% below msrp for ones that have some miles. Basically moderate to strong wholesale.... so they can list it above sticker and resell at or near sticker, obviously for profit.... it won't tank like a regular Cayman or 911 but gone are the days to trade-in a GT4, with a few thousand miles on it, for msrp.
Bossing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
  #5  
Christmas50
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by cox1974 View Post
i've sold mine to the dealer after 2.5 years and 21.000 km at MSRP (same price of purchase)... bought a gt3 991.2 manual with 7% discount on MSRP ....
a good friend of mine bought a gt4 with 5000 km at 100.000 euro... and sold it after a month at 112.000 euro
European market is very different. Always was and always will be.
Christmas50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:46 PM
  #6  
Dr.Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dr.Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 2,946
Default

Right now there are 71 listed on cars.com and 48 on the Porsche pre-owned locator (37 with CPO). Seems like a fair number for a niche car.
Asking price still seems to be at or just over MSRP. Not sure what they actually sell for.
Dr.Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM
  #7  
VLJ
User
Thread Starter
 
VLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 558
Default

Originally Posted by Bossing View Post
How many miles on yours?

From what I have been seeing, dealers are offering anywhere from 5%-10% below msrp to even as much as 20% below msrp for ones that have some miles. Basically moderate to strong wholesale.... so they can list it above sticker and resell at or near sticker, obviously for profit.... it won't tank like a regular Cayman or 911 but gone are the days to trade-in a GT4, with a few thousand miles on it, for msrp.
8800 miles. If the dealer offered me 10% back of MSRP I'd probably sell it to them, might drive over there and find out. My guess is, with Porsche Scottsdale, the number would be significantly lower than that. Only one way to find out.
VLJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:19 PM
  #8  
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist
Member

 
Mr Michael B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Central US of A
Posts: 2,229
Default

This is probably the high of the market. When I picked up my Sons GT4 I haggled with the dealer using that theory, and mentioning the possibility of the 4.0 version that could be on its way. They did come super close to my terms after that & shortly after I drove it away.

My thoughts were/are ~ Its a great car, and my Son was ready to enjoy it now. Why wait another day to get one? After the drive home I knew that we wouldn't ever look back & think that we cheated ourselves.
Mr Michael B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:32 PM
  #9  
Christmas50
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 171
Default

I have to disagree with you on high market. Only pristine low miles CPO cars are going for MSRP or slightly below MSRP. IMO times for charging over the MSRP are gone.
I've seen majority of the cars sitting there for months because they are overpriced. If new GT4 is NA I would predict prices will go lower. Again JMO
Christmas50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:02 PM
  #10  
Dr.Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dr.Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 2,946
Default

Originally Posted by VLJ View Post
8800 miles. If the dealer offered me 10% back of MSRP I'd probably sell it to them, might drive over there and find out. My guess is, with Porsche Scottsdale, the number would be significantly lower than that. Only one way to find out.
You could also ask Chandler. And some of the dealers with lots of GT cars - Fresno, North Houston, Colorado Springs, etc. Or try a broker or consignment service.
Dr.Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:07 PM
  #11  
Christmas50
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by VLJ View Post
8800 miles. If the dealer offered me 10% back of MSRP I'd probably sell it to them, might drive over there and find out. My guess is, with Porsche Scottsdale, the number would be significantly lower than that. Only one way to find out.
I think they are going to offer you 15% back of MSRP. Selling to them is not the best option.
Christmas50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 PM
  #12  
Perimeter
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Perimeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: USA PNW + AZ
Posts: 1,457
Default

Talk to the GM, AJ (Arthur), at Porsche Chandler

AJ Chacon
Main: 480-994-9000
[email protected]


Please tell him Scott sent you - I have two GT4s, he will know who you are referring to
Perimeter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:24 PM
  #13  
VLJ
User
Thread Starter
 
VLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 558
Default

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill View Post
You could also ask Chandler. And some of the dealers with lots of GT cars - Fresno, North Houston, Colorado Springs, etc. Or try a broker or consignment service.
Ive talked to CJ, he owns Scottsdale McLaren and Porsche Fresno as well as Ryan Woon at DDW. Neither of them sounded too excited.

Thanks for the Chandler referral perimeter.
VLJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM
  #14  
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist
Member

 
Mr Michael B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Central US of A
Posts: 2,229
Default

Originally Posted by Christmas50 View Post
I have to disagree with you on high market. Only pristine low miles CPO cars are going for MSRP or slightly below MSRP. IMO times for charging over the MSRP are gone.
I've seen majority of the cars sitting there for months because they are overpriced. If new GT4 is NA I would predict prices will go lower. Again JMO
I think we are saying the same thing Christmas. If you were referring to my post that is.

When I said:
Originally Posted by Mr Michael B View Post
This is probably the high of the market. When I picked up my Sons GT4 I haggled with the dealer using that theory, and mentioning the possibility of the 4.0 version that could be on its way. They did come super close to my terms after that & shortly after I drove it away.
I meant that these current prices are representitive of the high of the market. Its not going to go up from here. Then going on to say that I used that theory at the dealer myself. Again, it seems as we are saying the same thing.
Mr Michael B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:51 PM
  #15  
Christmas50
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 171
Default

Ha ha ha .Seems like it. LOL!
Christmas50 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: